Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Spyware Scolder
iancol
Accepted Solution

"New" threat - Heartbleed

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I've seen this article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/heartbleed-bug-has-revealed-major-...

and checked this site for references to "heartbleed bug"  with no success.  Any information, anybody?

Also, I've started getting an annoying bug that duplicates what seem like random words and turns them into links, like the illustration here.  Any idea how I can have picked it up and how I can kill it off?  I run the same software on this laptop as on my PC and that machine doesn't have the problem.  I'm also getting pop up ads on this site, even running Adblock Plus.

Thanks,

Ian

Bug.jpg

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Re: "New" threat - Heartbleed

Is your system using OpenSSL???  I highly doubt it so in terms of your system there is no problems, with users it is about changing passwords at the systems and servers that do use OpenSSL  (HTTPS)

Like Email passwords, online shopping accounts etc.   with your ISP, Gmail, Yahoomail, Amazon .....................................

The symtom you describe sounds like PUPS.

Quads

Super Phishing Phryer
Apostolos

" Also, I've started getting an annoying bug that duplicates what seem like random words and turns them into links, like the illustration here.  Any idea how I can have picked it up and how I can kill it off?  "

Hi,

Where do you see this? Browser, Windows folders etc...

From the screenshot you have posted I cannot understand much.

Regards,

F4E
Kudos: 838
Solutions: 187

Hi, iancol. There are a few posts about Heartbleed in the Tech Outpost forum, which have some info on this.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
Regular Contributor
Calls

Quads
You mention about changing passwords for email amazon and ISP
For ISP do you mean the login to ones ISP website?
Not the PC connection to the ISP server?
Bot Obliterator
Quads

don't think you will understand 

A lot of ISP's have mail servers that when you have your ISP account password the main email account also uses the the same username and password.

A family could have more than one email account with with the ISP, for mum dad, kids etc that has a different email address and password.  But the master account has the same password as the one your PC users to log into the internet.

Example only the info is not factual but just to show what is meant

ISP account for systems logging into network

username :          Quadsie

password :          4pistons

Email address   Quadsie@slingsot.co.nz  (master account)  same password as above  (dual purpose)

cats email account

address  puss@slingshot.co.nz

Password: meowmeow 

The cats account does not have any ISP account rights and is email only it is not like the master ISP account for systems connecting or that email. 

Could be that same with the likes of Verzion, AOL Telsta, BT and so on

That is different than accounts wirth say Gmail, yahoo, Internet Banking,  where it is not also the ISP account logon so does not involve your systems logging into the ISP network.

So if your email is with your ISP the passord could more than likley be dual purpose meaning that when you change the password for the master email you are also changing the password for the ISP network logon.

Quads 

Super Spyware Scolder
iancol

Hi all.  Thanks for your replies.  I'm not in a position to respond at the moment.  Will get back later today.

Ian

Regular Contributor
Calls

Thanks quads
So the need to change password involving the ISP is more so driven by the fact that the ISP provides email services? And that is the pass word that is needing to be changed?
Super Spyware Scolder
iancol

[ Edited ]

Back again.  I've had a look at Tech Outpost and note that the posts are dated 2009, so why is this an issue now, I wonder?

As for examples of the irritating ads, here are four.  The first appeared as soon as I went on line.  Certain key words are picked out and the ads seem to be tailored to the word.  Feven Pro seems to be a clue.

The second is what apppeared when I opened Norton Support.  Note the relevance of the ad.

Third shows what I saw when I logged on to this forum.  In this case, no relevance to the page.  Clicking "Do not show again" doesn't work, naturally.

Photo 4 shows the selected word highlighted and duplicated, with relevant ad.

This stuff only appears on the laptop and only since I changed the hard drive using a Sandisk cloning pack.  Have I not been vigilant enough when using this software?

Thanks,

IanWeb page 1.jpg

Norton Support page 2.jpg

Norton Community Page 3.jpg

Norton Community Page 4.jpg

Super Phishing Phryer
Apostolos

Hi,

Looks like you have adware installed, jolly wallet etc.

Try to run a full system scan with MBAM Free version.

See if it can pick & remove anything.

If not, maybe you should visit one malware removal forum, where an expert should be able to remove all the possible adware installed on your system.

Regards,