Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
RightBrain101

NIS Upgrade, now Identify Safe won't accept my Norton account credential

I see that this happened to others and appeared to be resolved with a LiveUpdate and reboot.  That hasn't fixed it for me.

I upgraded NIS to 20.1.1.2.  Now, I click on the "vault closed" icon on the Norton IE toolbar in the hope of opening it to make my online vault accessible, it invites me to logon to my Norton account, and promptly rejects me with "Failed to log in to your Norton Account.  Please check the supplied credentials."

I've had the password reset - no difference.

If I go to my Norton account via the NIS panel launched from the systray icon, I can log in just fine.  And here's an irony - once I've logged in there, I can open the identities vault (and everything is in there, properly) - but the toolbar continues to show as "Vault closed"!!

This is happening under Windows 7, IE9.  Don't have any different PC environments to try it with, but I've tested the online vault with my iPad app and it's working fine from there.

Suggestions?

Thanks, everyone...

peterweb
Kudos: 1,177
Solutions: 305

Re: NIS Upgrade, now Identify Safe won't accept my Norton account credential

RightBrain101 wrote:

I see that this happened to others and appeared to be resolved with a LiveUpdate and reboot.  That hasn't fixed it for me.

I upgraded NIS to 20.1.1.2.  Now, I click on the "vault closed" icon on the Norton IE toolbar in the hope of opening it to make my online vault accessible, it invites me to logon to my Norton account, and promptly rejects me with "Failed to log in to your Norton Account.  Please check the supplied credentials."

I've had the password reset - no difference.

If I go to my Norton account via the NIS panel launched from the systray icon, I can log in just fine.  And here's an irony - once I've logged in there, I can open the identities vault (and everything is in there, properly) - but the toolbar continues to show as "Vault closed"!!

This is happening under Windows 7, IE9.  Don't have any different PC environments to try it with, but I've tested the online vault with my iPad app and it's working fine from there.

Suggestions?

Thanks, everyone...

There may have been something that did not transfer properly with your upgrade.

I would suggest reinstalling using the Norton Removal Tool to see if it helps. If you use a local Identity Safe vault, and want to continue to use it,  you will need to first install NIS 2012. You can upgrade if you want after you have things working.

Download the Norton Removal Tool from here   www.norton.com/nrt

Download a copy of NIS 2012 from here   www.norton.com/nis12
If you use Identity Safe, backup/export your data.
Uninstall your Norton product with Windows control panel.
Reboot.
Run the Norton Removal Tool.
Reboot.
Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.
Import your Identity Safe data.

See if things work normally again.

You can try the upgrade later if you wish.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
yank
Kudos: 2,064
Solutions: 471

[ Edited ]

Hi RightBrain101,

First off, I have maintained my Local Vault by doing an over the top upgrade insatll from NIS 2012 to NIS 2013.  To try to duplicate your situation,  I have left my Local Vault closed - so the Button on the NTB says Vault Closed.  I have signed out of my Norton Account and thus my Online Vault. 

I have right clicked on the Norton Icon in the system Tray, Selected Open Internet Security, and then clicked on Account.  I signed in and then selected the down arrow by Norton Apps and then selected Identity Safe.  I had the ID Safe download screen flash breifly and then got the ID Vault screen with the option to sign in - which I did using my Online Vault password.  My online vault opened - but the condition of my NTB  Vault Closed remains.

So when you did the upgrade -how did you do it (over the top or uninstall NIS 2012 and then install the upgrade)? 

Do you recall being asked to move the nformtion to the cloud?  Did you have an online vault and a Local vault on NIS 2012?

Also, if everything is working properly, once you sign into the Norton Account (no matter how you get it done), you shuold remain signed in - includeding thru reboots.  So in reality, if you opt to sign into Online vault via the Vault Closed button - it should show you as already logged into your Norton Account.

If this is not happening then it looks like a corrupt install and reinstall is necessary.

<edit>I see Peter has responded while I was doing my testing and typing, with the siggestion to revert back to NIS 2012.  Just one word of caution in regards to reverting back and Exporting/backing up your ID Safe.  You ID Safe data is now in NIS 20.1.1.2 and the only way to get that data back into NIS 2012, is by using the CSV option of Export.  The DAT version of Export we have just found out is not backwards compatable. <edit>

Contributor
RightBrain101

Thank you both.

What a nightmare!  I've been using NIS since the mid-90s, I think, and every single time something goes haywire it seems like the answer is uninstall, scrub the system of anything associated with Norton, and reinstall.  It's just unbelievable how often you have to install these things.

The answer to Yank's question is that I did the upgrade to 20.1.1.2 on top of the 2012 version, which was how the supposedly-automated version checker process ran.  I had already migrated the local vault to the cloud, because the objective has been to have a synch'ed version of all my passwords on my iPad.  When I did the upgrade I was not given any chances to back anything up.  But as I said, I can still see the logins, so I assume I'll be able to back them up first.

