Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
catscurlyear

norton toolbar

hi there, i changed my internet explorer briefly ,but i have now lost my 2009 norton internet security toolbar with identity safe and anti phising and wot not , i can`t find where to re download it could any body help please, thanks.
Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Re: norton toolbar

Hi catscurlyear,

I hope you have updated your Internet Explorer version 7.0 to 8 Beta, and that is why you have this problem. Since IE8 is still BETA, you may experience issues with product compatibility. Until IE8 is released, there may continue to be compatibility issues between the current Symantec products and the Beta software. Once the complete version of IE 8 is released, Symantec may release the compatibility patches through LiveUpdate. It may take some time for Symantec to develop & test the add-ons and patchs required after the release of the final IE 8 build.

Here is the LINK to one of the Symantec Support Articles with reference to IE8 and Norton 2008 products. I think, the same is applicable for Norton 2009 products as well.

IE 8 has a new feature called SmartScreen that is Microsoft's version of an Anti-Phishing filter. You can turn this feature on or off (Tools-->Smart Screen Filter... ) but it may interfer with Norton program's Anti-Phishing. Don't worry about the protection, since the sites are still being checked by Microsoft for Phishing, instead of Norton. Otherwise, wait until the release of the final build of IE 8.

Yogesh

Contributor
catscurlyear

i was running the norton toolbar on ie7, i briefly tried ie8 beta, but i`d had unrelated problems prior to this however and had to reload windows spx2 ,i am now using ie7 again ,every thing is fine ,but can`t find the norton toolbar
Rootkit Eradicator

yogesh_mohan wrote:

IE 8 has a new feature called SmartScreen that is Microsoft's version of an Anti-Phishing filter. You can turn this feature on or off (Tools-->Smart Screen Filter... ) but it may interfer with Norton program's Anti-Phishing. Don't worry about the protection, since the sites are still being checked by Microsoft for Phishing, instead of Norton. Otherwise, wait until the release of the final build of IE 8.

Yogesh

You should get a pop-up saying something like Norton Detected that you have have the I.E. Anti-Phishing On; it is Recommended that you use Norton as it is better.  Would you like to use Norton's Anti-Phishing Feature?  [Yes/No].  This may not happen because it is still in Beta.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Rootkit Eradicator

catscurlyear wrote:
 i was running the norton toolbar on ie7, i briefly tried ie8 beta, but i`d had unrelated problems prior to this however and had to reload windows spx2 ,i am now using ie7 again ,every thing is fine ,but can`t find the norton toolbar

If you right-click just below your Address bar, is "Norton Toolbar" there?  If so, is it Ticked or Un-ticked?  If it is Un-ticked, please could you Select and then Click on it and that should Display the Norton Toolbar.  Please let us know.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Start Internet Explorer, click View > Toolbars > check Norton toolbar. Close IE and reopen it again. Also, go to Tools > Internet Options> Advanced, make sure that Enable Third-party Browser Extensions is checked. Post back if you don't see the entry for Norton Toolbar under the list of toolbars. You can also try uninstalling/reinstalling Norton program since you have reloaded Windows SP2.

Contributor
catscurlyear

thanks very much ,i had to reinstall norton to get the toolbar back .all`s well here again, FOR NOW !! thanks again for your help.

Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

Good job. It's all just ie8 beta
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"