Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
timboyboy

what is reputation scan purpose for?

[ Edited ]

what is reputation scan purpose for?

Dinesh_Bhalaji
Kudos: 28
Solutions: 10

Re: what is reputation scan purpose for?

Hi Timboyboy,

Reputation scan on the Norton is to check a reputation of a file.

Improved reputation scan provides the user with an easy to understand interface on files stored on the user's computer. Marking them as trusted, good, poor, or bad. Reputation Scan compares the files on your computer with those about which information is submitted from the computers of millions of other Norton users. From Reputation Scan, one can learn how common or rare these files are across Norton users, whether those files are trustworthy, and their age. You can use Reputation Scan to perform a Quick Scan, Full System Scan, or Custom Scan.

Regards,

Dinesh Bhalaji
Atomic_Blast
Kudos: 219
Solutions: 39

[ Edited ]

Hi timboyboy:

You might wish to take a look at the presentation on Reputation Scan, as well..

http://us.norton.com/products/tutorials/tutorials.jsp?pvid=nis2012&tutid=reputation_scan

It is very informative.

Cheers!

Atomic_Blast :)

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."
Contributor
MarkAtHome

Dinesh_Bhalaji wrote:

Hi Timboyboy,

Reputation scan on the Norton is to check a reputation of a file.

Improved reputation scan provides the user with an easy to understand interface on files stored on the user's computer. Marking them as trusted, good, poor, or bad. Reputation Scan compares the files on your computer with those about which information is submitted from the computers of millions of other Norton users. From Reputation Scan, one can learn how common or rare these files are across Norton users, whether those files are trustworthy, and their age. You can use Reputation Scan to perform a Quick Scan, Full System Scan, or Custom Scan.

Hi Dinesh -- where can this be disabled?

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello MarkAtHome

This is a scan which can help shorten the time of your Idle Quick Scans also and the Idle Full System Scan. In NIS 2011, it is a scan that you can run by yourself. You can find the scan when you hit scan now. The Reputation Scan is one of the choices to run. I don't believe it is one of the background tasks. Running the scan is something that would help your computer. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Contributor
MarkAtHome

floplot wrote:

Hello MarkAtHome

This is a scan which can help shorten the time of your Idle Quick Scans also and the Idle Full System Scan. In NIS 2011, it is a scan that you can run by yourself. You can find the scan when you hit scan now. The Reputation Scan is one of the choices to run. I don't believe it is one of the background tasks. Running the scan is something that would help your computer. Thanks.

Hi floplot -- thanks, but I am fully aware of what it does. My concern is whether it is done when a system scan takes place, regardless of my Insight settings, which are off by choice.

If it is not triggered by a system scan, there is no problem. Otherwise, I need to know of a more direct way to disable it.