Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
shannons
Topics: 50
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 8

Re: virus or an ad?

[ Edited ]

Hi Jarry, I did not remove your screenshot....actually, at the time you checked your image had not yet been approved. However, you will notice that the image is now visible. I did edit your post, due to language, simply to keep the forums free from vulgarity which some users may find offensive. Sorry for the confusion!!!!

Message Edited by shannons on 09-05-2009 08:14 PM
Contributor
TC2009

First thanks all for your help. Sorry that you put yourselves in danger

I posted the link because Norton safeweb said it was safe, sorry

So let me be clear in my understanding of this.

The pop up saying I need to scan is not a virus? But it is like adware?

Since it only happens at that one site, am I infected? Or is it associated with that site? Nobody else in my home goes to that site ( it is a very legit site), and nobody gets that pop up. Nor do I anywhere else except on that particular site. And not all the time.

Could it be one of the advertisers on that site or those ad peopel like adtmt.com or doubleclick.net or one of those?

Shoudl I tell the website that It happens on, that they may be infected?

sorry for the questions. But one last one

If I use the task manager to close out it says "program not responding" which I then click end now.

So by doing this am I in any danger?

Phil_D
Topics: 207
Kudos: 2,555
Solutions: 391

What you encountered was a Misleading File / Program Download attempt. The ad was baiting you to download the program.

Throughout this, I have failed to ask which Norton product you are using. Could you let us know?

It could be that the website has been compromised, or it could have come from a third party ad on the site. Many legitimate sites have been the targets of malware writers.  It would be nice of you to inform the web site owner of the issue you encountered.

You can read more here and here.

If Task Manager reports that the program is not responding, you can use the "End Now" button.

I prefer to use Process Explorer for events like this as I feel it reacts quicker than task manger.

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Visitor
TechGeek7

I ended up with this problem today as well. While on a popular site it suddenly closed and andoscan pop up window came up telling me I need to scan blah blah. I keep everything up to date so it freaked me out. I have now run scans 3 times and come up with nothing. I don't see a program lurking any where but have to admit I'm concerned that I just can't see it. Could I be missing it despite clean scans?

I'm running NIS 2009 and was using Firefox.

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Hi

Sound like a Fake Alert at least trying to get and stay in.  as long as you didn'ty click on,  " I need to scan blah blah." anywhere.

Quads 

Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,437
Solutions: 528

[ Edited ]

TechGeek7 wrote:

I ended up with this problem today as well. While on a popular site it suddenly closed and andoscan pop up window came up telling me I need to scan blah blah. I keep everything up to date so it freaked me out. I have now run scans 3 times and come up with nothing. I don't see a program lurking any where but have to admit I'm concerned that I just can't see it. Could I be missing it despite clean scans?

I'm running NIS 2009 and was using Firefox.

As long as you didn't click on the pop-up, avoided any interaction with it and terminated your browser via task manager, you should be fine. May I suggest that you install at least the add-ons NoScript and AdblockPlus for Firefox? They're very good because they enhance your security.

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 09-07-2009 10:30 AM
Super Phishing Phryer
Turbo

As Quads said it is a fake alert . As long as you did not download and install their garbage you are okay. Yaso's post has some good advice as well.
Contributor
TC2009

[ Edited ]

Thanks all for your help. As I said it doesn't happen all the time, just once every few days or so. And only on the one site which I will give the link to if anyone wants to try it( it is a very legit and popular sports news site, not a file sharing or download site)

I have done some experimenting to see if it might be my computer that is the fault of this. So I have started not going to my favorite site to see if I still get that pop up from other sites. I don't. As I said other users of the family computer(all with the same login) never get it and they don't go to the site I go to. Actually today I have yet to visit this sports site and have yet to get the pop up, despite surfing the net to at least 5-6 different sites. And my wife was on before and went to several sites as well with no pop up.

I wonder if it is in a rotation of their ads?

techgeek7, what site did you go to that had that pop up? (PM me)

Message Edited by TC2009 on 09-07-2009 07:15 AM
Visitor
TechGeek7

Thanks for the advice all.

The way Turbo described it is how it appeared to me...a lot like an XP Window with the appearance of a scan starting on my computer. I am not 100% sure that I didn't click on this fake window unintentionally. (1. It was late and I was exhausted and 2. I had been checking email and was going to click a check box to delete one when all of a sudden the pop up window was there instead - it was VERY fast)

I did run 3 NIS 2009 full system scans plus 2 quick scans and nothing came up. I just downloaded the suggested Firefox plug ins. Should I try another type of antivirus/malware scanner just to be sure something isn't lurking here?

Thanks again for the advice.

Running: NIS 2009, Windows XP, Firefox

Visitor
TechGeek7

Update to my last post. I decided to download the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run a scan.

Result:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Questions: Legit?  Result of the pop up nonsense? Advice?