Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

Apparent inconsistency between high level and detailed CPU usage.

I cannot be sure if this is a new 1.0.2.95 issue or has been there for some time, though I suspect it is the latter.  When I look at Device: CPU, I get a figure of say 49%.  Then when I select CPU I get a list of apps which shows usage of just 34%.  Then if I back out to the graph again it still shows around 49%.  I have tried this several times and it almost always comes up with a substantially higher figure on the graph than in the details for apps.

Not causing me any problems but it is puzzling me and got me wondering why the difference.  Hence this post.

Rik55
Topics: 2
Kudos: 8
Solutions: 0

Re: Apparent inconsistency between high level and detailed CPU usage.

Its always done it with mine as well. I just presumed the extra CPU % was caused by NMU having to draw the graphs which it doesn't have to do when looking at the individual apps.
WIN7SP1x64 RTM, ASUS P5Q E6300 @ 2.8GHz, FSB 400, 2 x 2GB GEIL DDR2 800, ASUS HD4850 512MB @700/1100MHz,
SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER T220, SEAGATE ST3500410AS 500GB SATA300, HITACHI HDS721616PLAT80 160GB ATA133,
OPTIARC DVD RW AD 7200S SATA150, ANTEC NEOPOWER 650W.
Norton 360 6.1.1.8, Norton Mobile Security 2.5.0.395, Norton Mobile Utilities 1.0.2.95,
Norton Mobile Anti-Theft 1.3.0.122, Norton Mobile Identity Safe 1.0.0, Norton Mobile Connect 0.0.5
Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000), Android 2.3.5, Firmware I9000XXJVT
Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

Hi Rik55.

Yes that was my assumption as well.  But still seems a bit odd and a substantial difference.

Thanks.

smithy

Hi

I am running some tests on my Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Ace and the Ace is nearly, and i say nearly

correct when switching between CPU graph and the list of apps using CPU. Sometimes there might

be 5-10% difference. Where for example the graph percentage is 35% and the list of CPU usage

apps is 26% when added up. Sometimes the Ace is exactly right where i have not yet found the

same result with SGS2.

Where the results for my SGS2 are a little bit different as switching between CPU graph and listed

CPU usage apps will be between 10-15% difference. Where for example the graph percentage is

18% and the list of CPU usgae apps will be 8% when added up.

And when navigating to the app list screen the percentage does not spike with NMU in the list with

the transistion as i would have thought that it might with the CPU activity.

Just a bit more feedback. :smileyhappy:

Cheers. :smileywink:

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Symantec Employee
erik_carlstrom

The difference is definitely something that can occur.  Anytime you move to something that has a lot of graphics you'll see a spike in usage.  

Erik
Product Manager
Symantec Corporation
Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

The really odd thing is that when I go from graph to details about apps and then back to the graph.  The graph does not show a dip in usage when I am looking at the apps screen, which is showing lower usage.  The implication is that the graph is measuring something different.  Maybe it is measuring the load put on the system to draw the graphs but then should it not show a dip in the line when it was not being displayed?

Not a big deal, just odd and puzzling to me at the moment.

Symantec Employee
erik_carlstrom

Just to clarify, you are adding up the total percentage on the secondary page to compare with what you see on the device page?  

It may be something with how much is running.  I jsut tried to recreate this on my Xoom and I see the CPU level dropping after I go back.  Maybe if you could grab a screenshot.  

Erik
Product Manager
Symantec Corporation
Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

Hi Erik.

Sorry for the slow response but life has been a little hectic...

I present 3 screen shots in the hope they may help.  The first is the graphical screen showing a fairly level CPU usage of around 47%.  The second is the drill down app screen reached after image 1.  This shows just the system and Norton Utilities using resources of around 31%.  The third image is a little after switching back to the graphical interface showing a usage of 53% but with no dip in the graph for the period when the apps were being shown.  

device1.png  device2.png  device3.png

If you have any questions.  Just ask.

Symantec Employee
erik_carlstrom

Not a problem Mike.  

I wouldn't use the 31% as the total CPU usage as the list is long and the "0%" items aren't really 0.  You're going to have multiple items that are just about 0, but less than 1.  A lot of little things can add up pretty quick.  

I see a shift in the timeline graph of CPU, but it's hard to see.  What doesn't help is that you don't see the X scale at all.  

A big problem with this is visual scale.  

Erik
Product Manager
Symantec Corporation
Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

Just an update on this because of something I noticed this morning.  And in case anyone is still interested in NMU....

After a reboot of my Motorola Razr Maxx (still using Android 3.2.6).  I noticed that the NMU processor usage graph was around 98%.  Taping through to see what was causing this I found Norton Mobile Security at the top at 27% with a couple of others around 2%.   The figures I saw did not account for more than 35% but when I went back to the graph it was still straight lining at 97%.  This carried on, with variations, for some time.  Now I know that the 0% apps can add up but surely not to more than 50%!

NMU version 1.0.2.104.

If this happens again and I remember I will try and run Catlog and get some more screen shots (don't know what happened to the ones above but I can no longer see them).