Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
jahost

Identity safe online vault

I have two computers, a laptop and a desktop.  I am trying to get the online vault to be available to both computers, but can't seem to make it work.  Had it working on the laptop, but my desktop would give me invalid password.  Removed and reinstalled NIS on the desktop and got into the vault ( I think although it was empty).  Now the laptop is giving me the invalid password. The online vault seems like a handy thing, but is impossible to get working.

stolikmc

Re: Identity safe online vault

Identity safe online vault is a dangerously flawed product.  I had the exact same thing occur when my main PCs motherboard suddenly failed.  I thought i would be able to use my laptop to access my password vault is this is an advertised feature of the new version.

No such luck.  Like you I was asked to migrate the cache on my laptop and create a password.  I used the same password as the main PC and figured the caches would be merged or at worst the similar password cache on the laptop would replace the other.  That appeared to be what happened, but as the newly uploaded cache was only missing a few of my painstakingly gathered passwords, not a major problem (but is this any way to share passwords between multiple computers?).

My new motherboard came in and I quickly went back on line only to find that the main PC could no longer log in to identity safe.  I new I was entering the correct password and the password hint confirmed it.  No matter how many times I reentered the password correctly, the vault would not recognize it.  So, when offered the chance to reset the password I took it.  True to the warning, there was nothing in the vault when I logged in again.  OK, there must be a way to reload the cache from the PC.  No, the idiots at Norton delete the local cache when they upload it.  Smooth move!

OK, the laptop might still be able to log into it's different cache and I can back it up to the main PC somehow.  Oh, no way, Jose.  You don't need backup when you have the security of Norton's online password cache!   Why would you ever want to back it up?  Oh, maybe for when I forget my password and I'm forced to DUMP THE CACHE AND START OVER!

Well, maybe I can print the list or write it down, item by painfully slow item from the laptop version of the cache.  Oops, it no longer recognizes the vault password on the laptop.  Now what!

Maybe Norton isn't completely run by morons and they kept a hidden copy of the local cache from which  I can recover my passwords and excape from this insane nightmare.

Visitor
jahost

I'm seeing a lot of people have similar issues.  I also have it occasionally tell me my Norton account password is incorrect when I know that I am typing the correct password.  Since I am seeing a lot of issues and virtually no solutions, I am coming to the conclusion that Identity Safe is no longer a usable product and will begin exploring other options.  I always liked it, but disliked that every Windows user on every computer had a different vault and keeping them in sync was impossible.  This seemed like a good idea, but doesn't work.

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

[ Edited ]

Hi Folks,

I'd like to start by saying that I have been using the online ID Safe feature since it was released a year ago in NIS 2012. It has been working flawlessly for me that entire time except for some initial issues shortly after the feature was first released a year ago. So the concept does in fact work.

I am not sure why many are experiencing problems with NIS 2013. I did encounter some similar issues recently while testing 2013 and I am working with Symantec on this to try and get to the bottom of it.

One thing to clarify is that NIS does in fact keep a locally cached copy of the ID Safe data on your computer. Since it is not the same as a local vault such as we had with 2012 I do not know the location of this cache. But the cache is used in cases where the connection to the online ID Safe server is unavailable for some reason.

There is also no reason to lose any ID Safe data. You can export a backup of your ID Safe at any time and store it on your computer. You can then use that backup to restore (import) this information back into ID Safe.

This is found in Settings > Web > Identify Safe > Export Data. To import your ID Safe back in is in the same location but Import Data.

I would highly encourage periodic backups of your ID Safe data.

For those with this problem please try the following. Next time you are not able to log in please try setting up with a different password this time. Verify you are able to log out and back in on the same computer once the ID Safe vault is set up. Then please navigate to: https://identitysafe.norton.com/ and click on the Sign In button near the top right of the browser window. You will be prompted for your Norton Account password first. After you are logged into your Norton Account you should see a box appear in the center of the browser. (See image below). Enter the password for your online ID Safe vault that you just set up from NIS.

Are you able to log into the Identity Safe web portal?

By the way, can everyone with this problem tell us exactly what version of NIS you have?

Best wishes,

Allen

vault_prompt.png

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)
Regular Contributor
tinfoilhat

Thank you Allen for that detailed explanation. I am going to bookmark this so I can refer back to it. It is good to know that you have to enter 2 passwords ... first for your main Norton Account, then for the Vault. Also good to know how to get an actual local backup copy of all passwords in the Vault.

tin

Win7HP•64bit•SP1 ... N360 Premier v 20.1.1.2 (3) ... N360 Everywhere (5) ... NMS v 2.5.0.420 ... NMU v 2.0.0.232 ... Norton Snap 1.0.0.45

Visitor
jahost

Now without me doing anything, I was able to login with the laptop, but not the desktop.  From the laptop, the vault was empty.  I imported backup from my previous local vault version.  It shows the logins I imported, but when I select settings-edit logins, the list comes up empty.  I tried to export right after importing and it asks for the password again and guess what.  Invalid password.  This product is a POS.   Now from the desktop, it just clocks and then times out when I try to log on.  I saw a good review for LastPass.  Might give that a try.  I just don't know how to make this work.  When I try to login from the url, I get a big red x and error detected, contact customer support, which of course you really can't do.

Contributor
CR41

Agree with you, I'm also having issues with this, I use to have a local save but some how this has ben removed and now the oline safe has taken it's place, but when you click on edit logins, the form is blank and you cannot get access to edit your logins.

Contributor
CR41

Just an update, I have been also having issues with the online Identity Safe regards having it running on a laptop & Desktop

It keep refusing to except the password which I know is correct, so I tried to change one to a different password so that both are not the same, all worked well for six hours, but this morning, it has started to refuse the password again.  So I am no longer able to use the Identity safe, very frustrating. 

Regular Contributor
jeck123

IDS refused passwords has been affecting me too.

I initially thought that using Win 8 and Win 7 on two different partitions (as well as two different computers, a desktop and a laptop) may have caused the problem. Now that I have reverted to only Win 7 Pro ( laptop) and Win 7 Ultimate (desktop), the same problem is occurring. Both have NIS 2013 installed and regularly updated.

I have backed up my IDS logins to a .dat file on both machines. This has enabled me to maintain continuity and manually transfer settings from one computer to another. However, the "vault" log in continues to be a problem.

Is there a way to "undo" the commitment to syncing and have only local access to my logins?

John E.
Contributor
martykel

I too have a problem with the online vault.  Using my local copy was much easier to manage.

I've looked & looked but cannot locate how to eliminate the online vault. 

How does one turn off the online login and go back to local.