Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Tim_Lopez
Topics: 353
Kudos: 1,512
Solutions: 890

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashes on me

Tazzman71 wrote:

WHY DO I KEEP GETTING MESSAGE FROM TIME TO TIME ABOUT NORTON CONFIDENTIAL PLUG-IN KEEPS CRASHING ON ME & SEEING THAT YELLOW BAR ACROSS MY SCREEN,IS THERE ANYTHING THING THAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS

Hello Tazzman71,

There's lot of valuable information about this in this thread. Feel free to give it a look to get caught up. 

Here's a few key posts: 

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Confidential-plug-in-crashing-...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Confidential-plug-in-crashing-...

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Symantec Employee
viveksu

Re: Norton Identity Protection (toolbar) plugin freezes Google Chrome on certain websites

Hi,

1) Can you please mention the version of NIS you have in the machine. (Please check the veersion number under "Support"->"About").

2) Can you please tell us the version of Chorme browser and the OS you have?

Contributor
tzon89

Re: Norton Identity Protection (toolbar) plugin freezes Google Chrome on certain websites

1) I am using NIS 19.5.0.145

2) Google Chrome version 16.0.912.77m and Windows 7 Professional SP1 with the latest updates

I'm using Norton in the English language but Windows and Chrome in Greek.

Visitor
mvlopes

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashing NIS 2012

I have installed Norton Internet Security 2012 and my Internet Browser is

Chrome Version - 170.963.46m, which is most updated so far.

Chrome browser hangs a few times each day because the crash of

Norton Confidential plug-in  crashes. Usually these hangs takes more or

less 1 minute, which is an eternity.

There is any patch for this issue? Anybody can help?

Visitor
canada77

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem as tzon89 and mvlopes.  Google Chrome hangs on most websites for 1-2 seconds before the screen shifts slightly and then it returns to normal.  A black outline also occurs on the status message (i.e. "waiting for http://.....") at the bottom left corner of the screen.  The hang basically makes Chrome unusable.

Disabling the Norton Identity Protection extension returns Chrome to normal behavior, so it seems that the extension is what's causing the issue.  This problem has occurred for approximately 1 week - prior to that it was fine.

Here are the details you asked for from the previous poster:

Chrome version: 17.0.963.46

NIS version: 19.5.0.145

Norton Identity Protection extension version: 2012.5.0.140

DebbieLong

I also disabled the Norton Confidental on my Chrome toolbar but found after a few days it still made it unstable I've now uninstalled the plug in and my Chrome is back to it's usual fast self as to be honest I don't find this plug in necessary as who logs into Facebook and places like that using this as it seems to just crash the browser the second it opens, hence my reason for removing it from Extensions.

Simreaper

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who got so tired of Norton Confidental plug in has crashed that the only way it seems to deal with it is to disable then remove it from Extensions in Chrome as it causes the whole of Chrome to slow down and then it crashes.

I like to be secure but not at the cost of permanent crashes and snail pace Chrome

Contributor
Philafilly

Tim, I'm truly disappointed in your answer.  Pointing a frustrated user to a group of postings outlining a problem -- and NO FIX is unacceptable.  Until I upgraded my security program -- at the suggestion of Symantec -- I never experienced this problem.  Now it occurs every time I'm using the computer.

I've reported the problem; spent over 3 hours the first call with some less than stellar Symantec technicians (2 of them) who scheduled a follow up call with a 2nd level tech.  He called the next evening wanting to start from square one.   He hadn't read the notes in the trouble ticket, and after apologizing profusely, admitted he couldn't help me.  Sweet.

I used to be a real supporter of this product and now I HATE IT.  I have less than 2 months left on my subscription, and if you don't offer some solutions -- even some simple directions on removing the **bleep**  "Norton Confidential" plug in, I'll be using another security program.  Blaming it on Google for not answering a posting from Symantec is ridiculous.  This is your product -- FIX IT.   What ever happened to a sense of responsibility for the product your selling?  

Contributor
malpaso

Amen. Saying "Oh it's Google's fault" is a joke. Chrome is used by tens of millions of people (I think it now has outpaced Firefox), so you have to engineer to them. And on this product you didn't. People have been complaining for months and all you do is pass the buck and direct PAYING customers to this forum for help. But there is no help. It's customers complaining about your lack of response.

Norton has regressed back to the days of the mid-aughts where it was so bloated and slow I, and many others, left for greener and better anti-virus protection pastures. Sitting on your hands for this one will replicate that exodus.

Answer the problem or give a work-around. How hard is that? 

kenwhit

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashing NIS 2012

Oh great !  Norton's fix is to go to add remove programs.   Only problem is that N.C. does not show as individual item.