Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
mcconkeyb

unlocking the hosts file

It appears that Nortons is locking the hosts file, making it impossible to edit or change this file. It there a way to tell Nortons to unlock this file and leave it alone?
Tim_Lopez
Topics: 353
Kudos: 1,512
Solutions: 890

Re: unlocking the hosts file

Hi mcconkeyb,

I was just able to edit my hosts file with Norton Internet Security 2010. Which Norton product and version are you using? Which operating system?

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Bot Obliterator
Quads

Hi

Also Make sure you have the hosts file properties not selected as "read-only" 

Quads 

mcconkeyb

The details are:

Nortons Internet Security 2007 running under Win XP Pro with all the latest patches. I have poked around in Nortons UI but have not been able to find a way to tell it to unlock the file and leave it alone. I am just guessing that Nortons must have done something to the file security descriptors, as I have never seen a file locked like this before.

It is locked with more than the simple read only attribute, which I have changed already.

Cheers,

Brian

Tim_Lopez
Topics: 353
Kudos: 1,512
Solutions: 890

Hi mcconkeyb,

Since you're able to upgrade to 2010 for free, I would uninstall 2007, see if you can change your hosts file, and then install 2010 (from http://www.norton.com/nis10 ). This will help you narrow down what is blocking you from being able to edit the file.

Do you have any other security software installed?

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hi mcconkeyb

You could run the free version of malwarbytes to check and see if malware is blocking you from unlocking your host file. Download malwarebytes, install, update and run a full scan. You can post back your log by clicking on add attachments right under the host button. If you do have malware on your computer, the new version of Norton's may not install correctly.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,845
Solutions: 779

Hi mcconkeyb,

Spybot Search and Destroy has a setting for locking the hosts file.  Do you have that program installed on your PC?  If so go into Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks to change the setting.

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hi

After Googling around, I think you are infected with something which has locked the host file. Have you run a full system scan? I know your present Norton's is old, but I'm wondering if 2010 will install if there is malware on the computer?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Super Spyware Scolder
JRosenfeld

What happens if you try in safe mode?