Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
defiant324

wow.dll error

NIS removed wow.dll & now I keep getting the error message: "There was a problem starting C:username\AppDataLocalTempsfbxmupsvoocpwwow.dll  The specified module could not be found".

How do I fix this?

peterweb
Kudos: 1,456
Solutions: 364

Re: wow.dll error

How did you know that Norton removed this file? Was it in the Windows folder?

If in fact you have a problem with your Windows installation, you can run a system check.

Click on Start, then in the search box, type CMD. Right click on CMD.exe and click on Run as Administrator. In the cmd box type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This will check and attempt to repair your Windows installation.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Bot Obliterator
Quads

C:username\AppDataLocalTemp\sfbxmupsvoocpwwow.dll 

Norton has correctly deleted the file as a piece of malware but not all of it, Windows is still looking for it until the rest is correctly removed.

Quads

Bot Obliterator
Quads

[ Edited ]

For peterweb

defiant324 wrote:

NIS removed wow.dll & now I keep getting the error message: "There was a problem starting C:username\AppDataLocalTempsfbxmupsvoocpwwow.dll  The specified module could not be found".

How do I fix this?

What is this for?????

"Click on Start, then in the search box, type CMD. Right click on CMD.exe and click on Run as Administrator. In the cmd box type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This will check and attempt to repair your Windows installation."

Quads

peterweb
Kudos: 1,456
Solutions: 364

Quads wrote:

For peterweb

defiant324 wrote:

How do I fix this?

What is this for?????

"Click on Start, then in the search box, type CMD. Right click on CMD.exe and click on Run as Administrator. In the cmd box type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This will check and attempt to repair your Windows installation."

Quads

I do not possess the knowledge of all Windows files or malware variants. Your explanation in the previous post explains it for me that this was a malware issue.

Originally my thought was it had something to do with WOW in Windows, and the SFC would be to check the system files in case that section had gotten messed up.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Bot Obliterator
Quads

Here is the Windows error message for wow.dll

wow_dll error.jpg

Here was what happened to one system due to buggy malware or incorrect removal (so far)

"Whenever my computer starts up, it is automatically directed to a blank, black screen save for a blinking white cursor on the top-middle of the screen. The Windows logo animation screen does not even appear, it just skips to the aforementioned black screen. I have so far waited about 12 hours for something to happen, and of course nothing happens. I am not redirected to Startup Repair or anywhere else after any reboot.

I recall that prior to this, while I was trying to organise some of my files, my computer suddenly decided to close all programs and shut down on its own for no conspicuous reason."

This is what has been done so far

HKLM\...\Run: [cnsim] "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\cnsim.dll",Update [526336 2013-02-28] (Media Technology)
HKLM\...\Run: [unevc] "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\unevc.dll",AsEncodedObject [316928 2013-02-28] (Mise Technology,Inc)
HKU\admin\...\Run: [cnsim] "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\cnsim.dll",Update [526336 2013-02-28] (Media Technology)
HKU\admin\...\Run: [unevc] "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\unevc.dll",AsEncodedObject [316928 2013-02-28] (Mise Technology,Inc)
HKU\admin\...\Run: [ej-technologies] Rundll32.exe C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\ej-technologies\skblxhoh.dll,WOWDirectedYield16 [761344 2013-04-01] ()
HKU\admin\...\Run: [aMousehid] rundll32.exe "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\aMousehid\aMousehid.dll",ClipWISvcs Acroobjserv [28672 2013-04-05] ()
HKU\admin\...\Winlogon: [Shell] explorer.exe,C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\skype.dat [137728 2010-10-26] (Elemental Group)
HKLM-x32\...\Winlogon: [Shell] C:\PROGRA~3\ir0odmj.bat [x ] ()    needs repairing not deleting
Startup: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\msconfig.lnk
ShortcutTarget: msconfig.lnk -> C:\PROGRA~3\jmdo0ri.dat (No File)
C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Desktop.ini
C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\Desktop.ini
C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-2284440560-2780697144-91482775-1000\$57657a62a2337c352a734be01c9627a4
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shoB1CC.tmp
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shoE8CC.tmp
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shoEAC5.tmp
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sho647C.tmp
C:\Users\admin\iexplore.exe
C:\Users\admin\vlcplayer.exe
C:\Users\admin\msconfig.exe
C:\Users\admin\firefox.exe
C:\Users\admin\acrobat.exe
C:\ProgramData\ir0odmj.pad
C:\ProgramData\ir0odmj.js
C:\ProgramData\ir0odmj.reg
C:\ProgramData\ir0odmj.bat
\Device\Harddisk0\DR0 ( TDSS File System )
\Device\Harddisk0\DR0 ( TDSS File System )

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\cnsim Value deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\unevc Value deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\admin\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\cnsim Value deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\admin\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\unevc Value deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\admin\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\ej-technologies Value deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\admin\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\aMousehid Value deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\admin\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\\Shell Value deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\\Shell Value was restored successfully .
C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\msconfig.lnk moved successfully.
ShortcutTarget: msconfig.lnk -> C:\PROGRA~3\jmdo0ri.dat (No File) not found.
C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Desktop.ini moved successfully.
C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\Desktop.ini moved successfully.
C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-2284440560-2780697144-91482775-1000\$57657a62a2337c352a734be01c9627a4 moved successfully.
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shoB1CC.tmp moved successfully.
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shoE8CC.tmp moved successfully.
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shoEAC5.tmp moved successfully.
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sho647C.tmp moved successfully.
C:\Users\admin\iexplore.exe moved successfully.
C:\Users\admin\vlcplayer.exe moved successfully.
C:\Users\admin\msconfig.exe moved successfully.
C:\Users\admin\firefox.exe moved successfully.
C:\Users\admin\acrobat.exe moved successfully.
C:\ProgramData\ir0odmj.pad moved successfully.
C:\ProgramData\ir0odmj.js moved successfully.
C:\ProgramData\ir0odmj.reg moved successfully.
C:\ProgramData\ir0odmj.bat moved successfully.

Quads

Bot Obliterator
Quads

Windows still had the registry keys for wow.dll so that on startup is to load wow.dll but due to not being able to the error message appears.

Keys,

HKCR\[...]\InprocServer32 : (C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\[FOLDER]\[FOLDER]\\wow64.dll) needs to be repaired with C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll

rundll32.exe -- C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe : C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\[FOLDER]\\[FOLDER]\\wow.dll

Quads