Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
kjthornburg
Accepted Solution

nis 2010 troubleshoot shared printer

I have a home network setup connecting a desktop and a laptop.  Both have windows vista home basic sp1 installed.  I have been sharing  a printer connected to the desktop without any problems.

Previously the desktop had norton 360 installed and the laptop had mcafee installed.

Today I installed nis 2010 on both.  Now I cannot print from the laptop.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Re: nis 2010 troubleshoot shared printer

There is a setting in NIS 2010 . Please look under Network Settings and then Smart Firewall.

Click Advanced Settings and then check your status of  "Automatic File/Printer Sharing Control."

click the ? to read more info.

You will see that the status before installation of NIS is important.

Also check out "trust Control". Is the other machine shown and what is its trust level? If necessary try setting it to "Full Trust".

If you turn off Smart Firewall does the printer work?

Contributor
kjthornburg

I turned off the firewall and the printer worked.  Where do I check out trust control?  And on which pc...the desktop  or the laptop?  

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Right mouse click the icon in the task bar (bottom right)

select OPen Norton Internet Security (or left click the icon)

This is the main menu screen

The middle box is Network, select settings

Now scroll down until you reach Smart Firewall

Select "Trust Control"

Contributor
kjthornburg

Thanks.  I was able to locate trust control.  There are 3 devices listed in my network:  the desktop, the laptop and a third one.  I don't know what the third one is.  Is it the printer or is it the gateway?  I changed the trust setting on the laptop and the printer worked.  I restored it to the original trust setting, changed the trust setting on the other device and the printer worked.  Which trust setting should I change?   I appreciate the prompt replies and the helpful advice.

Norton Fighter
mdturner

[ Edited ]

kjthornburg wrote:

I have a home network set up on my desktop and laptop.  They share a printer that is connected to the desktop.  Previously I had norton 360 on the desktop and mcafee on the laptop.  I had no problems printing from the laptop.

Both have Windows vista home basic sp 1.

I installed nis 2010 on both today.  Now I cannot print from the laptop.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kathryn

Hi Kathryn

Could you check what your Network Trust Level is set to?

Open NIS click on Network Security Map under Network

If you now click Edit beside Network Details it will show you what Trust Level the Network is set to. You should click on Edit and set it to Full Trust on both in turn and retry your printer.

Message Edited by mdturner on 07-11-2009 06:26 AM

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

Contributor
kjthornburg

Thanks.  I was able to locate the trust setting and changed it on the laptop.  Now the printer works.
Norton Fighter
mdturner

kjthornburg wrote:

I have a home network setup connecting a desktop and a laptop.  Both have windows vista home basic sp1 installed.  I have been sharing  a printer connected to the desktop without any problems.

Previously the desktop had norton 360 installed and the laptop had mcafee installed.

Today I installed nis 2010 on both.  Now I cannot print from the laptop.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi kjthornburg

That's great. Now you can get on with enjoying NIS2010. Thanks for letting us know this corrected your issue.

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone