09-29-2011 09:47 AM
As requested by Erik a new thread to report that my ZTE BLade (rooted and running Android 2.2) is still showing an orange/yellow line going left and a large negative number for usage on my last month's summary.
The month before and this month are fine but have had far smaller WiFi usage.
On the Data area, there is a yellow line going from the left margin to the start of the normal display space and it says -
2095751168 Byte/4.7 GB
This month a short yellow line starts in the normal place to the right of WiFi and it says-
9.7 MB/150.0 MB
I have turned off and on again since the update.
Hope that helps. Let me know if you want any more information.
09-29-2011 11:58 AM
To clarify, the bad data entry is only for a previous month? I need to check to see if the change is retroactive or not.
09-29-2011 01:22 PM
I suspect that the entry is probably correct (or reasonably so) but just incorrectly displayed. It only appears to occur if there is over 2 GB of WiFi data and I suspect has something to do with the way the display adjusts as the data logged increases.
But to answer your question - it did just show up for last month but that is the only month when I had over 2 GB of data.
However, if I amend the dates to get all the data into the current month then it has the same error for this month and not last.
Hope that makes sense.
09-29-2011 01:25 PM
That's about right. I'll let the team know that it looks like it's not fixed for you, or there's something that we're missing here.
09-30-2011 12:52 AM
I thin have said in a different thread that this latest upgrade fixed this problem for you. Can I just check whether the usage you had was over 2 GB? Looking at earlier threads I think that prior to the latest upgrade the problem may have occurred below 2 GB.
It also occurs to me that unless an upgrade fixing this is published within about a month I will not know if it is fixed as the data will have been erased and I don't plan to frequently download over 2 GB of data to my phone in a month!
09-30-2011 06:13 AM
Great catch! I'm asleep at the switch again--or spending too much concentration on the Norton 360 forum! I have only 1.3GB of Wi-Fi usage on my smartphone, and while I have over 4GB of data usage on my Xoom, only 862MB of Wi-Fi.
So this may not be a more specific configuration issue at all. That's good for a second drink!
09-30-2011 11:05 AM
So, it looks like the original problem was fixed, but you discovered a different refresh issue within the data. If you only access the the current Usage Data the problem should not occur, but if you go to settings, change the month, etc it looks like the problem can still recur. The team will work on fixing this new issue that you discovered.
09-30-2011 11:17 AM
Interesting diagnosis...Andmike is still right about the 2GB though, I think, because I just tried to induce the glitch by changing settings, months, etc. to no avail. Display still looks great for all months...but I have never gone over 2GB monthly usage on Wi-Fi (just Data).
So it would appear that 2GB Wi-Fi is significant here, whether settings has anything to do with it or not.
09-30-2011 12:12 PM
When I change the date so that the 2 GB comes in the current month then the problem arises in the current month.
What I think (emphasis on I, never mind the think), is that the problem relates to how the display adjusts to increasing amounts of data. When we reported it last time the team made a change that fixed the problem for more data than before but has still not solved it for 2 GB, and presumably above. However if this assumption is correct then given that they sorted out the smaller data problems the larger ones should be fairly simple.
I have however, appeared to be wrong, before now. ;-)