Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
savedave

norton anti theft / mobile security - devices not showing in dashboard

Hi there

I have just set up the norton apps on my two devices: Samsung Galaxy S3 and Asus Nexus 7.  I might have done it all wrong though! The end result is that while I am logged in and apparently set up on both devices, I cannot access them both from the website dashboard.  If I use Firefox, I was previously able to access only the Samsung S3, and was able to send a scream, but now it tells me I have no devices, and if I use Chrome, I cannot access either and instead get this error message:

We're sorry, but we're having a problem accessing the page you are trying to view.

Error ID: 28fd404c-d042-47fc-a4c0-a04c89b32c9e

I bought the Nexus 7 with Norton Tablet Security from PC World in the UK.  I downloaded the software from the website and installed it on both the phone and the tablet, registered with the supplied code and all seemed well.  On both devices I was pointed to upgrade to the latest versions.  It seemed like I might have done this several times, what with the various add ons, and I got a bit confused, but I now have the following installed on the Nexus 7: Norton Anti-Theft and Norton Mobile, and on the Samsung Galaxy S3: Norton Mobile only.

In both cases I have logged in to the apps. In both cases the apps say the anti theft is secure, and the anti malware is secure etc. Security Lock is enabled.

Have I done something wrong? Am I using the wrong apps for my devices.  Should I have used two separate codes to register rather than one?

Can you help please, as so far this seems like a big waste of money!

FYI my computer is a mac running 10.6.8.

thanks kindly

Trojan Terminator
Andmike

Re: norton anti theft / mobile security - devices not showing in dashboard

Hi savedave.

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums. :smileyhappy:

I am not entirely clear about your set up so please forgive me if I ask some basic questions.

You appear to be trying to use Norton Anti-Theft and Norton Mobile Security (NMS).  I am not aware of any reason for trying to use both at the same time and am concerned that trying to might lead to confusion.

Can you pleas advise what versions of NMS you currently have on your devices.  This should hopefully look something like V.3.3.0.982 and can be found under menu/about.

I assume you have logged on to mobilesecurity.norton.com.  When you do what does it show you there about devices?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Visitor
savedave

Sorry to have taken so long to reply.

I have had to since have both devices replaced, so currently I have nothing installed on either. 

Can you advise what I should have installed on my Asus Nexus 7 tablet, and my samsung galaxy s3?  I have purchased the norton tablet security.  Will I need to purchase anything else?

thanks kindly

Trojan Terminator
Andmike

Hi savedave.

I am a little unsure of how best to answer your question as the upgrade process you went through before means that I am not sure of the starting position.  However if you have purchased two licences for Norton Tablet Security (NTS) which has now been superseded by Norton Mobile Security (NMS) then you should be entitled to the full use of NMS for up to a year from the purchase date.  So the only issue is how best to get you up and running....  ;-)

What we do not want is a copy of NTS and a copy of NMS both installed at the same time so first check your apps list to make sure that neither are on the devices.  Assuming they are not I would suggest that we try the following approach.:-

On just one of your devices (if is works for one it should work for the other but let us wait and see), go to Google Play and download and install NMS (NOT repeat NOT NTS).  Then when you are encouraged to purchase/register the products click on the "I have already purchased this product" (or words to that effect) option.  This should take you through to the mobilesecurity.norton.com website and activate NMS on the device.

If it works try the same on your second device.  If it does not come back and tell us exactly where you hit problems and what they were (screen shots may be useful).

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.  ;-)

Visitor
savedave

Hi and thanks.

I followed your advice and seem to be getting there.
 It may have been a conflict with having an outdated piece of norton software.  I suggest they remove that software to prevent this.

I now have the latest version of nms on both my phone and tablet.  From the desktop I am able to scream and locate both.  But I cannot run 'sneak peak' on either.  This makes me worried that I would not be able to run 'lock device' and 'wipe' in either case. 

Do you know what might be wrong with sneak peak, and how to test the other features?

I'd also prefer it if my subscription could begin from the day I actually get the software working - so far I have lost 40 days of the subsription.

Thanks kindly,

SD

Trojan Terminator
Andmike

Hi savedave.

First your last point, as it was PC world who sold you, what I would consider to be, inappropriate software, you might like to take this up with them.  Norton are giving you a free upgrade so I think you are getting a fairly good deal from them already.  And I am not a Norton employee just an unpaid volunteer.

Not sure about the lack of sneak peek.  There have been issues in the past with this given that some devices have back facing, some have front facing and some have two way facing cameras.  Hopefully someone with more experience of the Samsung or Nexus will be able to offer an informed comment.

As for testing the wipe command..... well if you really want to, but I have always left it to trust...   ;-)

I do know someone who did try it and it worked!

The lock command is not however, a bid deal.  The website gives you the unlock code, so just lock your device using the website and then use the code to unlock it.  Hopefully that will give you enough confidence not to feel it necessary to test the wipe command.

Does that help?

Good luck.