Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
yank
Kudos: 2,146
Solutions: 501

Re: Norton Identity Safe

I really hate to bring this up again - but Comcast's Norton Securtiy Suite (NSS) version 20 does permit creation of a Local Vault. 

Of course it does not provide the capability of having an Online Vault, nor can one install the Stand Alone ID Safe in order to gain an Online Vault. 

So NSS users have a different problem - they have a Local Vault, but can not have an Online Vault. 

Phishing Phryer
avjohnnie

PhoneMan wrote:

What bugs me the most is that the Local Vault works in NIS 2013 (v20) and NIS 2014 (v21) but in order to create it you have to install NIS 2012 (v19), create the Local Vault and then over-the-top upgrade. Why can't Symantec just let us create the Local Vault in the new version? Stupid is as Stupid Does.

Jim :smileymad:

Oddly enough, when this point was first first being (heatedly) argued well over a year ago, the only reason Symantec publicly gave for doing away with the local vault was to avoid confusion (on the customer's part) and to streamline / curtail the need for support center interactions (on the company's part).  Now a year and half on and counting, one must wonder how well that "improvement" decision is actually working out for them...

Like you said Jim - Stupid is as stupid does...  So far 2014 has definitely proven to be that famous "box of chocolates" - seems we never know what we're going to get!  :smileyvery-happy:

Kind regards,

John

PhoneMan
Topics: 21
Kudos: 147
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 13

avjohnnie wrote:

PhoneMan wrote:

What bugs me the most is that the Local Vault works in NIS 2013 (v20) and NIS 2014 (v21) but in order to create it you have to install NIS 2012 (v19), create the Local Vault and then over-the-top upgrade. Why can't Symantec just let us create the Local Vault in the new version? Stupid is as Stupid Does.

Jim :smileymad:

Oddly enough, when this point was first first being (heatedly) argued well over a year ago, the only reason Symantec publicly gave for doing away with the local vault was to avoid confusion (on the customer's part) and to streamline / curtail the need for support center interactions (on the company's part).  Now a year and half on and counting, one must wonder how well that "improvement" decision is actually working out for them...

Like you said Jim - Stupid is as stupid does...  So far 2014 has definitely proven to be that famous "box of chocolates" - seems we never know what we're going to get!  :smileyvery-happy:

Kind regards,

John

Symantec should hire Forrest Gump as a consultant. He made more since then what we are seeing from Sumantec.

Jim :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
Mikejayuk

Thanks for the guidance John.

I decided to bite the bullet and go for the upgrade, hopefully I won't regret it. After some problems with the RnR tool I ended up having to do it manually using NRT and reloading NIS2012 and then upgrading to 2014. I was expecting to have problems somewhere along the line but to my amazment it actually all went very smoothly. Even the re activation  went without a hitch.

So far 2014 itself seems to be OK but Identity Safe looks to be very amaturish. The functionality may be there but the presentation to the user is awful and no where near as good as 2012 and 2013. It looks like change for the sake of change. It makes you wonder just what is in the minds of the planners/designers. But we know from these forums that they don't really listen to the users and think they know what is good for us.

Yes, the continual nag to create the vault in the cloud is irritating and chidish. If they want to use these pop up windows there should be a "Dont show this again" box to tick. All simple stuff that you would expect a professional company to have done. Similarly the share button on the tool bar. I thought Symantec had agreed that we would be able to hide/remove it. These should all be simple choices under "Settings"

I have a little time left before I have to renew my existing subscription so I can get the feel of 2014 (and Symantec's response to the issues being raised) before committing myself further.

Regards - Mike

Contributor
Mikejayuk

Found the Settings screen in Identity Safe contained the options to disable the Share and Safe Search facilities on the toolbar. IMHO it's a strange place to put them, I can't imagine anyone instinctively looking there. Why isn't there a tool bar section in the main settings. To me that would be the obvious place to make all the selections - but then I am only a paying user not a programmer or system designer.

Reagards - Mike

Phishing Phryer
avjohnnie

More counter-intuitiveness from Symantec's very own department of counter-intelligence!  :smileylol:

Kind regards,

John

Visitor
crocboy

[ Edited ]

I have posted this in another thread and sorry for doubling up but after having read a heap of posts all I can get is answers about NIS2012, NIS 2013 and NIS 2014 - What does one do when one has the latest version of 360 Premier Edition ???

Where do I get copies of the older versions?? I'm a 63 year old and this is really starting to confuse the hell out of me...

install 2012 then install 2013 over the top, then instal 2014 - WHAT THE .......... ????

I post my complete post again - maybe get some answers pertaining to my NEWEST version of "360 Premier".

Thank you all for your replies and support.

I just discovered that not only are the tags not in any order, our logins within these tags are also not sorted. Nor do we have the ability to do so.

This is a disgrace. I have used the Vault since it was first available. With great joy, I was happy to now be able to safely store my passwords and logins all in one place.

Everything was neatly sorted and I knew where I stood. When folders were first introduced things started to look even better. I understand that we have to keep moving forward, however, I have always believed that to be in a forward direction. The Vault has only gone backward with each further upgrade, I'm sorry to say.

I was first of all not happy when, without any real notice to me, my vault was moved from being on my computer to being held online with Norton. No choice was given here, it was simply dictated "you will do what Norton wants" - Many complaints - still NO solution. You just have to do a Google search to see how many.

Personally I do not like the idea of all my personal details being held in a "cloud" somewhere. Look at all the large businesses that have been hacked into recently, the latest one was Adobe. Makes you wonder how safe we all really are ??

Now again we seem to have been given no notice, nor any option to the latest upgrade, which I can only describe as a total disaster.

This product is totally unusable in its current state.

Norton needs to urgently address the following issues:

1 - give us back the option of having online or local vaults - should not be difficult, since it was there to start of with.

2 - give us at least the ability to sort our new tags

3 - give us the option to sort our logins within these tags

In protest I have deleted my online vault and disabled my Indentity Safe. And will no longer recommend Norton product to others until these issues have been addressed and fixed.

If we all did the same and posted this online we may see some action.

Thanks to you all.

PS can we please stop using abreviations like NIS NT&RR etc etc - not all of us are Norton Literate.....

Phil_D
Topics: 207
Kudos: 2,555
Solutions: 391

Hi crocboy,

If you are looking for the 2012 versions of Norton 360:

http://www.norton.com/n360s_6 (standard 2 GB Secured Online Storage)
http://www.norton.com/n360p_6 (premier 25 GB Secured Online Storage)

If you are going back to to an earlier version, you will have to completely uninstall your current version of Norton 360 through Programs and Features followed by the Norton Removal Tool.

Let us know how you want to proceed and we'll provide further instructions if desired.

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Contributor
Mikejayuk

Hi Crocboy,

I agree entirely with your comments about Identity Safe.

There have been so many problems from the day it was launched, coupled with a flawed design approach that could never be described as professional. It makes me think that this project has been used for new starters to cut their teeth and train on.

However none of this excuses Symanrec's poor response to the continual user comments. You only have to peruse these forums to see that. They really should be ashamed of themselves for their arogance and stance that they know best. The lack of a local vault in the new products forcing us to continually upgrade is a perfect example of this. What a joke.

I hope you have now resolved all your upgrading issues. If not  keep posting as the forums are far more helpful and informative than Symantec.

Regards

Mike