Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
mungo22

temporarily Completely turn off norton internet security 2010

I have two questions i would really appreciate some help with: 

1. How do i completely disable norton temporarily. In the tray i am able to right click and disable firewall and auto protect but a lengthy backup failed becasue norton decided to do a full system scanning while it was running. I want to know how to temporaily but COMPLETELY disable internet security 2010 all features.
2. my backup software manual suggests i "disable 3rd party anti-virus and backup software from scanning the following folder and subfolder:

•<..\Program Files\GFI\GFI Backup 2009 - Home Edition> ".

Please explain how i direct norton to do this.

Norton Fighter
mdturner

Re: temporarily Completely turn off norton internet security 2010

[ Edited ]
Welcome to the Norton Community

Thank you for contacting us regarding the issue you are having with your Norton Product.

mungo22 wrote:

I have two questions i would really appreciate some help with: 

1. How do i completely disable norton temporarily. In the tray i am able to right click and disable firewall and auto protect but a lengthy backup failed becasue norton decided to do a full system scanning while it was running. I want to know how to temporaily but COMPLETELY disable internet security 2010 all features.
2. my backup software manual suggests i "disable 3rd party anti-virus and backup software from scanning the following folder and subfolder:

•<..\Program Files\GFI\GFI Backup 2009 - Home Edition> ".

Please explain how i direct norton to do this.

Hi mungo22

If you open NIS2010 you will see, at the top right of the page, the various features that you can turn off. As you turn them off they will give you options as to what you want to do e.g. Turn off until reboot etc.

To permanently exclude your folder from scans open NIS and click settings. In computer settings >scan exclusions click on configure and you can add whatever you do not wish scanned..

Message Edited by mdturner on 07-11-2009 01:12 AM

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

mungo22

Thankyou for your reply however when i turned of all the different elements of norton on the right of the program screen and disabled "allow background tasks to run in idle time too" norton appeared in the system try with a cross through it but messages still popped up that it was running
Norton Fighter
mdturner

mungo22 wrote:
Thankyou for your reply however when i turned of all the different elements of norton on the right of the program screen and disabled "allow background tasks to run in idle time too" norton appeared in the system try with a cross through it but messages still popped up that it was running

Hi mungo22

Does it specify what elements are still running?

The main one you wish to turn off is AV scanning in order that your backup can complete. Did you retry your backup after turning off scanning and Sonar protection?

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hi Mungo

Can you turn on the silent mode which I believe will stop activity for up to 6 hours? I don't know if that will help to solve the problem or not, but someone else can comment on that. I think though once a idle full system scan has started, it will try to complete that task since it is for the security of your computer. Is it possible for you to run that backup program after the idle full scan has been completed? I wouldn't want to run a backup program until after the full system scan has completed because if your scan does find something, then you would be backing up the bad stuff too.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

mungo22

thanks everyone for thsoe suggestions i will give them a go.

Apart from a norton pop-up window in the system tray (that disappeared before i could read it but i'm pretty sure it just said "norton is running a background task"), once everything is turned off norton still shows that it ran live update eg: 2 minutes ago

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hi mungo

Certain things have to be run in order to keep you secure. It's important for you to get the automatic live updates to keep your computer clean. The quick idle scans will run also even if the idle scans are turned off. I don't think you can turn everything completely off in the program without uninstalling it.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.