Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
RawnaqueAraSharmin

sonar protection

my sonar protection is not working.how can i fix it?
Posted from Facebook
PapauZ
Topics: 392
Kudos: 1,025
Solutions: 374

Re: sonar protection

Hi,

can you please tell us the exact version of your Norton product?
1. Open the main window
2. Click on Help & Support -> About menu
3. On the About window find the version number (it will look like this: 19.6.2.10)

Also please let us know if the Norton product had written out any error number for you (eg this one: 3052,2).

Thanks!

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.3.0.12

Symantec Employee
bvaravindhraj

Hi,

Please let us know the Norton product to you use. Is it Norton 360, Norton Internet Security or Norton Antivirus? and the version of the Norton.

1. Open Norton.

2. Click on Support ( In right top corner ).

3. Click on About.

It will show the version of Norton. Please let is know that. Thank you.

rena_chu

This happened to me too...

My Norton version is 19.7.0.9 

Please help me...

Symantec Employee
muralisripada

Hi, 

If SONAR protection is turned off and not working and cliking on fix now is not fixing it, then try these steps..

If the product is Norton 360 then uninstall the program and try to install a Norton antivirus

Again uninstall the norton antivirus and install Norton 360 and run liveupdate and let me know the results.

If it happens with the Norton internet security 2012 then repeat the same as above.

If it happens with norton antivirus 2012, Install the norton internet security 2012 and uninstall and then reinstall the norton antivirus.

Download link for norton antivirus 2012 - Norton antivirus 2012

Download link for NortonInternet Security 2012 - Norton Internet security 2012

Download link for Norton 360 - Norton 360 Standard Edition

Please let me the results after trying this.

Thanks, 

Murali

Regular Contributor
Niko233

And that is the fix method? :))

1) uneffective - to unstall other unwanted products.

2) it takes too much time

why it can be fixed at least by the next actions?

1) by automatically detected issue that can be fixed automatically. You are takes telemetry data from users - why not to use it to resolve issues? Include additional telemetry sections/monitoring events... not only to send to server but to solve problems in host based level!

or

2) by simple reinstall the program. provide the tool that fully clean old Norton data stored in computer, so new install will be pure clean and works as expected by developers. something like Norton Removal Tool. Why that tool is not solve that issue???? So what for that tool if it not working in all planned ways to use it?? Improve it also!

So fun issues and more funny ways to fix you provided... Can developers write normal code? Not very easy, but not so hard as to start to fly... Stop children to write AV engines code!

Symantec Employee
muralisripada

Hi, 

Sonar protection is turned off in situations like the virus definitions are corrupted because when the SONAR is performing a scan, It first try to use the virus definitions on the compuer. So when the Virus definitions are corrupted it could not run the scan properly. 

By reinstalling the different product altogether will clear the old virus def's .This steps will be easier one to clear this problem.

Thanks, 

Murali

Regular Contributor
Niko233

[ Edited ]

Thanks for explanation of that problem.

Now I see 2 global lacks in product, they are:

1) why SONAR initialize virus definitions (hash-summ signatures?) scan? why it is not centralized/performed by main product module - first the product must scan with virus definitions hash signatures, than it must execute heuristic engine and only after that SONAR must be executed. Symantec Employee described that SONAR executes itself first and stops it own native actions and than SONAR initialize virus definitions hash-summ scan. Hm...

2) uninstallation of product is not uninstall old virus def's. So they are remained after uninstall procedure. Hm...

Is Norton Removal Tool also leave untouched virus defitions?

Strange manner to write programs...