Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
simpan

"Whitelist" a file?

Hello!

I have a ElfBot NG on my computer, and Norton thinks that Elfbot's program file, loader.exe is infected with a trojan. Or is a trojan.

The program helps you to play Tibia, a game. I think, that Norton thinks that loader.exe is a virus because it modifyes tibia.exe. Could that be true?

And if so, how can I "whitelist" loader.exe so Norton stops detecting it as a trojan?

I have NIS 2009

/Simon

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Re: "Whitelist" a file?

[ Edited ]

Hi Simon,

Welcome to Norton Community!

In rare cases where a legitimate file has been misidentified and subsequently quarantined, your computer may behave abnormally or you may find that one or more applications no longer function as expected. In such rare situations, you should open the Quarantine in your antivirus product. From here, you may review the list of all files detected as dangerous/threats and, if you identify a potential misidentification, restore the file from quarantine and allow it to run normally. If you are sure about the authenticity of the file, and confident that it is a false positive, then submit that file(loader.exe) to Symantec:

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/index.html

If it is found clean during the analysis by Symantec Security response and can be trusted as authenticated one, then Symantec will update the definitions for the detection to exclude those files and then release a patch with updated definition(white list). So, after that LiveUpdate patch, Norton program won't detect it as dangerous/threat.

Yogesh

Message Edited by yogesh_mohan on 11-14-2009 05:28 PM
Visitor
simpan

Thanks for the fast reply! I've tried restoring the file from the quarantine section, but Norton keeps detecting it as a trojan (!)

I'm using windows 7.

Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,438
Solutions: 528

Were you able to submit the file to Symantec as Yogesh suggested?
Visitor
simpan

Yes, now we wait and see :-P
Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

[ Edited ]
After restoring the file from Quarantine, disable Auto-Protect for temporary purpose and then add that file(loader.exe) to the file exclusion list. Then re-enable Auto-Protect. This will prevent Norton from detecting the file again.
Message Edited by yogesh_mohan on 11-14-2009 10:13 PM
Visitor
simpan

Okay, and where can I find this exclusion list?
Visitor
simpan

Found it, thanks for the help guys!