Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
oraya

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashing NIS 2012

[ Edited ]

You can't blame norton, it's google you need to be complaining to.  Didn't you read Nortons reply, they have opened a bug report, they now have to wait for google to respond.  They don't have access to their source code, Norton's can only work on this with googles co-orporation.  I'd also like to point out you'll never get as good a customer support with any of the other AV's out there.  Norton do actually care.  They have helped me one to one on loads of occasions. And it's the only software maker that I know that will give you FREE upgrades to the latest version of software as long as you have a valid virus def'ernitions subscription.  No other company does that.

So to sum it up, if everyone stops having a go at Nortons and actually take out your frustration with google, they may pull their fingers out and do something about it.

Linda

*Been a Norton user since the begining around 1989/90, you guys rock.  Thank you for doing the great job you do.  I for one appriecate it!!!  

Regular Visitor
brush-head

Oraya is right - keep posting to the chromium thread mentioned earlier by Norton - make this a squeaky wheel issue.

Grahame888

Ordinarily I would agree with Oraya and Brush-head... however I am now getting the crash of Norton Confidential when Google chrome is not running.

It occurs at various times after bootup, both when Chrome has been run after boot and when it has not been run.

So it is both an issue with the Norton product and Google chrome. Additionally, that Chrome exacerbates the issue.

Symantec, you will need to start looking at this in addition to Google working on it as well.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this for all your customers.

Tim_Lopez
Topics: 353
Kudos: 1,512
Solutions: 890

[ Edited ]

Hello Grahame888,

This thread is discussing a crash that reportedly happens INSIDE of Google Chrome. Chrome will display a message saying that Norton Confidential has crashed when it has not. See the second message in this thread for a screenshot. 

If you're seeing a crash that happens outside of Google Chrome, then it's a completely different crash. While it may look the same because it's the same component, the cause would be completely different.

Feel free to start a new thread for your crash issue that occurs outside of Chrome and we'll take a look at it. :smileyhappy:

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Contributor
malpaso

The funny thing is, why isn't the Symantec employees on here telling us what Norton Confidential even is? What made it such a necessary addition to the 2012 product. As most everyone on here has said, 2011 worked like a charm. 2012, though, has been a problem especially with Confidential and Chrome. What exactly is Confidential and what does it do that is important enought to have? Perhaps opting out of Confidential plug-in should be an option.

Oh, and it still is hanging up Chrome. Once the pages start to slow to a crawl, I know the "Norton Confidential plug-in has crashed" pop-up is coming. One for each opened tab. It's getting very tiresome.

Tim_Lopez

Hello malpaso,

Norton Confidential is the name of the feature. It's the Phishing Protection, IPS Protection, Identity Safe, and Norton Toolbar features. We used to sell them as a separate product called "Norton Confidential".

nco.jpg

It's now integrated with Norton Internet Security and Norton 360.

The reason why you don't see this issue with 2011 or 2010 is because we didn't support Chrome in those versions. However, as mentioned in THIS post, this is an issue that Google will need to fix in Chrome as Norton Confidential isn't actually causing the problem yet it is being caught in the problem that needs to be corrected by Google. 

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do until this issue is resolved by Google. We're trying to get this resolved as soon as possible, but it's ultimately up to Google as to when they'll address this. 

Sorry for the trouble! Hopefully Google will fix it soon. :smileyhappy:

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Symantec Corporation
Regular Visitor
SamDman

HI All,

Was just reading the mentioned by Tim_Lopez earlier and found that there was an updat yesterday to  try the Google Canary.

SEE:   http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=92374&

Also :    http://tools.google.com/dlpage/chromesxs

Claimed to be fixing these issues:

May help......Have not got a chance to test......so do reply back. :manhappy:

Silent Spectator.

All help is thankfuly appreciated.

Tim_Lopez

Hello SamDman,

Our Engineering Team will take a look at this and see if this is still reproducible. As you may or may not know, we don't support pre-release builds of Google Chrome, so you may not be able to see if this is working until the fix makes it in to a final release of Chrome when we support it or are compatible. 

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Symantec Corporation
Contributor
tzon89

Norton Identity Protection (toolbar) plugin freezes Google Chrome on certain websites

Google Chrome stops responding on a certain website for a few seconds when loading it; it freezes again when surfing through it's links. The website I'm referring to is http://tro-ma-ktiko.blogspot.com/ but I think this behavior occurs on all *.blogspot.com websites. I have hidden Norton Toolbar without disabling Norton Identity Protection or any other browser protection feature. I have not installed any other plugin on Chrome. When disabling Symantec's plugin, the website loads normally (without freezing).

Visitor
Tazzman71

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashes on me

WHY DO I KEEP GETTING MESSAGE FROM TIME TO TIME ABOUT NORTON CONFIDENTIAL PLUG-IN KEEPS CRASHING ON ME & SEEING THAT YELLOW BAR ACROSS MY SCREEN,IS THERE ANYTHING THING THAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS