Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
Artem

Re: Norton Safe Web: Bugs and responsiveness

Coleet, i dont have that problems, my Norton 360 v6, IE, Chrome and Firefox working very fast

chrys

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashing NIS 2012

I get the message very often, every ten minutes or so, for no apparent reason, even when the browser is idle...is very annoying and  I will not renew my Norton subscription if this is not fixed ....as I can see from this forum it has been going on and on with no solution...

Symantec Employee
PieterV

For newcomers to the thread:

- The core issue is with Chrome.

- Technically it is not a crash, Chrome hangs, then blames our plugin, then reports our plugin crashed, where our plugin made a call to Chrome and Chrome deadlocked itself.

- We filed a defect with Chrome August 2011, google keeps on deferring the issue:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=92374&

Our apologies for the inconvenience, we are very frustrated with this issue, and with Google.

Pieter

CAP52

Thank you Pieter for your responses. I can't believe people don't look through the posts first and see the answers you have provided time and again regarding Norton Confidential "crashing". I completely understand your explanation and I can either ignore the crash or turn off the extension. As a company, you can only do so much and by replying on a continual basis with all the information at your disposal + not being afraid to have the community voice concerns, shows integrity. I starred the defect you filed on Chrome in August 2011. Only 76 people have done that, so suggest more go to your link and star their displeasure!

Visitor
birwin

That is a preposterous answer. That is like a car manufacturer saying, our car won't survive running over a pothole, so just stay off of streets with potholes.

The internet is a real place. Chrome is a big part of it. You need to design your code so that it will work in any environment where it might be expected to operate. You've allowed your product onto the market when you have known since August last year that it won't work in one of the major browsers? How irresponsible is that?

Based on my experience from a few years ago, I used to believe that Norton was worse than any virus I could get. I reluctantly tried it again, when it came pre-installed and recommended with my new ThinkPad. I am sorry I did.

It is amazing that no other anti-viral program is reporting the same issue, or at least none that I can find.

Grow up and design your products so that they work in the real world.

Really?????

Symantec Employee
PieterV

Although Google really needs to address the core issue, we are not just sitting back waiting, instead we are trying various ways of working around the hang scenarios, it is not pretty, but we have no choice.

The current 2013 NIS Beta build already includes some of these techniques, and more is to follow.

If you don't mind Beta builds, give it a try and report back in the Beta forum:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-2013-Norton-Internet/bd-p/NISNAV2013_PB

Pieter

Visitor
birwin

That link is to the Beta Forum. I don't see a method to download the beta version you mention, either on that page, or when I sign into my account.

Symantec Employee
PieterV

birwin wrote:

That link is to the Beta Forum. I don't see a method to download the beta version you mention, either on that page, or when I sign into my account.

The instructions for joining and using the Beta are in the first sticky thread:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-2013-Norton-Internet/Welcome-to-the-Norton-360-2013-Norton...

maile3

You assume that the average computer user knows how to resolve these issues.  Why can't these programs just be made to work, instead of having to tweak this and that to make it work?  It's very frustrating and can get very expensive to have to call a technician to resolve these problems.  

lsgranberry

The crashing just started on my husbands laptop two days ago, 5-16-12after clicking on a "free" update from Norton.  We do not have Norton Confidential. We have 360 Premier.  In my research I see that Semantec doesn't even offer Confidential any more and that it has been having problems.  How can we uninstall Confidential.  I can not find it anywhere - no program file.  I think Norton is passing the buck to Google Chrome.