Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,666
Solutions: 760

Re: conflict with internet explorer and NIS 2009?

kahilliard,

This sounds like more of an IE issue than a Norton issue, so I would troubleshoot the browser fully before uninstalling/reinstalling Norton.  Since I believe you have reverted back to IE7 the menu bar may just be hidden.  If you have a toolbar, right click on it and choose "classic menu."  If you cannot get to tools, this Microsoft Help and Support page has a "Fix It" button that will reset IE for you, or you can follow the instructions to reset the browser manually.

Visitor
kahilliard

Thanks for the advice. Actually I previously went to a regular computer tech support board and posted extensive details before I came here. After trying all those things you suggested (I tried the Fixit, tried System Restore, tried changing the registry with instructions at the Fixit site) and having no success, I got the suggestion from someone that it sounded like a Norton problem and I came here. By that time I was getting tired and didn't write all the details of what I had done, but I think I tried just about everything I could that would fix the IE alone. (I don't have a menu bar,  a toolbar or anything clickable in IE that does anything!) So I am ready to try the NIS uninstall and IE reinstall, hope it works.
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,666
Solutions: 760

Yikes.   As you mentioned in your opening post, disabling Auto-Protect would be a good idea if you reinstall Norton before IE.
dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,292
Solutions: 263

[ Edited ]

" So I am ready to try the NIS uninstall and IE reinstall, hope it works. "

I think this may be the best approach right now.  I would download the install files and then remove NIS (using the NRT also if possible). 

Then reinstall IE (this should repair the IE application).  Reboot the system and check IE for toolbars, menus, etc. 

If this is fine, then install NIS2009 once more.  After the installation, reboot the system and then check IE.  Then run Live Update manually until the message that Live Update has found no more updates for NIS2009. 

Then reboot and check once more.  Thanks.

Message Edited by dbrisendine on 07-15-2009 01:26 PM
Win7 x32 SP1 NIS 21.1.0.18
Visitor
kahilliard

Finally--uninstalled NIS, reinstalled IE8, then NIS09, and it all works. I had to disable 2 addons in IE8 that conflicted (Sonic was one of them, and I think last week we got the bsod when Sonic was trying to kick in--I was formatting a CD-R disc at the time--so it obviously didn't get along with IE8). The first Live Update of NIS after the reinstall didn't work completely, but the second one did. I did hide the Norton toolbar (don't have anti-phishing protection) for sake of space, but as long as the whole things works, I am fine with this solution.

Thanks very much for the help, especially the links. :smileyvery-happy:

dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,292
Solutions: 263

I'm glad that this worked for you.  I will have to remember the Sonic / IE8 conflict issue. 

If you need anything else, come and ask anythime.

Win7 x32 SP1 NIS 21.1.0.18
Visitor
kahilliard

To clarify, the anti-phishing is working in NIS now, although I have the toolbar hidden. NIS seems fully functional, and so does IE8.