Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
nealfjr

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashing Chrome

@birwin.  Thanks for your feedback.   Can you recommend another product as good or better than what we have now?

Contributor
bethy0543

Re: Question about Norton Confidential plug-in crashing NIS 2012

@ JonBartels:

Thank You for your input, but it doesn't solve our problems in the least.

It doesn't matter if we have the Norton toolbar up or not, nor does it matter if it is "accepted" by anything...we keep getting the Norton Confidential crash notification, and there is no way to even find the Norton Confidential on our computers.

Many, many a Norton/Symantec tech has tried taking over my computer and spent many hours looking for it--much less a way to fix it.

I've followed hours and hours and hours of instructions that didn't work.  

I'm trying to save anyone else from having to go through this frustration, heartache, stomach acid, headaches and complete waste of life...but unfortunately this is the last place we come to after spending months trying to fix something that Norton should have told us about in the first place.

Chrome is now more popular than IE, so I'm guessing that means millions of us are using it, and that Norton should be telling us their system doesn't work with Chrome before we buy it and thus rely on it.

Then when we call up or e-mail with the first confusion about our computers crashing after getting the Norton Confidential needing to shut down notification, they should inform us immediately of what the truth is, instead of running us through months of heartache.

Perentie

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashing NIS 2012

I wish to uninstall Norton Confidential, how can I do that?

Perentie

Symantec Employee
Jens_Sorensen

We are currently working with Google on a solution and a bug has been filed:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=92374

We suggest you add your comments to the above ‘incident’ as I’m sure any feedback would be much appreciated. Google did partly fix the issue with the following change

https://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?view=rev&revision=119504

The above change reduced the window of opportunity for the hang however it did not fix the issue 100%. The above change made it into Chrome version 18.

I do have some questions which might help us isolate the issue as well.

1. Do you have any other plugins / extensions installed? If so, could you provide a list of the plugins?
  2. When the hang/crash occurs do you always see a message box stating: "The following plugin has become unresponsive: Unknown” followed by “The following plug-in has crashed: Norton Confidential”?
  3. Do you see a pattern
    • Does the hang/crash occur when you visit specific webpages?
    • Are you able to reproduce it? If yes, can you provide the steps?
    • Does the webpage(s) contain lots of content and/or lots of flash related content?
    • How often does the crash occur? Once a week, once a day, multiple times a day?

In general, make sure you are using the latest version of Chrome & Norton Internet Security / N360.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jens Sorensen
Symantec

Contributor
bethy0543

Hello Jens.

It's nice that someone is asking these questions.  I guess it's better (very, very) late than never.  

Btw, all of these questions can be answered by the Symantec techs who have been listening to us telling them all of these answers over and over and over again (as well as experiencing them when they take over our computers).

There is no such thing as "partly" fixing this problem.  Either our computers are crashing or they aren't.  Kinda like being a "little pregnant"...not possible.

1.  Everyone has a "flash" plug-in.  I'm not knowlegeable enough to know what else everyone has--but you folks are.

2. Yes, I do get that notification sometimes, but not most of the time.  Most of the time it's only about Norton Confidential needing to close, and this happens while the computer completely freezes up and can take 5 or 10 minutes to work through.

After that happens, you cannot use your computer for anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours.

3. This does not happen only with specific web pages.  

I have tried to reproduce it myself (many times with Norton techs watching my computer at the same time) but it just sneaks up on me and occurs.  

It can occur on any page, no matter of how much flash content is being used.  At one time I thought it did, but it's not.  I might expect the computer to slow down on the Rolling Stone webpage or the Bid Cactus webpage, but it still isn't an automatic thing to occur.

Sometimes it happens all day/week long, and sometimes it happens (*only*) a couple of times a day.

I use the latest version of Chrome and the latest version of NIS, which I do not get from a package anywhere, but directly from the Norton website.  

I regularly update my NIS a few times a day (both before I connect with Google Chrome and before I turn off my computer at night as well as a couple of times during the day--particularly after my computer crashes and I am forced to re-boot).

I regularly erase (clear) my stored information (visited webpages, filled information, passwords, cookies, temporary internet files, Inprivate filtering data)--both before I even connect with Chrome, before turning off my computer at night, after every time I am forced to re-boot my computer and very often during the day.  I think (but I am not sure) that this might help to keep my computer running for stretches that are a little longer--but then again, the crashing still happens, so I really don't know.

If you need more answers to these questions, you can easily poll all the techs in India, The Phillipines and I can't remember the other country I reach when I call for help with my NIS.  

They have been listening to and experiencing all of our anguish for the last year this has been torturing us all--and thus torturing all of them.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

[ Edited ]

bethy0543 wrote:

Most of the time it's only about Norton Confidential needing to close, and this happens while the computer completely freezes up and can take 5 or 10 minutes to work through.

After that happens, you cannot use your computer for anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours.

I'm not sure why it would take up to a couple of hours for the computer to become responsive again - that seems way too long.  However, what often causes a computer to freeze immediately after a crash is that Windows Error Reporting seizes the system resources to compile an error report for submission to Microsoft.  You can avoid this by turning off error reporting completely, or by excluding the specific program, such as Norton or Chrome, from error reporting.

Contributor
bethy0543

@SendofJive:

I don't know why the whole thing happens.

The whole experience is too long and should never happen.

The computer freezes up before the crash, and the notifications come as it's all happening.  The computer slows down to a sludge pace and you cannot control anything it chooses to do.

I'm glad you tried to think of some reasons, but honestly...I have not exaggerated anything I've written about.  I'm trying to get someone to help people like myself.  

Unfortunately, I am not an island.  I am a regular user of Chrome who has NIS, and there are thousands of us out here who:

A. Pay for something that we are not informed of beforehand that we shouldn't be using;

B. Are lied to by Symantec, having people pretend over and over again that this isn't a (common) problem, and making us think this is something each of us individually are experiencing and there is something else going on.

SendofJive, if this were something easy to resolve, don't you think someone else would've thought of what you wrote already (unless they hadn't experienced this thousands of times through complaints to their tech-centers)?

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,861
Solutions: 780

Hi bethy0543,

What I suggested (disabling error reporting) might solve the issue of the PC becoming unresponsive immediately after a crash.  It was not intended as a remedy for the issue, which Symantec and Google are working on.

Visitor
birwin

nealfjr,  I recommend Avast. I previously used Avast and had very good luck with it, but I have also heard very good things about Kaspersky.

I never had a crash in Chrome with Avast.

Contributor
nealfjr

@birwin - i'll have to look at both of them but trust your opinion on Avast.  thanks for the resources.