Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
billncpd

printer stopped working

[ Edited ]

I removed an  expiring version of norton 360 and replaced with norton internet security 2011. Now the printer (an hp officejet j4550 connected by usb cable to my acer aspire laptop) will not print properly (as it used to with the old norton 360 installed.) It isn't the printer as that still works fine when I nhook it up to a different laptop. My laptop uses windows 7 and worked fine before but now prints in weird colors when printing black text, and only pale yellow for photos. I tried all the HP help programs and nothing helps

Ant suggestions?

[edit: Please do not post email addresses per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]

Spam Squasher
CyberLife

Re: printer stopped working

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

billl,

Is your WIndows 7 64 bit or 32 bit?

How did you remove the expiring N360?.

Are you using any special HP software?

What is the exact model ID of the printer -- then I can look it up since I'm used to the HP website.

Have you tried unplugging the USB cable from the PC, rebooting the PC and then plugging in the USB cable again -- it should go thoruogh the Found new hardware/printer routine.

If no change then unplug USB cable again, delete the HP Printer icon in the Devices and Printers control:

Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Devices and Printers  [I see a link to that in my Start Program menus]

Plug the cable in again and see if it finds the printer again.

Let me know how that goes please --

Hugh
huwyngr

Cyberlife -- OP said USB connected not network ......

Hugh
Visitor
billncpd

sorry but i don't know if the window 7 is 64 bit or 32

The printer is a hp officejet f4550 all-in-one

I tried to download the printer software from the disc and the computer wouldn't accept it ,I removed 360 by following the "uninstall" option on the computer and by following the wizard instructions from the 2011 internet security.

I did the reboot and got the computer to show the printer icon but it still malfunctions when printing

thanks for helping

Visitor
billncpd

When I follow those steps I get a question (after I click the + sign) about do I want to purge the network settings. I hesitate to click yes. I connect to my printer by usb cable............would these same instructions work for my set-up or is that for a wireless connection?

thanks for helping

Bill

delphinium
Kudos: 2,964
Solutions: 293

billncpd:

I believe those instructions are for wireless printers.  Try Huwynger's suggestion.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
huwyngr

billncpd wrote:

sorry but i don't know if the window 7 is 64 bit or 32

The printer is a hp officejet f4550 all-in-one

I tried to download the printer software from the disc and the computer wouldn't accept it ,I removed 360 by following the "uninstall" option on the computer and by following the wizard instructions from the 2011 internet security.

I did the reboot and got the computer to show the printer icon but it still malfunctions when printing

thanks for helping

bill

If you press the WINKEY (bottome left on keyboard with MS flag onit) and PAUSE keys (usually up top right on your keyboard but not always) at the same time it will bring up System Informattion with details of the Versionof Windows and whetehr 32 bit or 64 bit -- if it doesn't say 64 bit then it is 32 bit)

Did you by any chance upgrade to Windows 7 from VISTA or was this a new PC?

If you did upgrade from VISTA HP has a fix for problems that can arise:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-77751-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

This patch will fix known problems with the following features and functionality:

• HP Print Status
  • Toolbox
  • Ink Levels
  • Solution Center
  • HP Scan (All-in-One)
  • Front panel scan button (All-in-One)
  •  

and it may be wrth trying but with USB connected printers like yours the safe way sort out problems is to unplug the printer, remove the entry for it and then re-connect it -- if the HP software that goes with the printer is undamaged.

If you think something might be wrong with the HP software then remove it all, after unplugging etc as above, by using Remove Programs in Windows -- just type Remove Programs in the START / Search box and that will give you the link to it.

Look in the list of programs for all the references to HP printing and scanning and remove them.

Then reboot the computer and reinstall from your HP 4550 disk which will tell you when to plug the printer cable in -- it will either tell you during the installation or you can do it if you reach a FINISH burtton!

Hope that helps .....

Hugh
    Visitor
    billncpd

For some reason my computer will not uninstall the hp printer program, so I couldn't follow your advice to remove and reinstall the printer. I did check out the specifications of the laptop and it is a 64 bit

huwyngr

Have you checked the HP menu under START / All Programs to see if there are links to their troubleshooting utilities?

You might want to try them if you can find them; if you can't find them or if they don't work I'd suggest going to this page of the HP Support for your printer

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=mp-77751-1&os=40... 

and downloading the several utilities and installing them -- they were all upodated in 2011 so are likely to be more uptodate than came with your printer.

When you tried to uninstall the HP software was the printer plugged in still ? That might make a difference. Did you get any error messages like not having privileges .... ?

Hugh