Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
Saganized
Accepted Solution

1.0.2.86 (15 Dec 2011), Menu > About (does not work properly)

[ Edited ]

Hello again Erik, I downloaded and installed the current update (version 1.0.2.86) of Norton Mobile Utilities (NMU) from the Android Market.

After installation, I pressed Menu > About to confirm I had updated my T-Mobile HTC G2 to version 1.0.2.86.  However, it doesn't seem to work properly.

Rather than showing me the current version, it briefly displays a blank screen; then returns me to the NMU home screen (where it shows icons for Apps, Usage, Device, and Installer).  I can't see the "About" at all.

Please advise!  Again, my mobile device is a T-Mobile HTC G2, running Android Gingerbread 2.3.4.  Thanks!

smithy

Re: 1.0.2.86 (15 Dec 2011), Menu > About (does not work properly)

[ Edited ]

Hi Saganized

I will try to assist you with this issue. :)

To start with you could try and reboot the device and re-open NMU Beta  to see if this

has resoloved the issue.

If not it might pay to uninstall NMU Beta from Menu- Settings- Applications- Manage

Applications- NMU Beta- Clear Cache and Data then uninstall NMU Beta.

Open Android Market and search for NMU Beta and download and install again for a

fresh install then open NMU Beta and check the version number to see if things are ok.

You will loose any data and settings with NMU when uninstalling but it should resolve

the issue you have.

I hope this info helps to resolve the issue you have, let us know how you go.:smileyhappy:

Cheers

Regular Contributor
Saganized

Hi Smithy, I followed your instructions to the letter; but the result was the same:  when I rebooted, "About" still didn't work.

Then, when I uninstalled and reinstalled 1.0.2.86 from the Market, "About" still doesn't work.  When I press Menu > About, it goes briefly to a dark blank screen, followed by the NMU Home screen (with the four icons).  So, "About" on the drop-down menu doesn't work at all.

Please note that I can confirm the version (1.0.2.86) when I go to Manage Apps.  However, the "About" in NMU still isn't working for me at all.

Everything else with the program seems to work fine (as far as I can tell).

Trojan Terminator
Andmike

Thanks for this puzzling report Saganized.

I can confirm that it works here.  There are two way of getting to "about" from the home screen, the menu button and the group of lines at the top right of the screen.  Can you just check and see if either approach makes any difference.  

Then I suspect it will be down to someone trying to find a matching device to yours to see if it works or not on that.  Are you running a stock HTC G2?  I noticed elsewhere that you said you were using Android 2.3.4 but I thought the G2 came with Android 2.2 as standard.

Symantec Employee
erik_carlstrom

Saganized,
Could you post your complete phone version:
Android version
Base and version
Kernel
Build

Also, could you run LogCat while recreating the issue? If you're unfamiliar with LogCat I'll find a post with those instructions for you.
Erik
Product Manager
Symantec Corporation
Regular Contributor
Saganized

[ Edited ]

Hi, Andmike.  I've tried both ways and can confirm that neither works..."About" shows a blank screen for a split second, then goes straight to the Home screen.

You are correct, the G2 came with Froyo (Android 2.2).  However, many users have received an over-the-air (OTA) update to Gingerbread (Android 2.3.4).  Please see this thread on the T-Mobile Support Community Forums:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1809

(If that link doesn't work, please search the T-Mobile Support Community Forums for subject, "Software upgrade to Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread) - T-Mobile G2".)

Let me add that I also had a more serious issue recently with Norton Mobile Security:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Mobile-Security/Norton-Mobile-Security-freezing-on-TMobile-HTC...

Perhaps the issues are related, in that NMS required an update to get my G2 working (please read Erik Carlstrom's comments throughout that thread).  That is, perhaps NMU will need an update for Gingerbread modded G2s?  Thanks again!

Trojan Terminator
Andmike

Thanks Saganized.

I was aware of your previous issue which is how I knew that you were not on 2.2.

Erik is on the case so I will leave you to reply to his post.  As you know from your previous experience you are in capable hands with him.

All the best.

Regular Contributor
Saganized

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Andmike!  And now, back to Erik...  lol

PS  Also, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, if you're so inclined!  :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
Saganized

[ Edited ]

T-Mobile HTC G2
Android version:  REL, Release 2.3.4, SDK (whatever that is lol...10)
Baseband version:  12.62.60.27U_26.13.04.19_M
Kernel:  Linux version 2.6.35.10-g96de068 (htc-kernel@and18-2) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Thu Jun 9 14:50:54 CST 2011
Build:  Firmware Version 2.3.4, build GRJ22

CatLog will soon be forwarded via email (I have the addy).

NOTE:  The CatLog will show trying to see "About" two times:  (1) Menu > About, and (2) Dropdown Menu > About.  I tried both ways in succession.

Symantec Employee
erik_carlstrom

Thanks again Saganized.  I'll send this along to the team to take a look.

Erik
Product Manager
Symantec Corporation