Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
F4E
Kudos: 808
Solutions: 176

Re: Norton Identity Safe crashes all the time - Google Chrome

I'm assuming you all have the Norton Toolbar version, rather than the stand alone version of Identity Safe ?

I run Chrome, Firefox and IE 11 and the extension works fine in all browsers, with no crashes.

It seems to work better if Live Update is brought up to date, and then launch the browsers. Also, I found in the case of Firefox, that a fresh overinstall solved any incompatibilty problems. In the case of Firefox especially, you are dealing with open source software....

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
Contributor
JRockZ

Super Phishing Phryer

I too have the same issues this started happening about a month ago, THIS IS NOT SOLVED YET THATS FOR SURE!!

i have tried both the stand alone and the install through N360, My version is the same as these other guys as well, its as if the IDsafe is just slow. i have login issues now as well with IE, where when i try to log in IDsafe says to login with both my email for my account and my password, i know im using the correct password because i can log in and access my account/s the only way i can getinto IE id safe is to first open N360 click on account then access norton account then go to the IDsafe page where it will then just ask for my IDsafe password only and i guess suddenly realize my account is already logged in and i can then log in to idsafe fine. 

It seems they recently changed things over to where it accesses your idsafe only through the cloud,, this idea sucks if you ask me because im pretty sure thats where my issues are stemming from,,,, my internet is not that fast and idsafe having to reach the cloud everytime i want to browse im sure is making things even slower and buggier!!

They should change it back to how it was or give you the option to access locally and or through the cloud. It seems every year when they change IDsafe its gotten worse and worse,,,, I had some issues with this in the past and i just wish they would put out a product that is more user friendly!!

I just had my sister (whos not that good with computers but isnt dumb either) purchase and install N360 and she was overwhelemd with what she had to go through to set it up (3days) she had to first install n360 then, check for a new version download that install that and then run live update and make sure everything was up to date because it wasnt doing it in the backgroud like it should and then finally setting up IDsafe, getting all her passes saved and exported to a back up file,,, we spent 3 days on the phone trying get n360 set up, properly updated and backed up!

Crazy!!! do they NOT try all this stuff in beta tests before putting out thier products? You almost need to be a genius to get this A/V and Idsafe installed!! 

Anyhow moral of this post is i have the same exact issues maybe worse as the others and so far no ones solved anything, the whole first page is everyone confirming that this guy had things uptodate and installed and that the issue was not anything other than IDsafe!! He said it in his first post yet everyone still ripped him one and pryed him to verify what he had already said he knew!! 

So thats  my vent for this year, hopefully norton will get back on the ball and get things back in order soon but i dont forsee that happening, never did last year. 

F4E

Hi, RockZ. All I can state is my own experience, and from that, assume that it's not a universal problem.

Having said that, Symantec is well aware of the situation, and we just have to be patient.

There is no point in rushing a patch out, that will cause further problems.

apfromm

Status anyone - this seems to be getting worse, and it certainly isn't getting any less annoying

Regular Contributor
longcaster

Perhaps we have to write in Arabic to get the attention this problem deserves.

I would question how much internet the Guru's surf if they are not experiencing the crashing with Chrome & Identy Safe. Maybe they are stuck on this forum saying everything is hunky-dory while the rest of us try and find a solution (want some health care?).

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

@longcaster,

I can't understand your attack on Gurus.

This Guru hasn't had any problems with Norton toolbar crashing in Chrome and surfs as much as he likes.

Remember, we are volunteers trying to assist where we can.  I know that if Gurus experience a particular problem they speak up and make sure Symantec are aware of it.

Thanks for considering.

W W W  =  Wild Wild West.    Be careful out there!

F4E

longcaster, I use IE11, Firefox 26, and Chrome current version, and have had no crashes while surfing in any of them, and I spend around 6 hours per day, on the net.

As I have said said before, I can only give my personal experience as a fellow user, and make suggestions as to what's worked for me.

I also keep my computer well maintained, and clean. Perhaps that helps, too.

Contributor
drjones

I've just had the orange banner appear in Chrome - Version 31.0.1650.63 m - saying that Norton Identity Safe had crashed - however only the Norton search box has disappeared - the "Secure - Open - Select" buttons are still there.

