Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
malpaso

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashing Chrome

No. Apparently it is all Google's fault. And that is where it stands according to Symantec.

Visitor
possehl

I have a similar problem using Chrome.  Perodically, I receive a dialog box that states:  

"The following plug-in is unresponsive: Norton Confidential - would you like to stop it?  Yes or No"

I'm a new community member and can't figure out how to leave a "new message" so hopefully, this reply will help you get some response from Symantec. 

Edjr60

Hi possehl,

To leave a new message on the main board:

Come to the community and click on Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus. When the board opens, click the orange 'New Message' button at the upper left. That will open the Post Message page for you to start a new thread. Fill in the Subject line, then the Message field. Check your message over and when satisfied, click the orange Post button below. Your new post will appear on the main board.

If you wish to be contacted when someone replies to your post, check the 'Email me when someone replies' on the upper right side before clicking Post.

Edjr60

Visitor
possehl

Thanks a bunch

Visitor
possehl

Norton Confidential plug-in crashing in Chrome

I have a similar problem using Chrome.  Perodically, I receive a dialog box that states:  

"The following plug-in is unresponsive: Norton Confidential - would you like to stop it?  Yes or No"

Based upon what I have read in responses from Norton/Symantec tech reps, it seems to be a Google problem not NIS.  Is that correct?  If so, does anyone know if Google has come up with a patch yet?

GilhHamilton

hello.

I've only had this problem since a week, so it seems to be related to an upgrade from Symantec Norton.

But it is becoming more and more problematic, every new page opened.

It is too bad because I thaught N.Internet Security 2012 was a very nice product. Hope you'll find a solution

a.s.a.p. Thank you gilh

Contributor
Philafilly

Re: Norton Confidential plug-in crashing in Chrome

"Oh the humanity .... "

... this product continues to internally combust, faster than the Hindenberg. 

Norton support continues to be of no real help, except I was given instructions for disabling  "Norton Confidential" after several requests from the forum administrator.  I haven't done so, because they've yet to tell me exactly what is being disabled if I do so.  I don't want to disable the entire firewally (until my subscription runs its course -- approx 45 days), but if the Norton Confidential plug in controlled certain features that I don't use (like parental controls), I would happily pull the plug.  Total avoidance on the part of Symantec as far as what -- specifically -- I would be disabling.  Only warnings with the corporate line, "I wouldn't recommend it".

Well, I wouldn;t recommend this product, so I suppose we're even.  Continuing to lay the blame at Google's feet for a design flaw on Symantec's part  seems to be their only "solution".  A total lack of responsibility on Symantec's part, and I can only hope their customers leaving in droves gets their attention.    Oh, the latest insult to injury? 

My machine crashed yet again this evening (ever the optomist i booted up Chrome) and I was then greeted with a dialog box from Symantec, telling me my firewall protection had expired, and I would have to reactive my product.  All prompts seemed to take me to the activation screen -- where I was determined NOT to go -- and after spending another 1/2 hour (just put it on my tab of over 5 hours to date online with the less than stellar support team at Symantec) the agent added the 45 days back to my subscription.    I would have posted about this earlier this evening, but when the software didn't recognize my firewall, it didn't recognize my current account -- or sign in information either. 

I cannot fathom the total lack of concern -- or more importantly -- solution to a very real problem, that the upper management at Symantec is choosing to ignore.   Apparently they don't read their own forums.  Sweet.  ~ Philafilly

cmikl3518

Have had this same problem of Norton Confidential crashing when loading apps. Just lately tried to install a browser on JPL for an orbit diagram and had it fail twice...What is it and can I un-install it somewhere...really becoming a pain...Think it only started happening after my renewal...

Gagsy

I've been getting the same issue on Vista and Windows7. I don't thnk it could have been tested before it was released.

quizman

Had the same problem.

I went to Chrome clicked on Spanner icon top right corner go to extensions and disable Norton extension. It worked.