Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
mochalover
Accepted Solution

Norton Identity Safe has Crashed - Google Chrome

Ever since I installed the latest version of Norton I have been getting the following message using Google Chrome:

Norton Identity Safe Has Crashed

I have Norton 360 Premier, version 20.3.0.36 and Google Chrome, version 25.0.1364.152m.

I never had this problem with my previous version of Norton.

I ran Live Update a few times and Norton Autofix a few times with no change.

Thanks for any help.

Robert

AmyBean

Re: Norton Identity Safe has Crashed - Google Chrome

I'm having the same problem, it crashes, freezes Google and causes a system reboot to get things rolling again.  I'm very frustrated.

Contributor
mochalover

My system doesn't crash; I just get a "drop-down" message from the url area on the left side with the "crash" message and if I refresh the screen the message goes away.

It's more annoying than anything plus I'm not sure how effective my Norton software is when this happens.

Robert

Edjr60

mochalover wrote:

Ever since I installed the latest version of Norton I have been getting the following message using Google Chrome:

Norton Identity Safe Has Crashed

I have Norton 360 Premier, version 20.3.0.36 and Google Chrome, version 25.0.1364.152m.

Hi Mochalover,

You're a couple versions behind in your Chrome browser.

At the upper right of the browser, please click the Chrome Menu icon   > About Google Chrome, to be updated to the latest version .. 25.0.1364.172. Relaunch the browser when prompted to complete the update. After browser is open again, check to ensure you're at version 25.0.1364.172. Reboot the computer.

If you have Adobe Flash player system plugin .. version 11.6.602.180 installed on your computer, make it the default flash player in Chrome. Disable Chromes built-in flash player .. Pepper Flash player. Some Chrome users have reported problems with the built-in flash player.

Type .. chrome://plugins in the address bar. Click to go to Plugins page. Click 'Details' at the upper right of the plugins page. Click 'Disable' in the Pepper Flash entry. Reboot the computer again. Keep Adobe Flash player and Chrome updated.

This may or may not resolve your issue. The Norton extension crashing is a long running problem with Chrome. Different users have different experiences. I've rarely ever had a crash with Chrome .. other users have had what you're experiencing.

Update the browser to start with and see how things go.

Ed

Visitor
withoutascent

The message "Norton Identity Safe has crashed" appears within ten minutes of opening Chrome. I am running the latest version of Chrome--25.0.1364.172--and Adobe Flash--version 11.6.602.180. So that does not seem to be the problem on my XPS 400 running Windows XP Home Ed. Sp3. 

Barry

Edjr60

withoutascent wrote:

The message "Norton Identity Safe has crashed" appears within ten minutes of opening Chrome. I am running the latest version of Chrome--25.0.1364.172--and Adobe Flash--version 11.6.602.180. So that does not seem to be the problem on my XPS 400 running Windows XP Home Ed. Sp3. 

Hi Barry,

This issue varies from user to user. For many Chrome users, the browser and the Norton extension don't play well together. Other users including myself, have not had problems with crashes.

Although not recommended, it's a users own decision whether or not to disable the Norton extension. Doing so will greatly diminish your Anti-Phishing protection.

Ed

jcf2005

Following my upgrade to NIS 20.3.0.36, with currently updated Chrome (now sitting at Version 25.0.1364.172 m), I've been getting this Norton Identify Safe crash regularly on a 64- bit updated Win7 system on a Core i5 platform.

It is not really acceptable to provide such sloppy releases and such casual support. Symantec is not necessarily to "blame" since Chrome quality also leaves a lot to be desired these days. It's almost irritating enough to force me back to Internet Explorer and a TPM-based security solution. However, the Norton safe-surfing solution is nearly indispensible, so that keeps them in the game.

So Symantec, how about actually looking at this problem and offering either a product update or a definitive pointer to Chrome so they can try to fix it? 

bambino111

I pay for a good security software and now it does not work and so I read in the forum there is no intention to solve this major problem by Symantec and continue vulnerable to identity theft

Contributor
mochalover

I updated Chrome to the latest version as Edjr60 suggested and, so far, it has fixed the problem - I don't get the message anymore.

I waited a week to post to see if the problem would recur but it never did so, hopefully, the problem has been solved.

Thanks for the help.

Robert

amirfrom