Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
GreatNate1312
Accepted Solution

how do I scan email attachments with Norton internet security 2009 before I open them?

how do I scan email attachments with Norton internet security 2009 before I open them?
PapauZ
Topics: 391
Kudos: 1,023
Solutions: 374

Re: how do I scan email attachments with Norton internet security 2009 before I open them?

It is scanning it during the opening, when founds anything immediately deletes/quarantains the files.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.2.0.38

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Re: how do I scan email attachments with Norton internet security 2009 before I open them?

Hi GreatNate1312,

There is no need for you to scan the email attachments manually before you open it. Norton AntiVirus Email Scanning verifies that email and attachments are free from viruses and other malicious code as you download them from your Internet service provider (ISP). This will be performed as a background task when the emails gets downloaded to your computer(before you view/open it). Also, the Auto-Protect protects your computer from viruses and other malicious code by automatically scanning any email attachment file that is opened, moved, or copied on your hard drive.

The incoming email scanning feature, which is monitoring port 110 for incoming email, saves the messages in a single file in Windows temporary folder and scans the file for viruses. Once it has determined that the email is virus-free, it responds to the server and allows the download of the email. If any threat is detected in the email or it's attachment, then that one is blocked from entering your computer itself.

Even disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments. The Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans all the incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this.

Note: This happens only if you download the emails using any of the Email clients such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Thunderbird or Windows mail that uses the Standard Pop3 and SMTp ports. Email Scanning does not work with AOL or Web-based email programs, such as Yahoo or Hotmail. The email databases used by Web-based email services, such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Juno, and AOL, reside on a remote server. Email Scanning can only scan email messages that exist on the hard drive. Because of this, email Scanning cannot scan email for those Web-based email programs.

Yogesh

Regular Contributor
NY1986

[ Edited ]
Yogeesh- I have heard that Yahoo email uses Norton as a scanning mechanism? For attachments I mean
Message Edited by NY1986 on 01-23-2009 03:27 PM
Rootkit Eradicator

NY1986 wrote:
Yogeesh- I have heard that Yahoo email uses Norton as a scanning mechanism?

That's correct.

Sorry "yogeesh" for jumping in here.  :P 

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Regular Contributor
NY1986

so Norton even has yahoo email users covered  :)
Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

No probs, Floating_Red..

Yahoo! Mail's built-in Norton AntiVirus system by Symantec protects you from dangerous computer viruses that may be transmitted by email. All incoming attachments are scanned upon request to uncover any virus threat and to clean up infected attachments. All outgoing email is scanned for extra protection. This will be performed via the Yahoo server and hence it is more secure than other Web based emails. Also, this is set as default by Yahoo and there is no way that you can disable it manually from Yahoomail profile or Web page.

Allen_K

Since this one is solved, let's close it!

Thanks for participating.

Allen