Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
ghosty

troj_nv.idx and troj_v.idx

Hi, there.  I'm new and not too techy, so please be gentle with me.  I noticed those 2 files ( troj_nv.idx and troj_v.idx) and just wondered what they are.. would be really grateful if someone could explain them to me..

Administrator
KatieQ

Re: troj_nv.idx and troj_v.idx

Hi ghosty,

The forum is for the product of Norton Online Family.  I've asked the forum moderator to move the post to an appropriate forum for better exposure.

What Norton product(s) do you use and you see the two files?

Thanks,

Katie

Regular Contributor
ghosty

Ah, yeah, hiya.  I have just Norton Internet Security 2012, and the 2 files are located in a sub folder of VirusDefs.  Was just curious cos I tend to wander about looking at different files.. and trying to find out what they are, and BINGO I came across these and immediately thought 'oh no.. I've got trojans arrrrgh!' Thought I should do the sensible thing and ask the Norton peeps before going into meltdown..although I have scanned them to within an inch of their life! But would really like some info from peeps who know what they're talking about..google couldn't help me.. shock horror!

Contributor
Versus

[ Edited ]

.idx files are Subtitle files, for movies and such, so it's no problem if they are in a Subs folder, since "subs" is short for "subtitles".

:catwink:

Regular Contributor
ghosty

I see.. thank you for your help.. tis weird though.. just checked security history and explorer.exe tried to open one of the files and it was blocked.. medium risk. 

Contributor
Versus

Huh, well sometimes a virus’ creator will give a falsely names extension to a file, but if one were to go to the trouble of hiding it thusly, it would be quite silly to label it as a Trojan, likely it is a subtitle for a Trojan notification, but to be safe you could right-click the item and run a scan on it.

what does the security history thing say it was in the details?

Regular Contributor
ghosty

It just says: Actor - c:\windows\explorer.exe -- Target - c:\programdata\norton\{0c55c096-0fid-4f28-aaa2-85ef591126e7}\nis_19.7.1.5\definitions\virusdefs\20120731.018\troj_nv.idx -- Action - open file -- reaction - unauthorised action blocked -- terminal session - 1  Well that was fun typing that.

Contributor
Versus

[ Edited ]

Oh, well that particular case means that explorer.exe (which is your user shell, meaning it shows you the interface and handles the things you do), tried to access the troj_nv.idx file, likely because you were viewing it, and norton blocked it because it doesn't like any programs interfering with its files; so it can make sure your security is never compromised.

I hope that helps to answer your questions.

Regular Contributor
ghosty

Thank you, Versus.  I do appreciate you helping me :smileyhappy: Now I must go and throw some pennies at some noisy seagulls.  Thanks again.