Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
muggins14
Accepted Solution

Firefox update/Norton Toolbar

I have just spent 3 hours following all the advice available since updating my Firefox to the latest version.

I have pressed the LiveUpdate button on my Norton IS (which is up-to-date according to the Norton website) about 50 times, re-booting my system, checking again and again on the Add ons to see whether it would let me enable the Norton toolbar, but all to no avail.  I have finally decided to revert back to an older version of Firefox as I really use the Vault (which I find doesn't complete passwords/login info unless you have the toolbar - even though I've opened the vault in Norton IS) a lot. 

All the advice on this community suggests the above, that the update for Firefox is included in the LiveUpdates but obviously that's not the case.

Any advice that could be written down in a basic, user-friendly way (for a non-techy user) so that I can update my Firefox to the latest version and STILL have a Norton toolbar and use my vault as it's meant to be used?

yank
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 512

Re: Firefox update/Norton Toolbar

Hi muggins14,

This is a situation I have come across before in NIS, N360 and NSS with previous FF upgrades. Following the exact procedure that follows has produced the desired results of the NTB appearing in FF. Do not add any addtional steps such as running the Norton Removal Tool, as that may cause you to lose your ID Safe, customised settings and will also remove any other Norton programs you may happen to have installed.

It is highly recommended you export your ID Safe data prior to starting this procedure.  You should notlose it during the procedure - but please export it as a precautionary measure.

Please do the following in the order I list:

Totally uninstall Firefox

Download a fresh copy of Firefox 19.0. from here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

Install the fresh copy of firefox.

Download a fresh copy of your Norton product from here:

NIS - www.norton.com/nis20

NAV - www.norton.com/nav20

N360 Standard - www.norton.com/n360s_20

N360 Premier - www.norton.com/n360p_20

Remove   your Norton product using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs if you are using XP) - do not run the NRT as you'll want to keep your Identitiy Safe and other settings.

Install the fresh copy of your Norton product. Run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested by LiveUpdate) as many times as necessary for it to respond with the specific words  "no updates found" .

Once all that is done in the order I am asking for you to do it, please check Firefox 17.0 and let us know the version number and also look at "Add-on's" and see if Norton Toolbar 2013.3.0.26 and Norton Vulnerability Protection 11.1.1.5-3 are listed and shown as enabled.

Do you now have the Norton Toolbar in FF 19.0.?

Please let us know how this goes.

Contributor
muggins14

Sorry to reply so late.

You say do this in the order you state:  You state to download a new copy of Norton IS before you suggest deleting the old one ... is that correct, as I'm just going to follow exactly what you say tonight. 

Also, how do you export ID Safe... what does this mean and what do I do (talking to a Mum using a PC here, not techy at all :D)

Cheers.

Contributor
muggins14

Just googled how to export data and have done it, so no need to  answer the ID Safe part of my question ... Google is my friend :D

Contributor
muggins14

Right, all was successful, yay.

I deleted Firefox 18 that I'd gone back to, uploaded FF 19.

I deleted,  through Uninstall program, Norton.

I re-installed Norton IS and did Live Update as often as it asked, restarting when asked.  It finally added the patch.

After no more LiveUpdates to add I opened Firefox, which asked me if I wanted to approve the Norton Toolbar add-on, which of course I did, so all is now good.

Thank you very much for your help :)

yank
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 512

Hi muggins14,

You are quite welcome for the assist and very glad you got it sorted out. 

Yes I did suggest you download the new version of NIS - because by downloading it prior to removing yur current version, you still have protection as your current version of Norton is still protecting you.  :smileywink:

I'm glad you found how to export on Google - if you ever use the forum again and run into a situation where you are not sure of something - please stop and come back and ask for asssitance - that is what we are here for.....and yes, we can talk Mum if need be.