Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
BKVic

searchqu.com/406 removal

I seem to have a virus or something that changes the home page of my browsers to searchqu.com/406 no matter how many times I change them back to my preferences. I have NIS 2011 and have run couple  full scans but it doesn't seem to remove this virus-program. Has anyone else had problems with this virus-program and if so how did you get it removed?? I did make sure my NIS 2011 had the newest virus definitions before running the full searches.

Thanks to anyone that can be of help to me on this subject

BKVic

dickevans

Re: searchqu.com/406 removal

BKVic

Welcome

Sounds like you need a little extra help

Download the free copy of Malware Bytes utility and run it. Be sure to use the free version, there is a conflict when you try to run more than one real-time security program.

Norton is good but not perfect so using more than one security program may be necessary to keep your system absolutely clean.

Hope this thelp - be sreu to let us know

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello BKVic

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

I would also recommend a full scan with the free SUPERAntiSpyware program which is safe to use with your Norton Product.

Here is a free on demand antimalware scanner. It is safe to use on demand with your Norton product.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Here is another site you can use to get the program.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

The download button is on the right hand side. Please be careful not to download Spyware Doctor which is on the left side. Also, please don't forget to update the program each time before use of it. In fact you can update it every day just in case some malware may prevent you from updating it.

Please come back and let us know how you made out. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

BKVic

I forgot to add that I did try the Super Anti-Spyware and while it picked up on a lot of things that NIS missed it  didnt get rid of the Searchqu.com/406 problem. Thanks for the suggestion though!

BKVic

BKVic

Thanks for the input, Im down loading the Malware Bytes and will post tomarrow on how the battle goes on!!! You know Ive used Norton as my computer protection for years and this is the first time Ive gotten something that it hasnt been able to find and get rid of that I know of. Pretty good track record as fare as Im concerned and I will continue to use them in the future. Ive never had any problems with them running on any of my PCs, just basicly install and forget, they do the rest! :)

BKVic

Bot Obliterator
Quads

There should be a couple of randomly named files, and a randomly named profile within Firefox's path with a search plugin that controls the homepage and possibly redirect.

c:\documents and settings\[username]\[RANDOM].exe

c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\SearchquWebSearch.xml
c:\documents and settings\[username]\[RANDOM].tmp  (possibly)
c:\documents and settings\[username]\Application data\\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[RANDOM].default\searchplugins\SearchquWebSearch.xml

After that you will still have to reset in your browser(s) the homepage etc.

Quads

chuose

Remove directories C:\Program Files\Windows iLivid Toolbar\Datamngr\ToolBar

gibby

i have this same proublem, I tryed to remove it mailwearbyts seemed to of done it, but its still on the computer !!! I removed toolbar and every thing and its still on here. Is Norton working on something to fix this?

MagnusLindh
Topics: 9
Kudos: 23
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 5

Hey..

Sorry to hear about your problem, have you tried to use Norton Power Eraser? its a good tool ro remove threat with.

http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx?lcid=1033

try this and see if it helps you with your problem.

let us now how it went, if it fixed the problem ot not.

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello

Have you people tried to follow what Quads mentioned in his post? Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.