Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
cjcostes

Could not load Norton Identity Safe - Chrome Error

Windows 8 Pro with Media Center x64
Norton 360 Premier Edition 20.2.0.19
Google Chrome Version 24.0.1312.56

All of a sudden within the past day or so, the Norton Toolbar/Identity Safe will not load in Google Chrome. When
launching Chrome, or opening a new tab, there is the error 'Could not load Norton Identity Safe'. Previously all was
working fine. Nothing was changed, it just seemed to stop working. Running LiveUpdate confirms that I have the
current version and I have the latest updates. I attempted to resolve the issue via the AutoFix, but it found no
complications. I even went as far as uninstalling/re-installing Norton 360, but the problem still persisted. In an
effort to ensure there wasn't a problem or interference with any other extensions, I disabled all extensions but
the Norton Identity Protection 2013.2.1.36, however the problem still persisted. I upgraded Google Chrome while
troubleshooting to the current version, I was previously running 24.0.1312.52 when the problem started, but that
still hasn't fixed the issue. I'm at a loss as to why it would all of a sudden just stop working. Any guidance or
assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

dickevans

Re: Could not load Norton Identity Safe - Chrome Error

cjcostes wrote:

Windows 8 Pro with Media Center x64
Norton 360 Premier Edition 20.2.0.19
Google Chrome Version 24.0.1312.56

All of a sudden within the past day or so, the Norton Toolbar/Identity Safe will not load in Google Chrome. When
launching Chrome, or opening a new tab, there is the error 'Could not load Norton Identity Safe'. Previously all was
working fine. Nothing was changed, it just seemed to stop working. Running LiveUpdate confirms that I have the
current version and I have the latest updates. I attempted to resolve the issue via the AutoFix, but it found no
complications. I even went as far as uninstalling/re-installing Norton 360, but the problem still persisted. In an
effort to ensure there wasn't a problem or interference with any other extensions, I disabled all extensions but
the Norton Identity Protection 2013.2.1.36, however the problem still persisted. I upgraded Google Chrome while
troubleshooting to the current version, I was previously running 24.0.1312.52 when the problem started, but that
still hasn't fixed the issue. I'm at a loss as to why it would all of a sudden just stop working. Any guidance or
assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome,
it would appear that you have the latest version of Chrome but not of 360. I'd suggest running live update until the program tells you that you have downloaded and installed all of the updates. Then I would reboot and run it one more time.

Keep us posted

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Visitor
rozeguy

I am having the exact same problem with NIS and according to your update program I have the latest version. As mentioned by the previous poster this has been going on for a couple of days now.

Contributor
cjcostes

[ Edited ]

It must not have applied the patch since I re-installed, as I now have version 20.2.1.22. Nonetheless, still after once again bringing N360 to the current version and running LiveUpdate until 'No updates found' the problem still exists. Please note this is the same state it was in before I uninstalled/re-installed as I mentioned. Further guidance would be appreciated.

Contributor
vsnmx

I too am suddenly having this problem.  I can't use Chrome or Firefox unless I disable Norton Identity Safe.  I ran live update and rebooted my computer but that hasn't helped.

FYI:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
System type: X86-based PC
Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

Contributor
vsnmx

UPDATE:  I uninstalled/reinstalled Norton 360 and so far it seems to have corrected the problem with Norton Identity Safe.

Contributor
cjcostes

Any further suggestions/recommendations for me since I am the original poster and my issue is still unresolved?

Visitor
rozeguy

Apparently they are not going to answer your original post.

Visitor
eeryelf

Windows 7 x64 Chrome v.24.0.1312.56 NIS2013 v20.2.1.22...

Windows 7 x64

Chrome v.24.0.1312.56

NIS2013 v20.2.1.22

I have been having the same problem for two days now. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling both chrome and NIS2013.

I have also tried to manually update my NIS product.

Nothing improved. The problem still remains!!!

Is there any way to fix it?

yank
Kudos: 2,243
Solutions: 511

cjcostes wrote:

Any further suggestions/recommendations for me since I am the original poster and my issue is still unresolved?

If you use Identity Safe for your Logins, please back it up (export) the data so it can be Restored (Imported) after you install a fresh copy of N 360.

Plese remove the copy of N 360 you have installed, using the Control Panel uninstall via Programs & Features.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and reboot after it is completed. The NRT can be found here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUs...

Download a fresh copy and install:

www.norton.com/n360p_6 (Premiere Edition)

Once installation is complete, open N 360 and manually Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond "no more updates found". If a reboot is requested, reboot and then continue to Run LiveUpdate until it responds "no more updates found" and then reboot one last time.

Once totally updated, see if the Norton Tolbar and ID Safe load and don't forget to Restore/Import your ID Safe data if it isn;t present.

Please keep us posted.

FYI - The Norton Removal Tooll clenas up any left over digital debris/corrput install/uninstall situations which mayhave occured if you did just and uninstall/reinstall.