Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c
Accepted Solution

Blerk! Your Sign-in Got Derailed, AOL mail

Using Identity-Safe logins for any AOL mail account always gives a screen that says "Blerk!  Your sign-in got derailed...".   This happens nomatter how I try to sign in to the mail aol accounts.  On the other hand, once I click the link on that page, "Try again", the main AOL page opens, I click on the "sign-in" link, the sign in screen briefly appears with ID and password quickly filled in, and sign-in occurs.

This Blerk happens nomatter how I try to signin to AOL.

Windows XP sp3, Firefox 16,17,18,  IE 8; Norton Internet Security v20---whateveritis, up-to-date

Windows Vista , Firefox 16, 17, 18, IE 9.; Norton 360 v6.4.1.14 and all v6's earlier too.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,377
Solutions: 344

Re: Blerk! Your Sign-in Got Derailed, AOL mail

This seems to be an issue with AOL.

Were there other instructions on that 'Blerk' page? I Googled your error message, and found a few similar pages for login issues. Some gave suggestions, such as clearing caches.

Did you follow the suggestions?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

Clearing cookies means nothing.  Is clearing "cache" something different?  Explain this so I do it properly.   On Firefox, I tend not to store or collect any cookies because I adjusted the settings to use Private Browsing mode.  In IE, I periodically clear browsing data.

peterweb

Here is a page from Mozilla help pages for clearing caches.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache

Is that what your error page showed to do?

Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

peterweb,

I read what the mozilla page said about clearing cache.  I did that procedure.  It made no difference.  Still the same Blerk! page.

peterweb

It does not seem to be a Norton issue, as when you click retry you get logged in properly.

Try asking your question at the AOL help pages.   http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do

Let us know if you find a solution.

Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

Most likely the problem is Norton either of the Identity-Safe login system or the toolbar and specifically with AOL.  The same situation happens on three different computers (two for sure, each with separate Norton product).  The "Retry" link is part of the Blerk! page.  The saved login in Identity-Safe is used when getting the Blerk! page.  Here, Norton ToolBar and Identity-Safe logins are only for I.E. and Firefox.  I CAN ASLO SIGN IN TO AOL DIRECTLY WITHOUT USING SAVED LOGINS FROM IDENTITY-SAFE AND NO BLERK PAGE OCCURS, Firefox or Internet Explorer.  

Old Windows XP Computer with NIS v20 fully updated

Internet Explorer - Blerk!

Firefox - Blerk!

Comodo Dragon - success

Opera - success

Newer Windows Vista Computer with N360 v6 fully updated

Internet Explorer - Blerk!

Firefox - Blerk!

Comodo Dragon - success

Opera - success

peterweb

Are you using bookmarks or the links from the Norton Toolbar to access the AOL email pages?

In my quick searching on this, I found one page that suggested removing bookmarks and re establishing them.

Do you still get the Blerk page if you just type in the URL into your browser?

Regular Contributor
g_cafe_c

IDENTITY-SAFE!  The links for my logins in Identity-Safe.  That is what I use for logging in to email accounts and some website accounts when using Firefox and when using Internet Explorer.  When just visiting a site, I might or might not use the browser's bookmarks.  When logging in to some site with IE or Firefox, it is usually with logins stored in Identity-Safe.  

Your suggestion to delete the AOL email login and recreate it is interesting; I think I did that several months ago and might have worked for a while and so it is worth another try.  I know something like this occurs once in a while with ATT-Yahoo.  Again, this is for Identity-Safe logins for Norton toolbar/NIS/N360.  

peterweb

g_cafe_c wrote:

Your suggestion to delete the AOL email login and recreate it is interesting; I think I did that several months ago and might have worked for a while and so it is worth another try.  I know something like this occurs once in a while with ATT-Yahoo.  Again, this is for Identity-Safe logins for Norton toolbar/NIS/N360.  

Sometimes a site might change some code or a redirection on the page that will mess up an existing bookmark. Replacing the bookmark would be the solution.