Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Spyware Scolder
harry10

silent mode?

i have logged off my windows account and when i came back to log in again,the norton icon on the task bar looks like a pineapple(looks like its silent mode icon)how do i get it back to just the yellow circle with a green tick?

Keylogger Crusher
cinek

Re: silent mode?

it should go back to normal mode automatically... if it does not open the NIS UI, go to tasks and turn silent mode off from there

----------------------------------
NIS 20.2.1.22
Windows 7 64bit
Super Spyware Scolder
harry10

[ Edited ]

silent mode is turned off and also not getting any pulse updates i have to run live update manualy

AllenM
Topics: 226
Kudos: 2,153
Solutions: 379

[ Edited ]

harry10 wrote:

silent mode is turned off and also not getting any pulse updates i have to run live update manualy

Hi Harry10,

I've looked over some of your recent posts and it appears that you have had a few problems recently. A couple of examples:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/norton-safe-search/m-p/267455#M121704

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/norton-back-up/m-p/268767#M121987

These were both in the same time frame and you had mentioned using the Norton removal tool to clear up the problem. Were both of these problems resolved with the use of the removal tool? Also did you run Live Update to get all the latest updates for NIS after this? What version do you now have from Help & Support > About?

I am left a little concerned since you are having another problem so soon.

Have you noticed any other problems with your computer? Strange pop-ups or anything else out of the ordinary?

You mentioned you are not getting pulse updates. I know this may sound obvious but can you confirm that Pulse Updates and Live Updates are enabled in Computer Settings?

When you don't run Live Update manually, what times do you typically see shown on the main NIS screen for the last definition update? This will be shown just to the right of the Run Live Update button.

Are you still seeing the Silent mode icon? Also was this problem present ever since running the removal tool or did it start happening sometime later?

Thanks very much.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.3.0.12
Super Spyware Scolder
harry10

[ Edited ]

no problems with the pc.I just logged off my account for 30 mins came back to log on and norton icon had changed to silent mode icon.Doing a reboot cured the icon problem but i will leave the pc logged off again to see if it happens again.Pulse updates are working again.I tried a run a dvd on the pc and norton went into silent mode when i ejected the dvd the icon went back to normal.

AllenM

harry10 wrote:

no problems with the pc.I just logged off my account for 30 mins came back to log on and norton icon had changed to silent mode icon.Pulse updates are working again.I tried a run a dvd on the pc and norton wenr into silent mode when i ejected the dvd the icon went back to normal.

HI Harry10,

Was this DVD a movie perhaps? Or another full screen application? Is everyting back to normal at this point then?

Please also be sure your NIS is at version 17.7.0.12 from Help & Support > About?

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.4.0.13 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Super Spyware Scolder
harry10

yes it was a dvd movie i wanted to check if silent mode was working for full screen.I dont understand why it switched to silent mode when i logged off and left pc for 30  mins does this act has full screen definition?

AllenM

[ Edited ]

harry10 wrote:

yes it was a dvd movie i wanted to check if silent mode was working for full screen.I dont understand why it switched to silent mode when i logged off and left pc for 30  mins does this act has full screen definition?

Hi Harry10,

I thought perhaps the DVD movie was the initial trigger, my apologies I misread.

You can click NIS History from the main NIS screen. Then in the search box in the upper right enter the search string full-screen and hit Return.

Please check History surrounding the time frame in which you saw this. If NIS entered Silent mode as a result of a full screen application being run, it should show up in here.

Please select Silent Mode from the drop down list when the History window comes up. If you don't see anything, then try selecting Full History and using the same search string.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Super Spyware Scolder
harry10

there are no entries in either options about silent mode.

AllenM

harry10 wrote:

there are no entries in either options about silent mode.

Hi Harry10,

Thanks for the update. You mentioned that you had last inserted a DVD movie and NIS went into Silent mode. Are you indicating that this is not showing up in History either?

Is Silent Mode history completely empty even without entering a search string?

If this is true, then somehow these history events are not getting logged, possibly due to some internal problem with the history logs.

So if this is the case you can try selecting Full History from the drop down list and then click on Clear History in the bottom right. This will clear ALL history logs. After doing this try the full screen DVD movie (or some other full screen application) again and see if it shows up in Silent Mode History.

Best wishes.

Allen