Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
BrettOnTheNet

Identity Safe really slowing down login (and maybe other things too)

[ Edited ]

Hi there

I'm having trouble with an extremely slow computer at the moment. I am running Norton 360 (up to date) with Firefox 12 and sometimes Chrome.

Whenever I go to log into a site, I experience a very long delay after pressing Submit or Log In. Up to 10 seconds before there is any response at all. 

If I turn Identity safe off before I press Login or Submit this delay disappears completely. 

This happens on every login/submit button I have tried across many websites.

Also while I have Identity safe activated my computer seems to run at a crawl. All sorts of problems. I turn Identity Safe off and the problems seem to go away 

Any idea what the problem might be? It's extremely frustrating!

Thanks!

Brett

dickevans

Re: Identity Safe really slowing down login (and maybe other things too)

BrettOnTheNet wrote:

Hi there

I'm having trouble with an extremely slow computer at the moment. I am running Norton 360 (up to date) with Firefox 12 and sometimes Chrome.

Whenever I go to log into a site, I experience a very long delay after pressing Submit or Log In. Up to 10 seconds before there is any response at all. 

If I turn Identity safe off before I press Login or Submit this delay disappears completely. 

This happens on every login/submit button I have tried across many websites.

Also while I have Identity safe activated my computer seems to run at a crawl. All sorts of problems. I turn Identity Safe off and the problems seem to go away 

Any idea what the problem might be? It's extremely frustrating!

Thanks!

Brett

Hi Brett,

I won't discount the problem is identity safe but I don't think that that can be the olly cause of the problem. What security software do you have installed? How about your operating system? Have you updated to FF13 and also the latest version of ID safe? Are you using a local vault or the online version?

Just to make sure that ID safe isn't the problem can you do a control panel uninstall and then reinstall it. Go hrere for the new copy:

https://identitysafe.norton.com/?inid=hho_FreeTools_us_2012_Apr_Identity&ctb_product=Norton%20Identi...

Hope this helps

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Contributor
BrettOnTheNet

Hi Dick.

I am using Identity Safe as a part of Norton 360. It's totally up to date. I am certain it's Identity Safe/Norton Confidential. I have had major major problems tonight with crashes etc. I could not get any browser to open at all until I turned Identity Safe off in 360.

But I managed to get Chrome working. I still can't open Firefox. I have not upgraded to FF13 because the upgrade process tells me Norton Identity safe does not work with FF13 and will be turned off. I am on FF12. In fact I had no problems at all until I upgraded to FF12. That seemed to be the start of the problems.

I am using the online version, not a local vault.

Does your link to reinstall Identity Safe still apply now that you know I am using 360?

Thanks

Brett

Contributor
BrettOnTheNet

I should add... Chrome was telling me Norton Confidential  was crashing

dickevans

BrettOnTheNet wrote:

Hi Dick.

I am using Identity Safe as a part of Norton 360. It's totally up to date. I am certain it's Identity Safe/Norton Confidential. I have had major major problems tonight with crashes etc. I could not get any browser to open at all until I turned Identity Safe off in 360.

But I managed to get Chrome working. I still can't open Firefox. I have not upgraded to FF13 because the upgrade process tells me Norton Identity safe does not work with FF13 and will be turned off. I am on FF12. In fact I had no problems at all until I upgraded to FF12. That seemed to be the start of the problems.

I am using the online version, not a local vault.

Does your link to reinstall Identity Safe still apply now that you know I am using 360?

Thanks

Brett

Brett,

That link is for the vault only

This one will provide a fresh copy of 360 for your system.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20110217171332EN

Be sure to run live update. The FF13 compatibility patch will require a reboot

I'd suggest that you disable or remove Norton Confidential. There may be a conflict with the identity safe.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick
Contributor
BrettOnTheNet

Hi there

Thanks for that. I am trying to remove and reinstall now, but it seems to be taking FOREVER to uninstall. It's been running for 30 minutes already. Is that normal?

If it's halfway through an uninstall am I going to stuff things up if I reboot.

How long do I wait? 

Thanks

Brett

dickevans

BrettOnTheNet wrote:

Hi there

Thanks for that. I am trying to remove and reinstall now, but it seems to be taking FOREVER to uninstall. It's been running for 30 minutes already. Is that normal?

If it's halfway through an uninstall am I going to stuff things up if I reboot.

How long do I wait? 

Thanks

Brett

Brett,

30 minutes is way too long. There's something else happening. What scans have you run? I'd recommend that you download, install, update and run Malwarebytes free scanner;

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

It's Norton compatible so keep it around for a second opinion. I ran Superantispyware's free scanner last night and found that one of my downloads was a bit more than I expected. They were Possible Unwanted Programs [PUPs] rather than viruses so they slipped in under the radar, or better said SONAR.

http://superantispyware.com/

This one is Norton compatible as well. It does things a bit differently than Malwarebytes so you might consider alternating them.

Hope this helps

Dick
Contributor
BrettOnTheNet

Yeah I had already run Malwarebytes several times.

I managed to get rid of 360 by switching to safe mode in Windows and starting again. I have reinstalled 360, and the problem persists.

Did I mention that this is happening on two machines using the same online vault. Both machines started misbehaving in the same way at the same time. And actually it was not long after I switched to using the online vault, now that I think about it.

I can't work out how to switch back to a local vault to see if that fixes things. One thing that definitely sorts things out is logging out of Idenitiy safe. But I don't want to be logging in and out of it.

I am starting to consider alternatives to Norton. I've used Norton for as long as I can remember but we always seem to have probems with slow computers and I'm starting to believe all the Norton-sucks haters!  I don't want to switch, but it just seems like there is an incompatibility now.

How do I switch to a local vault (keeping my online settings). I want to see if that fixes things. Then I might occasionally switch to online to resync things, but run local vaults.

Visitor
mickkassem

This is not an answer but more detail that may help to find a fix.  I run IE 9 with Windows 7.  The problem has to do with the Identity Safe "question" of Fill in the blanks?  For example, on www.USPS.com, if print a label with postage is selected you will sign on the the site. This part with IS works great.  Then you go to a page where the site has blanks to be filled out. The Norton bar then shows the Fill in the blanks option with one option being NEVER for this page.  If you don't select NEVER for this Page, it will literally take 35 seconds before the page will allow a page down. In the interim, there is a message saying website not responding. But wait and it will page down in half a minute. Once we selected Never for this page, the page opens fine and the movement is perfect. The problem has something to do with the Fill in the Blank option in Norton 360 Identity Safe.  I was in Chat with Norton and then MS. I installed IE 9 and reinstalled it but it did exactly as it did previously. The Fill in the Blank option is causing the slowdown. Now please tell us a fix.

Contributor
BrettOnTheNet

I'm getting this happening even on simple logins. Also If I try to go to Edit Logins it takes ages too. And while I am logged in to IS, everything is affected - even pages that have no forms. IS is messing with something for sure.

I think it may just be the Online Vault. But I can't work out how to switch to a local vault again.