Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
whooptydude

product key

When I try to enter my product key, some letters and digits do not type. I am unable to get beyond this screen to install.

AllenM
Topics: 225
Kudos: 2,152
Solutions: 379

Re: product key

whooptydude wrote:

When I try to enter my product key, some letters and digits do not type. I am unable to get beyond this screen to install.

Hi whooptydude,

Welcome to the Norton Community. What Norton product are you attempting to activate with the product key? What is the exact version from Help > About or Support > About? What version of Windows do you have and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Do you have any other security software installed besides Norton?

I'm certain that Norton would not prevent the typing of certain letters. Are you able to type in the full product key using something like Notepad?

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12
whooptydude

Norton Antivirus 2011. I can type it perfectly in Notepad. I tried copying and pasting from Notepad into the product key space, and it dropped the letters I was unable to type in the beginning. I don't have any other security installed. I uninstalled McAfee.

AllenM
Topics: 225
Kudos: 2,152
Solutions: 379

Hi whooptydude,

Did you have a prior version of Norton Antivirus (NAV)? It sounds like you were using McAfee originally and not NAV, correct? Or did you have both prior to installing NAV 2011?

It is good that you uninstalled McAfee. Was this before or after you installed NAV 2011? I also recommend that you run the McAfee removal tool which you can find below:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

You should run this and reboot your computer. After installing NAV 2011 did you run Live update (rebooting as requested) until it reported no more updates? If you haven't already you should do this and then reboot one last time and see if the problem is still present.

If after all the above this still does not work I would recommend that you uninstall and reinstall NAV. It is possible that it may not have installed correctly due to remnants of McAfee still being on the computer.

You can download the full version of NAV 2011 (English) from the link below. If you need a different language please let me know. I would download this first and then disconnect from the Internet and uninstall NAV. Reboot your computer and then reinstall. Once it is installed connect back to the Internet and run live update until there are no more updates.

See if you are able to input your product key then.

http://www.norton.com/nav11

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12
whooptydude

I just had McAfee prior. The problem is that I cannot install NAV because it asks for a product key. When I attempt to enter the product key, certain letters and digits do not type. I am able to type the product key into Notepad. I had the idea to copy and paste the key into the blank. When I did, the same letters and digits disappeared. That's as far as I can get.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,964
Solutions: 293

Is the key the correct one for your product?  Check the purchase information against the intended Norton Antivirus.  I am not familiar with a letter and number combination but I have never activated NAV. 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,794
Solutions: 776

Hi whooptydude,

I have no idea if this will be a solution, but it's worth investigating:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090123062953EN&ln=en_US