Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
curtis83

Can't install NMS on a lenovo ideapad

Hi, norton tablet security comes preloaded on my lenovo ideapad for 1 month. When it expired i purchased a norton mobile security from a store. Followed the instructions and downloaded from google plat store and installed it, when I open it it says old version of norton detected and click on upgade. When i do that it takes me to the old norton and asks for a product key, typed it in and it says invalid.

So I then go and disable the old norton, can't uninstall it because it's stored in the root, and just try a fresh install of the new norton, it says the same thing and when I click on upgade it then says "Norton can't install and must close". And that's all I can get, going around in circles. Iv tried a different product key and still says invalid, I called Norton support and they say it's a lenovo issue and I need to uninstall the old norton, called Lenovo and they say it's a Norton issue because it should upgrade the old norton and that you can't uninstall the root apps.

So any ideas?

Thanks.

Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

Re: Can't install NMS on a lenovo ideapad

Hi curtis83.

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums. :smileyhappy:

Sorry to hear about your problem.  As the issue appears to arise from the fact that Norton Tablet Security (NTS) is a pre-loaded system app I wonder if you have thought of contacting Lenovo?

You could consider rooting the device and getting rid of the old software that way but it is not a route I would normally recommend.

If the installed version of NTS prevents you from using the licence you have bought you might like to go back to the store (particularly if it is the same store you bought the Lenovo from) and ask for your money back.  If it is a different store and they will not give you your money back you could try Norton as they have a very good refund policy if the purchase was less than 60 days ago.  Details of this can be found via this link.

I hope some of that helps.  Do let us know how you get on.

curtis83

Yes i did contact lenovo, they said you can't uninstall Norton because it's in the root and that I should contact Norton to see if they have a way to upgrade the existing norton. Ye I could get a refund from the store and use a kaspersky tablet security instead i guess. Not a fix though is it. I'll think about rooting it as you say.

Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

Pity Lenovo were so unhelpful given that they put it in the root in the first place!  :smileysad: