Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
jaynesedley

Blackberry playbook

I have just bought a playbook and been sold norton tablet security. When i use the link as directed to download upon opening it says no file found.  Is there any way round it or assistance? link is www.norton.com/uk/nts/dixons

Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

Re: Blackberry playbook

Hi jaynesedley.

Welcome to the community.

As far as I can see you have been miss-sold Norton Tablet Security.  It is for Tablets but for Android tablets and unless your Dixons sold tablet runs Android (which seem unlikely to me) then it is not an appropriate product.

I suggest that you contact Dixons and ask for a refund.  It would seem that you are definitely due for a refund of the cost of Norton Tablet Security but I also wonder if they were properly advising you in the purchase of the Blackberry tablet given that they don't seem to understand it.

Sorry I can't help any more.

If you have any further questions or if you think I have got anything wrong please do come back.

bleeper24
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 14

Hi to anyone who recently bought a Blackberry tablet and were offered Norton Tablet Security !

jaynesedley wrote:

I have just bought a playbook and been sold norton tablet security. When i use the link as directed to download upon opening it says no file found.  Is there any way round it or assistance? link is www.norton.com/uk/nts/dixons

If Dixons stores are selling the Norton Security software to Blackberry Playbook buyers...then it seems that it is most likely an error of judgement by a misinformed salesperson for starters :smileywink:!

As far as I am aware the excellent "QNX " Operating system that RIM have used in their tablet , will not be able to "play nicely " with Norton's software .

The release of Blackberry OS 2.0 set for February 2012 is expected to align with Android apps but what other levels of integration may be added , I don't think anyone s totally certain yet !

I bought a PB because of the excellent reputation of "QNX" which has a brilliant security reputation , I know the Apps library is nowhere near as comprehensive as Androids' scope ....but there are more than enough for me at present . The recent "price breaks made it a good buy for a 64Gb tablet @ £259 here in the U/K recently !

There have been reports of a security breach where users are " bridge linking " with their Blackberry mobile phone and wether this will be addressed by the release of OS 2.0 is something I'm not sure of yet ?

A recent " eSecurity Planet " websie article recently wrote .....[QUOTE] The PlayBook operating system, QNX OS, is “built to be secure,” said Reed. 

Apple’s iOS and variants of Google’s Android are mobile phone operating systems tweaked to run tablets.  Not so RIM’s QNX, which is an industrial-grade operating system with a track record of running critical services such as air traffic control systems.

RIM bought QNX in April 2010 with the intent of acquiring an operating system that satisfies the most nervous.  It does exactly that. “QNX is incredibly secure,” summed up Reed. [END] 

The "tablet marketplace " is very busy at the moment , and its' going to be interesting to see if the Playbooks' standing is going to see it improve its position ...or be hoplessly swamped by the bigger players ?

Just keeping a gentle finger on the pulse meantime :smileywink:

............Ed

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHD

Docendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)

bleeper24
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 14

Hi all

The long awaited Blackberry OS2 update arrived earlier today .Downloaded and installed faultlessly and adds more functionality to the tablet ....

Busy with other things at the moment so haven't had time to check out all the "bells and whistless" but first impressions look promising :smileywink:

The Blackberry isn't everyone's choice I know , and has some ground to cover to catch up to the "big players " in the tablet marketplace , but I am mightily impressed by QNX operating system and the overall build quality of this tablet ....and the featutes the Blackberry provides puts a tick in all the boxes I require !

It will be interesting to see how App Developers react to the new O.S2 possibilities presented.....Some interesting things may happen shortly ?

Ed

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHD

Docendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)

eggos

Hi All.

We are trying to install Norton tablet on a BlackBerry Playbook. We have upgraded to Os2 but when selecting the download the error message "unable to find default app" appears.

Had anyone managed a successful install yet?

Thanks

Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

Hi eggos.

Welcome to the Community.

As far as I am aware Norton Tablet Security is only available for Android tablets.  The system requirements are listed as:

Operating Systems
Android™: 2.2 or later

Device Requirements
Android™: 2.2 with 1.8 MB of storage

So a Blackberry Playbook does not seem to fit the bill.  It is always possible that a Blackberry version may become available later but I have no knowledge of when or whether that is likely to happen.  In fact I am wondering where you are even finding the app to try and download as I assumed that Blackberry devices do not use Google Play (it being only for Android devices).

Sorry if I am the bringer of what may be bad news but I hope it has helped you understand the issue.

Any more questions - please feel free to come back.

eggos

We were told the latest upgrade allowed android apps but this does not appear to be true.

Maybe I wll be asking for a refund
Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

Hi eggos.

Sorry for the lack of understanding not being a Blackberry user myself I had not realised that Os 2 is supposed to run an Android Virtual Machine (VM).  Having done a bit more work I see that you are supposed to get your Android apps from a selected list in "App World".  As it occurs to me that security software may not be happy running in a VM can you confirm that Blackberry have actually made Norton Tablet Security available in "App World", or are you trying to get it from somewhere else?

Given the use of a VM I would be very wary of trying to use this sort of software on your machine unless it was given the positive thumbs up by Blackberry or Norton.  I have not seen Norton saying that it will run in a VM on the Blackberry.  This does not mean that most Android apps will not run.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

andypandy

Hi, Just thought i would let you know that i also bought the new blackberry playbook,a couple of weeks ago, and was sold the nortons tablet security, along with the knowhow cloud (which backs up and protects your files).

I asked my niece to install both for me, but she had no luck at all.

So i decided to take the nortons back to curry's, the salesperson said he would install it for me. lol

after 30mins + he came back to inform me that i had been mis-sold the nortons because it is not compatible with the blackberry, and that it only works with other tablets i.e nexus.

and he said that when i was sold it i should have been informed that the reason for them selling the product was because  it was on special offer for £10 and not the r.r.p of £29.99.

so that i could sell it on, to someone and maybe make a profit.

SO JUST TAKE IT BACK AND GET A REFUND LIKE I DID

Hope this helps.

Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

[ Edited ]

Hi andypandy.

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums. :smileyhappy:

Sorry to hear of your bad experience but glad you got your money back.  It would appear that Currys have been selling Norton Tablet Security with everything in recent months!  :-(

In the absence of a suitable Norton product, if you are still looking for something to protect your Blackberry playbook, you might like to look at this very helpful post from smithy which gives a number of suggestions.

All the best.