Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
OE09
Accepted Solution

what is avenger?

I have seen in a couple of posts something about "avenger" and geekstogo.com

what is that?

I had a document on my C drive that was from avenger and I don't recall every installing that

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Re: what is avenger?

Hi OE09,

Welcome to Norton Community!

You can find more information on Avenger tool in the following link:

http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/avenger2/avenger2.html

Yogesh

Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,436
Solutions: 528

[ Edited ]
If you go to the link Yogesh has indicated above (the geekstogo website from where you can download Avenger) you will get more info about Avenger. In a nutshell, it is an anti-malware tool which is designed to yank out particularly stubborn nasties (e.g. rootkits) from the computer. Our guru Quads is superb with handling the tool (only computer gurus like Quads should handle Avenger, by the way...it's not something to play around with!!!), and, to my knowledge, currently the only person who can do so in this forum. He writes scripts which targets the nasties; when these scripts are inserted into Avenger, Avenger, upon execution, aims to kill the nasties ;-D
Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 08-27-2009 06:27 PM
Contributor
OE09

does it have anything to do with malewarebytes? I ran malewarebytes Monday morning. Later that evening when I rebooted, I noticed this avenger document. But I never went to that link, just malewarebytes
Yaso_Kuuhl

OE09 wrote:
does it have anything to do with malewarebytes? I ran malewarebytes Monday morning. Later that evening when I rebooted, I noticed this avenger document. But I never went to that link, just malewarebytes

In itself it doesn't have anything to do with Malware Bytes. Over here in the forum, what often happens in the rootkit threads, is that the poster is recommended to run Malware Bytes to see if there are any nasties, especially rootkits, on the computer, and to get the infected computer cleaned up as much as possible. Lingering and stubborn nasties which refuse to be yanked out are nuked with Avenger in a second step. In other words: they are two totally separate programs; what they share in common is the nuking of malware ,-))

delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

Like all specialized antimalware tools, Avenger is not something to be used, or experimented with.  If you have it on your system, it should be removed.  It may also have ended up in the Malwarebytes quarantine, which is a good place for it to be, and solves the problem handily.:smileywink:
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Contributor
OE09

[ Edited ]

but I guess the big question for me is how did it get on there?

Plus it wasn't a file, just a document

Now I'm somewaht confused because if "quads" works with that, then isn't it NOT maleware?

Message Edited by OE09 on 08-27-2009 09:29 AM
delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

Some tools of this nature are occasionally treated as malware by other antivirus products.  False positives are more likely to occur with these tools.

If the document that you found was C:\ Avenger.txt, then you should be able to open it in Notepad and look at it.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Contributor
OE09

I did open it the document and it said something about unable to open a script?? I deleted the document and I ran a search for anything more with avenger in it and found nothing
Yaso_Kuuhl

Well, then, looks like everything is fine, and now you know what Avenger is ;-)))