Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Reply
Regular Contributor
Calls
Posts: 1,984
Registered: ‎10-07-2009

missing NIS icon in system icon tray

NIS 2012 v 19.90.9
Vista Home Premium SP2

I run on a limited user account.
My PC in cable internet and internet cnnected 24/7
Last night Rebooted my PC. Normally when I log into my account, within 10seconds or so after login, the NIS icon with the green check mark will show in my system tray. Then usually another 5-10 seconds later the little windows icon that shows Windows internet connection (globe with computer? on it) will appear.

Well last night after logging into my limited user account, the NIS icon did not appear in the system tray, after about 15 seconds or so the Windows internet connection icon appeared and showed internet connection.
I was concerned since I did not see the NIS icon, after after trying to show hidden icons in the system tray.
I tried to open the NIS GUI from the dedktop shortcut, but it would not open. Fearing that I did not have NIS active, I went and rebooted my PC.
The same set of circumstances happened again. So I just shut my PC down.
Now I must admit that I did not leave the PC on more than 90 seconds on each of these attempts for fear that NIS was MAYBE not running.
Stupidly, I should have checked task manager to see if NIS was running, but did not. If I hhad I could have seen if NIS was on
So not sure if NIS was on/running or not despite the absence of the NIS icon in the system tray.
I waited a little bit (10 mins) and again started up my PC. this time the NIS icon appeared within 10-15 of logging in.
I was also able to open the NIS GUI from desktop short cut

However, my concern is:
1. why the NIS icon did not appear in system tray ?
2. Why the NIS GUI would not open?
3. Most importantly was my NIS on and running even though there was no icon in the system tray?
peterweb
Posts: 8,041
Kudos: 1,174
Solutions: 303
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: missing NIS icon in system icon tray

Did you just receive the 19.9. update with these reboots?

 

It is possible that some of the update process was running at the startup.


Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Regular Contributor
Calls
Posts: 1,984
Registered: ‎10-07-2009

Re: missing NIS icon in system icon tray

thanks peterweb

but no I had the upday at least a day or two before this, and had rebboted before
Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus
Posts: 1,786
Registered: ‎11-16-2009

Re: missing NIS icon in system icon tray

3. Hard to say, since you didn't check the Task Manager. In the Event Viewer, under the Windows Logs -> System tab, you should have entries at the corresponding times, and you could check for entries like "The NIS service was succesfully started" or "The NIS Service failed to start" or things like that, which would give you an indication.

 

Even if it did not start for some reason, that in itself would not be a security issue since you are behind a router which acts as a firewall, and malware doesn't appear out of nowhere just because you don't have an antivirus running. Of course, it is an issue if your security program doesn't start for some reason, but the point I am trying to make is that you wouldn't have been at risk of getting infected by that fact. :smileyhappy:

peterweb
Posts: 8,041
Kudos: 1,174
Solutions: 303
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: missing NIS icon in system icon tray

There are threads here that note the 2013 versions have an issue with the system tray icon taking up to 2 minutes to appear. The system is protected, it is just the icon and access to the interface that is delayed.


Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
Lakes34
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎05-21-2012

Re: missing NIS icon in system icon tray

Hello Peterweb,

 

I also have three family computers that take 1 minute for the icon to display in the system tray. During the one minute there are two processes running, ccsvchst.exe that are Symantec. I belive that we are protected during this delay of the icon but do you know for sure that we are protected at that time?  

My systems are Windows 7 sp1 64 bit. I run NIS 20.1.1.2                Thanks in advance for your replay.

Super Spam Squasher
Bombastus
Posts: 1,786
Registered: ‎11-16-2009

Re: missing NIS icon in system icon tray


peterweb wrote:

There are threads here that note the 2013 versions have an issue with the system tray icon taking up to 2 minutes to appear. The system is protected, it is just the icon and access to the interface that is delayed.


Calls is using the 2012 version which does not have this issue.

 

peterweb
Posts: 8,041
Kudos: 1,174
Solutions: 303
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: missing NIS icon in system icon tray

[ Edited ]

 

 


Lakes34 wrote:

Hello Peterweb,

 

I also have three family computers that take 1 minute for the icon to display in the system tray. During the one minute there are two processes running, ccsvchst.exe that are Symantec. I belive that we are protected during this delay of the icon but do you know for sure that we are protected at that time?  

My systems are Windows 7 sp1 64 bit. I run NIS 20.1.1.2                Thanks in advance for your replay.



You are protected.  See this post from Pieter

 

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Antivirus-2013-Icon-in-a-syste...


Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
peterweb
Posts: 8,041
Kudos: 1,174
Solutions: 303
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: missing NIS icon in system icon tray


Bombastus wrote:

peterweb wrote:

There are threads here that note the 2013 versions have an issue with the system tray icon taking up to 2 minutes to appear. The system is protected, it is just the icon and access to the interface that is delayed.


Calls is using the 2012 version which does not have this issue.

 


Thanks Bombastus

 

I missed that.  I wonder if there was a change in 19.9 that brought some 2013 issues with it? 

 

No one else seems to have reported this yet.


Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Phishing Phryer
avjohnnie
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎09-16-2009

Re: missing NIS icon in system icon tray


peterweb wrote:

 

 


Lakes34 wrote:

Hello Peterweb,

 

I also have three family computers that take 1 minute for the icon to display in the system tray. During the one minute there are two processes running, ccsvchst.exe that are Symantec. I belive that we are protected during this delay of the icon but do you know for sure that we are protected at that time?  

My systems are Windows 7 sp1 64 bit. I run NIS 20.1.1.2                Thanks in advance for your replay.



You are protected.  See this post from Pieter

 

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Antivirus-2013-Icon-in-a-syste...


However, there is the EICAR issue...

 

Carmik has made postings to that regard - For example...

 

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Antivirus-2013-Icon-in-a-syste...

 

Does seem to dispute Pieter's statement...

 

For those unfamiliar with the EICAR test file...

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR_test_file

 

Kind Regards,

John