Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
miche109

search certified toolbar

Hi all

everytime i open google in chrome i am directed to  'search certified toolbar' even though i have google.com as default

can anyone advise if this is a virus

thanks and regards

dickevans

Re: search certified toolbar

miche109 wrote:

Hi all

everytime i open google in chrome i am directed to  'search certified toolbar' even though i have google.com as default

can anyone advise if this is a virus

thanks and regards

Welcome,

Doesn't sound like one. You might try running Malwarebytes free scanner

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

or the one from SuperAntiSpyware

http://superantispyware.com/

and see if that doesn't clear out the problem.

Keep us posted

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Contributor
j1j2a3j4

I am also having this issue in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I was able to remove the toolbars through the usual settings, but my homepage still reverts to http://search.certified-toolbar.com/?si=41460&st=shortcut&tid=3192 even after changing the homepage. My chosen homepage will work during that session, but if I close and reopen my browser it reverts to the Certified Toolbar  search.

Internet searches seem to indicate that this is a malware/hijacking/trojan type issue with complicated removal steps, and in many forums peopel are saying that it is not working.

I have performed a full system scan using Norton Internet Security (latest version, and with live updates updated) which fixed 32 tracking cookies but found nothing else. Why isn't Norton picking this up, and is it infact a virus or something to be concerned about. (Anything that takes over my computer I guess is something to be concerned about, but some forums suggest that it might be used for identity theft).

I have basic computer literacy, so if anyone has any answers please simplify your answers!

Would really appreciate a response from Symantec as there seems to be nothing on their website about this issue.

Thanks to anyone who has some suggestions.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

j1j2a3j4 wrote:

I am also having this issue in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I was able to remove the toolbars through the usual settings, but my homepage still reverts to http://search.certified-toolbar.com/?si=41460&st=shortcut&tid=3192 even after changing the homepage. My chosen homepage will work during that session, but if I close and reopen my browser it reverts to the Certified Toolbar  search.

Internet searches seem to indicate that this is a malware/hijacking/trojan type issue with complicated removal steps, and in many forums peopel are saying that it is not working.

I have performed a full system scan using Norton Internet Security (latest version, and with live updates updated) which fixed 32 tracking cookies but found nothing else. Why isn't Norton picking this up, and is it infact a virus or something to be concerned about. (Anything that takes over my computer I guess is something to be concerned about, but some forums suggest that it might be used for identity theft).

I have basic computer literacy, so if anyone has any answers please simplify your answers!

Would really appreciate a response from Symantec as there seems to be nothing on their website about this issue.

Thanks to anyone who has some suggestions.

Browser redirects and home page hijacks are not a virus. They are annoying but will not harm your system.

Try the two scanners  that Dick mentions in the post above yours.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
j1j2a3j4

Thanks for the reply. Have done all those things but it is still happening. Other forums suggest that it is "search.certified-toolbar.com installs itself in a computer without user's knowledge or permission. search.certified-toolbar.com contains rootkit and Trojans which can automatically record your online behaviors in order to steal personal information and confidential data such as bank account information, credit card information, social security number. These confidential information then be transferred to remote server. Your personal information will be in high risk of exposure to public. "

Many sites are advising to download anti malware - but I still would have thought all of this would be covered by my Norton Internet Security.

Any suggestions?! Thanks.

peterweb

No security software can catch 100% of all malware. That is why we often suggest a second scan with the free version of Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware.

Remember that there are tens of thousands of new malware variants released every day. You may run into one of these before the security companies have detected and updated the malware definitions. Then everyone is playing catch up.

Grantman

hi i too have this program running and cannot find it anywhere.

I tried Malware Bytes and it did not find anything.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Contributor
j1j2a3j4

I have managed to fix the issue on firefox by following instructions on other forums where people have had this same issue. What fixed it for me eventually was uninstalling then reinstalling firefox. However, I still cannot fix IE. I have removed the toolbar, but the home page always opens on certified toolbar. Have tried using several free downloads of anti spyware/malware (eg SUPERanti spyware and  Malware bytes anti spyware. First scan of Malware bytes found and removed infected files, but am still having the issue with IE, although subsequent scans have found nothing.

I've tried resetting the home page in IE internet options settings, but always reverts to certified toolbar on re-opening.

I know that new malware comes up all the time, but this is not new according to posts on other forums back in 2012. Would have thought that Norton would have come up with a solution by now seeing we pay them a lot for supposedly the best protection around.

I also had Chrome infected by this, but have just deleted it and all of its files with Revo uninstaller.

Anyone who finds a fix to the IE please post how you did it.

Still would love to hear from Symantec about this and what they're doing about it and how we can remove whatever it is from our computers....

Thanks..

Contributor
j1j2a3j4

Managed to finally fix the IE issue after watching a YouTube instruction on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QXSDcIFhmc (How to uninstall (remove) Certified Toolbar (search, homepage)

and this was the last little bit that fixed it for me, as after the YouTube instructions I was still having the problem....

"Browser Shortcuts

Certified Toolbar may alter browser shortcuts on Windows operating systems.

1. Right click on a browser shortcut and select Properties

2. On the short cut tab, notice that in the Target field the certified toolbar site has been added after the double quotes. Delete this part and hit OK. If your short cut is pinned to the task bar you have  to unpin it first, then correct the shortcut in the start menu, and re-pin it to the task bar".

I found this info in www.botcrawl.com, and it was exactly my issue. Outlook also had this problem in its Target menu.

I also updated all Microsoft updates, as well as Adobe and Java (as some forums suggested that versions not updated might render your computer vulnerable).

Hope this helps someone, as it took me two days to fix!! So far no more problems with this!

peterweb

j1j2a3j4

Thanks for passing this information to the forum. Hope this also helps the others posting here.