Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
grinsby77

Norton Mobile Renewal

I've been trying to update for two weeks now, but keep getting errors.  The Update website doesn't have Mobile Security listed as a program.  When I try to go through Norton Management (clicking the renew button for Mobile Security under my tablet) I get a "general error" with a link back to "Management Home".

How can I renew without losing my backups, etc.???  I only have 5 days left.

Trojan Terminator
Andmike

Re: Norton Mobile Renewal

Hi grinsby77.

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums.   :-)

Do not worry five days is lots of time.  

Can you tell us which version of Norton Mobile Security you are using and where you got it from?

Have you run "Live Update" recently?  If so did anything noticeable happen?

The normal way to upgrade Android apps is to link to Google Play and update from there.  Do you normally do that and if so has there been any suggestion that NMS was updated?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Visitor
grinsby77

I'm running version 3.2.0.769 on a Toshiba Thrive tablet running Android 4.0.4.01.  I did download through Google Play (or whatever it was called last year).  No, I have not received an update notice through Play or Norton, for that matter.  I just check my "installed" apps in Play and Norton Security & Antivirus is showing up.  Which brings up another question:  what exactly is the name of the program - Norton Mobile Security or Norton Security & Antivirus?  Been seeing both while researching.

Seems like I'll lose any "historical data" if I have to re-install/re-purchase.  Not that I'm too worried.  Don't have anything pressing in my old backups.

Visitor
grinsby77

Forgot to mention - I run Live update every couple of days - nothing there but definitions.

Trojan Terminator
Andmike

Hello again grinsby77.

It looks to me as if all is well.  You have the latest version and I believe that in about 2 days the software will start nagging you to renew, and should facilitate your doing so.  This may seem a bit odd and this will hopefully change in the future but at the moment there seems to be no way to start the renewal process more than about 3 days before licence expiry.  

So I suggest that you keep an eye on this over the weekend and let us know what happens early next week.

As for the name.... well most people call the app Norton Mobile Security but the name shown for this app on Google Play is Norton Security & Antivirus (or even Norton Mobile Security Lite - for the free version with limited features) they are all the same app and the capabilities now include all those that used to be in Norton Tablet Security.  Confused.... well I wouldn't be surprised.  I think this is done to try and confuse the malware producers .... it certainly works for me.  ;-)

I hope that answers your questions.  If not come back and say so.

Good luck.  I look forward to hearing back from you next week.  Hopefully with good news.  ;-)

Visitor
grinsby77

Thanks...I'll keep an eye open for the prompt. Just not a big procrastinator...
Visitor
grinsby77

Well, I finally got the "Renew" button.  I click it, then the button that says "Renew My Subscription", but it takes me to a page that states "mfpageNotFoune - Sorry! We could not find the page you requested!"

Any other ideas?  Should I just re-install and hope it works better next year?  My account shows the program as expired, but my tablet says 1 day left.

Thanks,

Trojan Terminator
Andmike

[ Edited ]

Hi grinsby77.

Not having much luck are you!

I am aware of a few web link issues at the moment and have drawn this one to the attention of Norton.  All I can suggest is that you might like to try it again and see if the link now works or just uninstall and start again with a new subscription.  Sorry that the experience is not being what one might hope for.

Good luck with whatever you try.

PS you might also like to unmark this thread "solved".

Visitor
grinsby77

I've already started the uninstall/install process.  And I "unsolved" the thread.  Thanks for your help - thought we had it when the renewal prompt started showing up in the program.  Hopefully, Symantec will having the renewal process working better next year.  Haven't had problems with other Norton programs on other computers.  Thanks again...

Trojan Terminator
Andmike

I just wish I could have been of more help grinsby77.

As you say - next year all should be well.  The product and the technology will be a little more mature and hopefully we will all be a little wiser.

Good luck.