Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
NY1986

scanning compressed files

Can NAV2008 be set to scan compressed files that come in to your computer?
huwyngr
Topics: 1,033
Kudos: 2,815
Solutions: 375

Re: scanning compressed files

I don't know about NAV or the 2008's any more but in NIS 2009 it is under Computer / Settings and at the top of the listing.

Note that for 2009 anyway you may run into long delays in scanning if you have scan compressed files as the default. This is because it can take it a long long time if the archive has many layers of compression -- files within files within files.

Symantec have explained that you are still protected with it set not to scan inside compressed files because it will scan the moment you go in to extract one.

FWIW bearing in mind that I don't know about NAV 2008 specifically.

Hugh
Contributor
GrandPrixSC

Yet NY another good reason to upgrade to NAV/NIS 2009. WHy do you refuse to upgrade for free?
Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Hi NY1986,

Norton AntiVirus scanner can scan upto 10 levels of compressions. Also, it can scan some archive file types such as .cab, .arj etc but cannot modify them i.e. it will detect the virus infections in those archive files but cannot repair or quarantine them as these types of files does not allow the modifications. This won't happen when you download the compressed file from the Intenet. When you extract the files from the compressed format after downloading it, Norton program will scan it and report if it finds any threat. If you are not extracting it that time, then Norton program decompress and scan that file when you run a full system scan or when the idle time scan runs.

Yogesh

Symantec Employee
reese_anschultz

NY1986, the answer depends upon your context. Others have already talked about 'on-demand' scanning and how to configure it. Real-time scanning does not decompose container files and scan the nested files, but if you try to extract them, they'll be detected at that time.
Reese Anschultz
Senior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation

Contributor
GrandPrixSC

Simply download the Eicar zip test file.
Regular Contributor
NY1986

correct me if I'm wrong, I can't upgrade for FREE to NIS2009 when I currently only have a valid subscription for NAV2008
Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Yes!

You cannot free upgrade from NAV 2008 to NIS 2009, you can only get free upgrade to NAV 2009. 

Contributor
GrandPrixSC

Thats why I said NAV/NIS 2009.
Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

As you can see it is scanning rather deep into compressed files. It would be great though if it somehow could scan password protected files too
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"