Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
gdad77

playtopus virus that opens firefox windows and norton cannot find

i have what is apparently a virus according to;

http://www.cleanpcguide.com/remove-playtopus-removal-guide-how-to-remove-playtopus/

that opens up a 2nd firefox window frequently and seemingly at random inviting me to complete a survey. norton cannot find it or does not recognise it as a virus. i found the above site that claims it is a virus and can remove it but the site it's self is of unknown provenance to me.

i would very much like for my subscribed anti-virus software to remove this threat, i do not wish to rely on 3rd parties.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,794
Solutions: 776

Re: playtopus virus that opens firefox windows and norton cannot find

Hi gdad77,

This is a Potentially Unwanted Application, a legitimate (albeit, possibly annoying) program.  It is not malware.  Removal instructions are posted on the Playtopus web site:

http://playtopus.com/deactivate/

gdad77

tyvm, the program has another nuicance side to it that when i click on a link like for e.g. to open the 'my acc' page of amazon it will not only the page i want but an almost identical page in a new tab with an ad banner at the top and it switches this tab to the top. highly suspicious imo.

i will be glad to be rid of it.

Kayenine

I had no sucess removing Playtopus. I tried the Playtopus site, uninstall from the Control Panel, "Uninistall Playtopus" from the Start-Programs menu. Nothing works. Any thoughts or suggestions.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,794
Solutions: 776

Try uninstalling from the Control Panel in Safe Mode.

cnsolberg

I too have had problems with Playtopus.

I've uninstalled the program from Control Panel/Programs & Features.  I originally unistalled it in regular/user mode & when I went in Safe mode, the program is no longer listed in the Control Panel - yet I continue to get pop-ups.  (Almost all the pop-ups have "Playtopus Advertisement" written on them somewhere.)

Thoughts?