Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
roelof

lightningsand.cfd

Hello,

I have a brand new system INtel i7 with a 120GB revo drive, windows 7, 8Gb ram, so plenty of fun. The problem is that somtimes during startup I get a chkdsk. if chkdsk find an error this is lightningSand.cfd. Is this a Norton file? how can I solve the problem?

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Re: lightningsand.cfd

Hi roelof:

There are several questions and I have found a couple of solutions that may or may not apply to you.

Is this a pre-ordered prebuilt system, or did you put it together?  Do you have any other hard drive other than the Revodrive?  Is the machine overclocked?

From what I can see, Revodrives have a tendency to cause chkdsk at boot.  One individual found that if the clock speed was reduced to default, there was no error.  Another reported that if another hard drive was installed as well as the Revo, there was no error.

In this instance, I think that the cause of the error is related to  the system rather than Norton, and the Norton file, if it is one, (I can't locate it on my Win 7 machine) is the file affected.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
roelof

Hello delphinium.

There is a second hard drive in the system a relative normal 2T drive. The system is put together by a shop on my specification, and I am not aware of overclocking, but can try to find. In an other forum it was stated that Norton creates this file at shutdown, and removes it at startup. At least I like the conformation that it is a Norton file and not an virus or so file.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

LightningSand.cfd is a CryptoForge document.  The error from Windows might just mean that there is nothing on board that can open it. 

http://www.cryptoforge.com/

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
roelof

No,

windows triggers a chkdsk because there is something wrong with the file system, and as the norton file is one of the last files that is writen to the hard disk, it will be detected as a file that has to be repaired. My main question is is this a norton file, and what if it is corrupted does it harm? does it slow down startup? There is somthing in my system that makes this problem, and 4 out of 10 times it generates a CHKDSK at startup, and 2 out of the 4 times it is lightnigsand that reported as a file that repaired.

Erik

Visitor
jimschoice

Did anyone ever find an answer for this issue, other than completely removing Norton from the computer.  It seems that there are quite a few people having this same problem.   Mine started occuring after removing AVG and Zone Alarm and installing the Norton 360.  Now, every 3rd or 4th boot, I get theWindows has to check your disk and it does the C drive, reboots and does the D drive.  It always deletes the directory entries for lightningsand.cfd and sometimes symefa.cfd.

I hope someone has an answer!

Thank you!