XPSP3 - NIS 21.1.0.18

And just while I was checking for the version number of NIS I had this rather worrying message:

Norton Internet Security has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Regular Contributor
longcaster

Does Norton Identy Safe keep a log of it's crashes?

yank
Kudos: 2,229
Solutions: 510

Hi All,

I have done a bit of research and as a non-Chrome user, I am not sure I understand all I need to understand abuit Chrome, but I also have to wonder if those users who are experiencing crashes of say ID Safe are really experiencing ID sef crashing or if Chrome is just alerting folks to the service that was running when Chrome crashed?

Here's a few examples I have obtained from the Comcast Securtiy Boards which refers to Constant Guard Protection Suite - but points out some of the ins and outs of Chrome I was not aware of (at least as a Nopn-Chrome user) but I have to wonder if others are aware of the info also?

From a post on the Comcast Security Board dtaed 07/11/2012 10:28 AM by CGPS-Support a Comcst employee who works CGPS situations:

Hello - the issues with Chrome are ongoing, and are certainly not restricted to Constant Guard. When the Chrome session crashes, it will bring down whatever application was running when it crashed, and will list that application - it does not mean that Norton crashed Chrome, or Constant Guard crashed Chrome, or MSN crashed chrome. It means that something crashed Chrome and took that application with it.

We are hoping that the Chrome crashing issues subside with the release of Chrome 20. Due to the nature of my job, I run IE, Firefox, and Chrome with CGPS, and have seen several crashes with Chrome - but not enough to worry about - and that is dissimilar to some of the posts I've seen here, and to the ticketing which comes through our Support phones, chat, and webforms. It is still not "huge." Within the next few days we will release an update to Constant Guard Protection Suite to be released in conjunction with the next browser updates. We think that the combination of this release and the release of Chrome 20 will resolve the crashing you are seeing.

For right now - there isn't a solution other than to use IE or Firefox as the default browser, and use Chrome as your normal browser - just not set as the default. I do think this issue will be resolved between our release and the next Chrome release.

Now that said, was it in fact corrected in Version 20 of Chrome and if so - has it returned?

Not saying this is the case again - just a thought - from a non-Chrome user.

From another post by CGPS-Support on the Comcst Security Board dated 03/26/2013 11:33 AM:

What browser are you using as the default browser? We do see crashing with Chrome. Chrome does not handle the browser helper object - which is the connection between the browser and the software the same way that Firefox and IE do, and Chrome seems to be more subject to crashing the more tabs/windows are open. The April release of CGPS includes a new "handler" which should resolve much of the issues with the Chrome extension. Until then, my only suggestion would be to limit the amount of browser windows you have open at any given time.

IF your issue is with a browser other than Chrome, my suggestion would be to close the CGPS application, reset the browser settings, and then restart the CGPS. After that, go to the Manage Add Ons section for your browser to ensure that the add on for Constant Guard Protection Suite is enabled.

I don't recall number of tabs opened at the time of the crash being discussed - but I may have missed it.

From yet another post by CGPS-Support dated 01/10/2013 01:13 PM:

gjacobs101 - there IS a longer term plan to fix it, but it involves a redesign of the Chrome extension. You have probably noticed that Google Chrome does not use an add-on such as Firefox and Internet Explorer use AND that Chrome is using 2 launchers for Windows 8 - one for the Metro Mode and one for the standard desktop. Our approach is a redesign of our Browser Helper Object for chrome. For now, there is no real and solid solution to resolve the crashing with Chrome. All I can truly say is that we do not see it as severe if the customer uses fewer tabs with Chrome. The crashing is not version dependent. We are seeing the same crashing with Chrome 21 through Chrome 24. We just do not see it with IE and Firefox, and are about to release the CGPS for compatibility with Firefox 18. So, the answer is, "Yes," we are working on it and we'll release a new BHO specifically for Google in Q1, but I can't give you a more definitive answer than that. For now, you can minimize the crashing by keeping down the quantity of tabs you are using in Chrome, but be aware that this issue is not limited to Constant Guard. Other Web applications are seeing the same issue. I do not mean that as any excuse at all - just don't be surprised if you see the same issue with other applications. We aren't the only ones who are seeing the issue.

The last comment mostly concerns CGPS, but does explain some quirks of Chrome in Win 8, and alerts to possibility of other web apps being affected - by the number of tabs opened in Chrome.

Sorry for the interuption, I do not mean to hijack this thread.