Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
jefkebazaar

Re: Norton patch causes Firefox 24 to crash

I hope you're not seriously asking this of your users?

<quote>

The order may not have a bearing on this particular issue, but I asked because it often does cause problems. If FF is upgraded before the Norton Toolbar update is installed, it MAY cause some kind of issue that we have found is corrected by uninstalling both products and installing the latest Norton, then installing the latest FF.

This issue seems to be something else.

</quote>

This is definitely not what a user of some commercial software expects of a qualitative software... So basically you need to tell your customers in what order to upgrade his software and if it doesn't work, please uninstall it all and start over? Come on...

My suggestion would be: if the order of upgrading is really that important, include it in your test process before releasing and immediately before releasing into production, include a fix that prevents this of being a dependency...

Tony_Weiss
Topics: 554
Kudos: 1,984
Solutions: 303

Hey everyone, this is getting a bit heated, and I want to take the temperature down a bit. Our team has been working to resolve the crashes that many of you are seeing. We're testing out the fix for this issue, and should have some more information to you shortly.

Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation
Contributor
CheckMate

[ Edited ]

peterweb wrote:

CheckMate wrote:

peterweb wrote:

Which order did you update the two programs? It is advised to be sure Norton has the FF toolbar update before allowing FF to upgrade.

Try clicking on Support - Get Support to run  Autofix to check your Norton installation and fix what it finds.

The order of upgrade has nothing to do with this. I have reinstalled Firefox 24 more than once since the NIS upgrade and I still get crashes. I'm disabling the Norton Toolbar to test that and I'll report back. By the way, where is it "advised" to upgrade the Norton Toolbare update before allowing FF to upgrade? Tony Weiss never said any such thing and logically it makes no sense to me that it should make any difference, except for coincidence But I think I updated Norton first, as soon as it was available. Whenever there's an update fo the Toolbar, there's a pop up asking to allow it to install. With Firefox 4.0, which was the last major delay in updating the Toolbar, before I suggested very strongly that Norton Developers and Mozilla's Developers needed to coordinate the Toolbar ahead of time in the future, since Mozilla was no longer locking in the source code five months in advance anymore,   the hot fix was released two weeks AFTER the update of Firefox, not before. And the the later patch was realease after that.

Running AutoFix also had no effect. It found no problems with the installation.

The order may not have a bearing on this particular issue, but I asked because it often does cause problems. If FF is upgraded before the Norton Toolbar update is installed, it MAY cause some kind of issue that we have found is corrected by uninstalling both products and installing the latest Norton, then installing the latest FF.

This issue seems to be something else.

Hi peterweb,

Thanks for confirming that the order of updating has nothing to do with this issue. I  understand why you asked the question about the order of updates and it's a very reasonable question. My only objection was the the general admonition that "it is advised" to update the Toolbar first, not the fact that you asked about it. Logically you couldn't possibly do a clean re install of Firefox, later, which I've done, now and many other times,  in which case you would be installing the Toolbar update AFTER that, without re installing Norton again. That makes no sense, because according to that logic, you'd have to re install Norton every time you later re installed Firefox. And if you're simply referring to the Norton Toolbar being available, first, I don't see how that would  normally be true, because there are updates of the Toolbar with various vesions of Firefox, again with a pop up to allow the installation and I've never seen a problem with that, either. But isolated issues like that can certainly occur with many things.

Anyway, we both agree it's not an issue with the current problem. I'm still testing with the Toolbar disabled. So far, no crashes, but I have to give it a lot more time, then I'l try to see if there's any interaction with any other addons. Thanks for your input.

Regards,

CheckMate

Contributor
CheckMate

Tony_Weiss wrote:

Hey everyone, this is getting a bit heated, and I want to take the temperature down a bit. Our team has been working to resolve the crashes that many of you are seeing. We're testing out the fix for this issue, and should have some more information to you shortly.

Hi Tony,

Great news! Thank you for the update, that's very reassuring. I always have confidence in you guys, because you listen and the Developers are the best in the world.  I'll keep them updated on the Firefox Forum.

Best Regards,

CheckMate

SGFC
Topics: 73
Kudos: 67
Solutions: 16

[ Edited ]

I am not really worried about the toolbar. As I never really use it. I am just use to seeing it when I open a web browser. Kind of like seeing someone without glasses for the first time.

Glad there's a fix on the way.

Capture.PNG

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit / Norton Internet Security 2014
Regular Contributor
blue50moon

Im not upset with norton because when I look at the FF24 crash log it seems to point to AMD adapter and my drivers are fully up to date, So im pointing the finger at FF24

SGFC
Topics: 73
Kudos: 67
Solutions: 16

blue50moon wrote:

Im not upset with norton because when I look at the FF24 crash log it seems to point to AMD adapter and my drivers are fully up to date, So im pointing the finger at FF24

If it is a problem with AMD. You might want to disable hardware acceleration in both Firefox and your AMD settings. That might solve your problem until Mozilla updates or AMD issues a fix.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit / Norton Internet Security 2014
Regular Contributor
blue50moon

Thanks SGFC, I tried that with FF I didnt know about the AMD settings. Im kinda afraid to mess with the AMD thats what got me into problems where I had to do a system recovery and ended up reinstalling things. Ill stick with FF23 for now Im still safe with norton lit up

Contributor
CheckMate

[ Edited ]

An update on my testing  with  the Norton Toolbar, version 2014.5.1.4, disabled. Still no crashes after more than 24hrs.

I updated  NIS first, to version 21.0.1.3, when it was available, not because it makes a difference. The Toolbar was updated with it, to 2014.5.1.4.

Updated to Firefox 24 on 9/17. Started having crash problems and submitted reports.

Reinstalled Firefox and enabled the Toolbar, but the crashes continued.

Testing the crashes in Safe Mode was not practical because I wasn't getting the crashes that frequently, so to prove it would have meant leaving it in safe mode for a couple of days to prove there are no crashes without the addons. I supected the Toolbar early on anyway, because there were no other new addons and no problems with any of them.

Finally, disabling the Toolbar stopped the crashes completely.

Regular Visitor
ers2258

Uninstalling both Norton 360 AND Firefox 24.0 completely IS EXACTLY what I ultimately tried as a potential fix. I then re-installed Norton 360 AND the Patch (FIRST) and then redownloaded and Re-installed Firefox 24.0 AND all of my Add-Ons (SECOND) and guess what? Firefox 24.0 now CRASHES worse than ever!

So I can clearly attest that the order of Re-installation DID NOT WORK AT ALL! And I agree that it is absolute BULL**bleep** that Norton would ask or suggest that it's 360 Product customers do this procedure.