Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
timboyboy

full scan in safe mode necessary?

hi normally i always do full scan in safe mode

how necessary is that? is it always better to do full scan in safe mode?

Symantec Employee
viveksu

Re: full scan in safe mode necessary?

Hi,

Yes, running a full scan is safe mode will protect your PC against any malicious activities in Safe Mode.

Symantec Employee
SGanesh_Ande

Hi,

It is not always necessary to RUN the FULL SYSTEM SCAN in SAFE MODE. You can RUN the FULL SYSTEM SCAN in Normal Mode without any Hassle and FIX every Threat that Norton Detects.

FULL SYSTEM SCAN in SAFE MODE is advisable If you are unable to start your Symantec Anti-virus / Internet Security / 360 Product, or the Product reports that it cannot delete a detected file. In This kind of Cases you may need to stop the risk from running in order to remove it. To do this, you have to run the Scan in Safe mode. After the files are deleted, restart the computer in Normal mode.

Let me Know If you have any doubts.

Regards,

Ande Siva Ganesh

Symantec Product Support

- " Confidence in a Connected World "

Regular Contributor
timboyboy

i notice running norton in safe mode , norton seems to scan more files?

Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus

Yes, less files are in use by Windows in Safe Mode and can therefore be opened for scanning.

Regular Contributor
timboyboy

so in other words, it would be better to do a full scan in safe mode?

Symantec Employee
Sym_KeN

Hi Timboyboy, I understand that you are running Scan featre in Safe Mode.

It is appreciated because of Safe Mode scan is more efficient. In safe mode, only Windows services will be loaded.That means if there is any type of Threats, the service for that particular threats are not loaded and because of that every malicious files will be detected and removed.

Continue to run the Scan feature in Safe Mode..

Cheers!

Regards
Sym_KeN
floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hello timboyboy

If you let NIS 2012 run by itself as in default settings, it will do the idle full system scan in normal mode. That is sufficient unless you have symptoms of malware and you think that there is malware in your computer. Then you can do the full system scan in safe mode. It shouldn't be necessary to run it all the time that way.

To have a 2nd and 3rd opinion, you can run the free versions of Malwarebytes and SUPERANTISpyware. They are both safe to use with your Norton products and some times pick up what Norton may miss. No one security program is going to be 100 % efficient at any time. Each engine specializes in different types of malware. Therefore, I like to run scans with both of these products also. Please remember to update those 2 products since they get new updates quite often.  If you need the links for them, please let me know. Thanks

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.