Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
JoeKool82185

won't let me uninstall an uninstalled program

That title sounds bizarre, so let me explain.

I just recently downloaded the game "Slender: The Arrival". It won't even load the .exe file that installs the game. From what I understand, the anti-virus is preventing the game from installing. OK, fair enough, I figure I just go and put the game on the list of exceptions or whatever, as was recommended to me.

I load Norton and try to do it, but the program actually closes out. Reopening it gives me the message that there is another program that conflicts with Norton called AVG 2012. Alright, I probably downloaded that in order to have as many programs figting these viruses as possible (I do recognize the program), and while I've never had a problem before, I'll just uninstall it now. Except that clicking on AVG 2012 to uninstall tells me that program isn't even installed in the first place!

So, in summary, Norton won't let me uninstall a program that apparently isn't even installed, but I can't use the program until I figure away around this logical fallacy. Can someone help me out here? All I want is to play this one game...........

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,852
Solutions: 378

Re: won't let me uninstall an uninstalled program

Joe,

<<  I probably downloaded that in order to have as many programs figting these viruses as possible (I do recognize the program), and while I've never had a problem before, I'll just uninstall it now. Except that clicking on AVG 2012 to uninstall tells me that program isn't even installed in the first place!  >>

That was a fundemental mistake because they don't give better protection, they end up fighting each other thinking the other is malware.

Plain Windows uninstall does not remove everything so most security programs have special tools and here is the link to get the AVG one:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities 

Make sure you get the right one to match what you had and your Windows system.

After that reboot and try installing your game again but if you have problems you might have to reinstall Norton to make sure it is OK after meeting AVG and you might have to download the game again.

You did not add any other AV devices did you?

Hugh
B_Trevathan

Re: won't let me uninstall an uninstalled program

You should never have more than one anti-virus program at a time on your computer, because it causes conflicts and then a virus can slip by.

It is OK to have more than one anti-malware (anti-malicious software) program such as "Malwarebytes Anti-malware" or "SuperAntiSpyware" but not more than one anti-virus program.

If it was me I would try running the AVG Remover program. You can find the 32bit or the 64bit program here: http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

You may want to backup all your important data before running this program, I don't think you will have any problems but you never know and it is all ways good to have a backup.