Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
wagygirl

Identity safe won't let me log-in!

I have used the same password for my Norton identity safe for 3 months.

It's not something I will misspell or forget. I use the country my dad's grandfather comes from and a relatives birth year.

For the last two days, I get an error message that "it is not my login password", the password HINT, tells me I AM correct.

I have to create a new login- which erases all of my data.

Thank God I backed up my info. to my computer via a DAT file or I would have lost everything.

I change my password and get the same error everyday day!

Now I have to use the 'no password required" option, which leaves all of my important passwords vulnerable.

Why is this happening?

PLEASE HELP ME.

Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

Re: Identity safe won't let me log-in!

What version of N360 are you running? Support - About.

How many characters are in your password? There has been some issues with passwords longer than 20 characters (I think).

I believe there was an update that fixed this issue. Be sure to run LiveUpdate a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
gerry_andrews

I'm running Norton Internet Security 2012 19.7.1.5 and I'm having the same issue.  Last week I had the issue on my desktop, trying to call tech support on the phone number I found on a "Norton" web site connencted me to Iyogi.  At that time I was able to log in to my norton account via identity safe on my lapton but not my desktop.  My desktop eventually started working after I eventually convinced the tech I didn't want a $169 tech support package.  Now today I'm getting the same message from my laptop.  I'm not home so I can't check the desktop.  If I go to Norton's web site, I can log in and view my licenses, etc.  But I get an error when I try to log in to Identity Safe.  I've also reset password several times.  Any ideas?

gerry_andrews

And now it's working again....?????

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

[ Edited ]

Hi gerry_andrews,

Iyogi is not an official support channel for Norton.  Some of its practices have been the subject of recent scrutiny, as reported here:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/aghast-at-avasts-iyogi-support/

When needing assistance with your Norton product, you should always contact Norton Customer Support directly, using one of the methods provided on this page:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/contact/contact.jsp?substatus=current&actstat=act...

Symantec Employee
prasanna_a

Hi Wagygirl,

Are you using the local vault feature or the Online vault feature? Can you please let us know what's the product you are using and the version number of it.

Just try to delete the current profile(let it be local or online) and then create a new one instead of using the change password option. But make sure you have the backup of the DATA ready. Just use the delete data option and delete the current data and recreate a new one and then import the backup data.

Also, FYI for online vault we don't have the "No password needed" option.

regards,

Prasanna

Symantec Employee
prasanna_a

Hi Gerry_Andrews,

It might be intermittent issue in connecting with the server, since you say its occuring very frequently just try to delete the current online vault and create a new vault. But please make sure you have the data backed up using the "Export data" option and then import it to the new vault and then check if the issue occurs again.

Regards,

Prasanna

gerry_andrews

Thanks for all the answers.

The phone number I called came off of a page that looked exactly like any of the official norton pages.  I wish I could remember how I got to that page, whether it was from a google search for norton support or from some other method, but I don't. 

Anyway, like you said, it was probably intermittant connection issues, although the first time it happened, I couldn't connect with my desktop, but I could connect with my laptop.  Same account.  I couldn't ping the server from either computer, but I guess that's normal?

Contributor
wagygirl

I'm using Norton 360 v6.

I run 'Live Update" about 5 times while online. Also, Isn't it supposed to do that automatically too?

I'm using the version on my laptop. I have no idea what you mean by "local vault feature or the Online vault feature".

Everytime I cannot login, Norton erases all of my logins and creates a NEW profile.

Re: we don't have the "No password needed" option.

It's called, "No password needed. Just log me in when Windows is started"

And it is still happening. Norton will not remember my password.

[ Edited ]

wagygirl wrote:

I'm using Norton 360 v6.

I run 'Live Update" about 5 times while online. Also, Isn't it supposed to do that automatically too?

I'm using the version on my laptop. I have no idea what you mean by "local vault feature or the Online vault feature".

Everytime I cannot login, Norton erases all of my logins and creates a NEW profile.

Re: we don't have the "No password needed" option.

It's called, "No password needed. Just log me in when Windows is started"

And it is still happening. Norton will not remember my password.

Hi,

I don't have all the answers you need but here are a few.

360 will do updates automatically, usually during idle periods. On a busy day they may happen as often as every ten minutes. When things are quiet the periods between updates are longer, sometimes very long.

The 'local vault feature' is when identity safe stores your usernames and passwords on your computer

The 'online vault feature' is when you move your usernames and passwords to the Norton server so you can access them from any computer with Norton Identity Safe installed.

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21