Sigh - just what I always wanted: another evening full of Norton installs and reboots (and two more computers to go!)

Thanks again...

yank

@ RightBrain101,

You should be able to get into your vault and Export your logins to a safe localtion just in case something goes awry.

Just a thought - since you did an over install, you may still be able to create a Local Vault.  Go into Settings > Web > Loginto ID Safe abd see if there is a Create option listed.  If so you may be able to create you local vault and populate by Exporting your online data and then Importing it into your local vault.  I'm curious if the only reason you do not have the option for the Local Vault is becasue for some reason it was not created when you upgraded.  Might be worth a try to see if that helps your situation. 

Contributor
RightBrain101

It's an interesting idea.  But let me ask two questions:

- isn't local-vs-cloud an either/or decision?  Or can I have both?

- and if I can have both, do changes to the local vault get populated to the cloud vault?

If the changes don't get synched with the cloud vault, it defeats the purpose of the cloud vault, for me, which is to have the logins avail on my mobile device (iPad).

Thanks -

Steve 

yank

RightBrain101 wrote:

It's an interesting idea.  But let me ask two questions:

- isn't local-vs-cloud an either/or decision?  Or can I have both?

No it is not an either/or decision.  Yes, you can have both - I currenlty have retained my local vault in NIS 20.1.1.

2 and also have a cloud vault - used for my lap top when traveling and also my iPad (when wi-fi is available)

- and if I can have both, do changes to the local vault get populated to the cloud vault?

No, the changes do not get automatically synched.  It is possible to synch your Local Vault to your Cloud vault - but there is a price to pay (so to speak).  Please see the Sync Data Online section of this URL:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?actstat=activated&buildname=Re...

So yes, it "moves" as in removes from Local Vault and "places" in the Cloud, and then removes the data permanently from the local vault.  Crazy as it sounds, the workaround I suggested in my previous post (Export from cloud, create local vault and Import to it) is exactly how I update my cloud to be in sync with my Local.  Bear in mind I do this mostly so I can continue to assist on the forum with folks who have eithe or both vaults.  No it is not very efficient and probably a waste of time and effort.

If the changes don't get synched with the cloud vault, it defeats the purpose of the cloud vault, for me, which is to have the logins avail on my mobile device (iPad).

Some folks do not trust their logins in the Cloud - so they are the ones who want the Local Vault.  Others, like you with iPads/Androids etc who find the Cloud useful don't necessarily care about the local vault, as they can use thier Cloud from their PC as well.  In most cases from what I have seen it is the "trust factor" that dictates users preference of Cloud or Local.  There used to be an opiton to store on a removable drive - but that option has been removed also.  One more thing in regards to NIS 20.1.1.2 (2013), if you now have the Local Vault available (because you over installed NIS 2012) once you do a reinstall or clean install the Local Vault will not be available.

Thanks -

Steve 

So Steve,  the bottom line to me is really - what you think is best for your situation in regards to the Cloud or Local.

Contributor
RightBrain101

Very informative, which is great.

So here's the happy mystery:  I haven't gotten the chance to actually do the uninstall/reinstall, and in the course of looking at exporting my vault contents I've discovered that the damned thing is now working properly - that is, I can open the vault from my browser, via the toolbar button, and the logins are working and everything.

These things remain a mystery...

Thanks once more for all your help with this.  Much appreciated.

yank

RightBrain101 wrote:

Very informative, which is great.

So here's the happy mystery:  I haven't gotten the chance to actually do the uninstall/reinstall, and in the course of looking at exporting my vault contents I've discovered that the damned thing is now working properly - that is, I can open the vault from my browser, via the toolbar button, and the logins are working and everything.

These things remain a mystery...

Thanks once more for all your help with this.  Much appreciated.

Steve,

I was under the impression you had followed peterweb's suggestion and reverted back to NIS 2012 - are you saying you are still on NIS 20.1.1.2 (2013)?   Also that you are capable of signing into your Norton Account - thus into your online vault (anyway you desire)?  

If so - I agree - a real mystery.  It still might be a good idea to bck up your log-ins in both DAT and CSV format and pu tthem away somewhere fopr safe keeping.

Oh and you are most welcome for the info and help - that's why we are here, to help others.

sstrifler

Appears there are some material issues here.  I have been unable to access the 260+ logins in my NIS for four days now and counting.  Chat support folks have been telling me to just wait ... as they are doing "server maintenance" ... and that when done all will be well.

In my latest effort to resolve ... approx 30 mins ago ... the "chat guy" literally hung up/disconnected the chat when I challenged him re "server maintenance" ... he said a manager will call me within next 24 hours to discuss ... and disconnected.

Stress levels rising it would seem.