Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
garbanzo

Need to delete my online vault

At one point in the past I was using Norton Identity Safe with the online vault.  I then decided to keep the login data locally.  Now I would like to go back to storing the info online so I can use it with the Norton Android app on my tablet.  Unfortunately I'm getting a message that an online vault is already associated with my Norton account but the online vault password doesn't seem to work.  I have a hint which indicates what it should be and I've tried 10 variations with no success. 

Is there some way to just delete the online vault associated with Norton account without needing to know the password for the vault? I'd like to get back to starting the online process fresh and creating a new vault where I can export all my locally stored data and then use it on my tablet.

Thanks for your help.

Symantec Employee
viveksu

Hi,   You can reset the Online Vault after 3 Failed Onlin...

Hi,

You can reset the Online Vault after 3 Failed Online Vault login attempts.

Steps:-

1) When you are asked for the Online Vault password.

2) Enter Wrong Password and try to login.

3) Repeat Step 2 two more times.

4) You will be asked to Reset the Vault.

5) Enter the Norton Account Password and click on "Reset" button to create a new vault for same Norton Account.

Before trying the above steps can you please check whether you are able to login to Norton Account and Online Vault from Identity Safe Portal Site.

Site URL is:-      http://identitysafe.norton.com

If you are able to login Online Vault from the portal then can you please reboot the machine and later check whether you are able to login to Online Vault from your PC also.

yank
Kudos: 2,250
Solutions: 512

Re: Hi, You can reset the Online Vault after 3 Failed Onlin...

Hi garbanzo,

Although it appears in your sitution, this would not make a difference to you, but it may to someone else wanting to just reset the password - but desires to retain the information:

The Identity Safe password can be reset through the user interface. If you type an incorrect Identity Safe password three times, then you are presented with an option to reset the password. If the Identity Safe password is reset, all logon information that was saved is erased.

As usual, if possible, a backup(Export) of your ID Safe Data shokd be accomplished.  That is why I recommend you Export your ID Safe DaTA oln a regular basis - just like you would regularly backup your important files.

Contributor
garbanzo

You're right, I don't think this applies to me.  As far as I can tell I am not given the opportunity to reset my online Vault password after any number of login attempts.  If I could I'd happily do it.  Somehow things are messed up so that my Norton Account thinks I have an online vault but it doesn't accept a password or give me the choice to change the password and wipe out whatever is in the vault.  I continually get the message "Failed to login to your Norton Account.  Please check the supplied credentials."

I have absolutely no problem using my local Vault on an individual computer but can't migrate to an online Vault given the password situation.  I've even tried creating a brand new Norton Account.  Then, on my PC when I go into "Settings", Sync Your Data Online I'm prompted for my local Vault password and then it asks me to sign into my Norton Account.  I give it the new account login info and get the same **bleep** message "Failed to login to your Norton Account.  Please check the supplied credentials."  Since I just created the account and can log into my Norton Account on the web I think I'm inputting the right credentials.

Contributor
garbanzo

No, I can't seem to login to http://identitysafe.norton.com.  Even though I'm logged into my local PC Vault when I click on http://identitysafe.norton.com I get a search page and in the upper right corner it says, "Logged In As" then nothing.  If I click on the "Show All" icon I'm given what appears to be an active link with a blue key and next to it "Logins".  But clicking on it does absolutely nothing.

yank

If I understand you correctly, you do have a local vault.  If so please export it to a safe location so that you have a useable copy of it so it can be imported later if things go poorly and you loose your login data.

Next please tell us what version of NIS you are currently using.  Main Page NIS > Support > About > Version.

I'm not sure if it matters or not, but have you used the same emil address for both Norton Accounts (actually I do not believe Norton will let you ceate a new one using the same email address). 

Contributor
garbanzo

In answer to your questions, I've been using NPM with a local Vault for several years and back it up (export) regularly.

I was having this problem with NIS 19.2.0.10 over the last week and just upgraded today to 20.1.1.2 with no effect.  Also, this is all related to an issue I had a year ago that was never resolved.  You can reference it here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/How-do-I-move-password-storage-for-Id...

The new Norton Account was created with a different email address.  So I now have 2 Norton Accounts: 1 with all my Activation Codes going back 5 or more years and the new one with nothing in it.  Interestingly, when I try to sign into http://identitysafe.norton.com with the new account it says there's already an online Vault associated with the account.  I have no clue how it would have been created as I never did it.

yank

[ Edited ]

I have PM'd Prasanna_a to see if they will have something to add to this situation.

Very interesting read -your old post was.

Symantec Employee
viveksu

Hi garbanzo,

Can you please mention what message you get when you try to login to Vault with the password????

Do you get a "Incorrect Password...." message or a "Unable to Login to Vault at this time" message????

Contributor
garbanzo

Re: Need to delete my online vault

If you look back several messages you'll see the error message I get is "failed to login to your Norton account. Please check the supplied credentials."