Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Tim_Lopez
Topics: 353
Kudos: 1,512
Solutions: 890

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashing Chrome

[ Edited ]

Philafilly/malpaso,

I'm truely sorry for the inconvenience. I can understand how you feel that us saying it's Google issue to correct is just passing the buck or pointing fingers at someone else. However, it's actually the truth that it's a Chrome issue. We've researched the issue from our end and the issue lies within the Google Chrome code falsely stating that the Norton Confidential plugin has crashed. This is a timing issue in Google Chrome that they need to adjust. Because this exists outside of our codebase, we don't have any workarounds or solutions. We're unfortunately at the mercy of Google's effort to fix this issue in Chrome. 

If you look at the bug report we submitted to Google, you'll see that we actually reported this issue to them back in August: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=92374

We're very active in trying to get this issue resolved, and hope it will be soon. Unfortunately, the ball is in Google's court on when they will address this. I would suggest clicking the "Star" icon on the top-left of the page I linked to above to subscribe to the Google defect report. Hopefully that will help them see the strong interest in getting this issue corrected. 

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Contributor
Philafilly

Thank you for responding to our posts, however, I hate to be the bearer of bad news.  This doesn't just happen with Chrome, it happens randomly, even when I'm not using Chrome.  It's happened with Explorer, it's happened when using my laptop in terminal mode to access my company VPN. 

What kind of development team do you have that your management hasn't escalated this to the highest level?  Your company is in serious danger of losing thousands of customers, and to tell us that it's been reported to Google as far back as August is not acceptable. 

Even on the slim chance it's a timing issue with Chrome, the fact of the matter is that your upgrade is seriously flawed.  The earlier version did not have this problem, which means you've befouled your own software.  

Sorry, the ball's in your court, and your management team should take some responsibilty.  

Tim_Lopez
Topics: 353
Kudos: 1,512
Solutions: 890

Hello Philafilly,

If you're experiencing issues that are not limited to just Chrome, then you're probably experiencing something totally different than what is being discussed in this thread. 

I would suggest starting a new thread to describe the issues that you are having specifically so we can investigate that. It's very much likely that your issues are not the same as those in this thread. 

As for the issues with the Norton Confidential Plugin with Chrome and chrome reporting that Norton Confidential has crashed (this thread), that issue lies with Google and needs to be addressed by them (the issue didn't exist in previous versions because we didn't support Chrome in previous versions) :smileyhappy:

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Contributor
Philafilly

You have got to be kidding.  

I use chrome almost exclusively at work and was using it at home until this problem became too much to bear.  Now it's a combo of Explorer and Chrome; Explorer only when driven to the edge.

Speaking of driven to the edge, are you seriously clue-less as far as people's time and commitment to your company?

"As for the issues with the Norton Confidential Plugin with Chrome and chrome reporting that Norton Confidential has crashed (this thread), that issue lies with Google and needs to be addressed by them (the issue didn't exist in previous versions because we didn't support Chrome in previous versions) " ...  REALLY? That's the answer?  Down the rabbit hole we go ... 

I am NOT going to open up another string on another section of your forum, I have neither the time nor the patience.  What I am going to do is forward these comments to your upper management.  I'm sure it won't do any good, but I would have hoped for a legitimate fix to the problem, and not putting the blame on Google.

If an analogy would help make this clearer, imagine having a car that's running just fine on the gas you're using, then suddently experiencing issues.  You complain to the gas company, and they tell you it's your car's fault.  You'll have to ask them to dumb-down their engineering so your gas will continue to work in the car --- oh, and you'll have to constantly turn off the ignition to reset the computerized features because your "new improved" mixture is clogging up the works.  

Piss-poor customer support, Symantec.

Contributor
malpaso

Philafilly, is right. This is becoming comical. We aren't talking about some new limited release browser. This is one used by almost a quarter of all internet traffic. To somehow say, hey Goggle you need to fix this because we just started supporting your product, makes no sense. The gas/car analogy is perfect. Luckily we can change gas.

Also, on a side note, I don't get your "we support Chrome now" bit. I had NAV 2011 running with Chrome and your product would catch cookies and other things for deletion. It also said I was protected. But was that not true? Was I browing without AV protection? If that wasn't the case, what actually changed between 2011 and 2012? That is the problem.

Contributor
Philafilly

Thank you, Malpaso, I appreciate the support ...obviously since none appears to be coming from Symantec :-)  And loved the comment about being able to change gas.  

I too, echo your concerns about prior protection.  Tim, would you care to enlighten us?

By the way, Tim,  I work a block away from Google HQs; I'd be more than happy to pursue this issue for Symantec if your team hasn't gotten past the "Posting" stage in a Google forum.  Since your company headquarters is also located in Mountain View, I would have hoped the two teams could have resolved this by now.  Guess being a few blocks further away is an issue for your technical team.  

crashvictim

I also have the same problems with both Chrome and Explorer.  Somewhere along the way I saw someone wrote that she eliminated -- took off Norton Confidential.  Does anyone know how to do that? Is this a good solution?  I ended up calling one of the numbers for technical assistance that I found under the heading of Norton Confidential.  Almost signed up for a 3rd party technician to take off my Norton and put on a Microsoft Security for lifetime membership FREE.  I could get this service for the low price of $69 but not if I delayed.  Apparently the problem according to him was not Norton but corrupted files on my computer which corrupted Norton.  I realized that maybe I wasn't  dealing with Norton.  I would just like to go back to where I was two weeks ago before I downloaded the Norton upgrade.

crashvictim

Re: Norton Identity Protection (toolbar) plugin freezes Google Chrome on certain websites

Could you please explain how you disabled it?

crashvictim

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashing NIS 2012

Interesting how many people registered for this community specifically to discuss Norton Confidential causing crashes.

crashvictim

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashes on me

Any suggestions for other security programs to use as alternatives to Norton?